Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
29 March, 2024, 10:43:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Journey to get Dedra back on the road.....  (Read 28723 times)
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #60 on: 06 September, 2010, 12:13:42 AM »

ah yes, no worry, as soon as it stops raining i'll be out to tighten the plug, oh & the Dedra is in no state to get to 80mph ( i wish) any running is of a really gentle kind, kid gloves i think they call it! Grin
Hi Mark,
As the Cern suggested tighten the plug, the oil itself shouldn't be a problem with how you intend to run the engine, apart from the bloody awful smell of the oil burning and the mess it makes, the one thing that does concern me is running the engine at all unless you are sure of the condition of the belts, if one of them lets go you'll wreck the engine, at least 4 of the valves will probably get bent besides the possibility of any other damage, and you're probably looking at £1000 to repair, in my mind unless you are sure of the condition of the belts as I've already said, my number one priority would be to change them.

Brian
8227 Cool

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
toby2449
« Reply #61 on: 02 January, 2011, 10:08:14 AM »

well with the weather turning bad, & the fact i still have no garage means i've had little chance to do any work on her. So yesterday i thought i'd keep her ticking over & fair play to her she started first time, then i looked into the passenger side footwell & there was about 2 inchs of water on the floor! I've taken out as much water as i could & left the windows open to try to dry out the floor! having not sat in the car for a couple of months i've no idea how long the water has been lying there, worried now about what damage its done....
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #62 on: 02 January, 2011, 07:04:42 PM »

well with the weather turning bad, & the fact i still have no garage means i've had little chance to do any work on her. So yesterday i thought i'd keep her ticking over & fair play to her she started first time, then i looked into the passenger side footwell & there was about 2 inchs of water on the floor! I've taken out as much water as i could & left the windows open to try to dry out the floor! having not sat in the car for a couple of months i've no idea how long the water has been lying there, worried now about what damage its done....

You need to get the carpet and all the underlay off the floor, unfortunately it means a big strip out, the underlay soaks the water up like a sponge and will never dry out unless you do remove them, I had the same problem with my first Dedra, it had a car phone in originally as it was an ex company car, when they took the phone out they took out the rubber plug on the left hand side just below the windscreen drain channel, we suddenly found my wifes handbag was attempting to float in the nearside front footwell.
Same as yourself we got out as much wet as we could and even propped up the carpet and used a fan heater to blow under the carpets, but it still didn't dry it out enough, so the carpets had to come out, at which point we found that it had also run into the rear footwells, because it's a nylon carpet the carpet doesn't feel wet.
You could try using microfibre clothes to soak up the water as they are far more effective than anything else.

Brian
8227 Cool

Dedra Technical Adviser
toby2449
« Reply #63 on: 02 January, 2011, 11:25:56 PM »

cheers Brian, i'll have to have a go at it tomorrow.
HF_Dave
Megaposter

Rust , What Rust !! I don't See any rust !!!

« Reply #64 on: 03 January, 2011, 09:56:14 PM »

Happy new year to you all, I think you should get yourself a car cover, Halfords have a reasonable quality cover for around €80.00 I use a cover all the time to keep my thema and Grale dry. Also the added bonus is that thy keep the inside dry.  Smiley

My Current Cars:

1991 Thema station wagon
1989 Thema 16v
2011 Lancia Delta 3

1977 Beta sedan 2000
1975 Fulvia S3 1.3
1973 Flavia HF 2000 Coupe
1972 Fulvia S2 1.3
1989 Thema 8.32
**Other Makes**
2018 Alfa Giulia
1999 Alfa 156
2009 Fiat Du
HPEHF
Megaposter

« Reply #65 on: 04 January, 2011, 01:51:53 PM »

I had a problem with water coming into the Drivers foot well, the odd thing was seeing water coming out of the head lining. Had the sunroof looked at by a specialst and they could not find anything wrong. Only happened when the car was pointing down hill. After pouring water over the roof with the headlining down spotteda pin prick of a hole in the windscreen sealent. Fixed with some bathroom sealent.

Regards

Simon Davis
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #66 on: 04 January, 2011, 05:10:40 PM »

I had a problem with water coming into the Drivers foot well, the odd thing was seeing water coming out of the head lining. Had the sunroof looked at by a specialst and they could not find anything wrong. Only happened when the car was pointing down hill. After pouring water over the roof with the headlining down spotteda pin prick of a hole in the windscreen sealent. Fixed with some bathroom sealent.

Regards

Simon Davis
Further to Simon's comments, Dedra's with sunroofs also have front and rear drain tubes, fronts are behind the headlining and A pillar trims and push on to a stub on the corner each side of the sunroof, not a common problem, but I've know more than one Dedra to have a pipe come off the stub. rear drain tubes go down the rear pillars under the headlining but exit through grommets and holes in the floor behind the wheelarches, hidden by boot side carpets, these sometimes can get misplaced and if they do the water can run inside the boot behind and under the carpet, if not spotted this will rot out the boot floor around the seams.
Also at the bottom of the front drain tubes where these exit under the heater plenum chamber is a bulb type valve, over the years debris eventually blocks this and the water can't escape from the drain tube, this then backs up and water lays in the sunroof aperture and when you go around a corner you get an unpleasant cold shower.

Brian
8227 Cool

Brian

Dedra Technical Adviser
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd