Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
19 April, 2024, 09:29:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Beta Spyder front lights, individual or cluster?  (Read 3813 times)
peteracs
Administrator
Rebel Poster

« on: 06 May, 2010, 08:44:42 AM »

Hi

Sorry if this is an obvious or been covered before, but can anyone enlighten me which models/years the lights on the Spyder changed from individual lights to the dual cluster version. I have an early 77 S2 pre F/L with individual and bought for spares a 79 (X plate) with individual lights. I have however seen earlier ones than 79 with the cluster lights, so did they change for particular year models?

Thanks

Peter

Beta Spyder S2 pre F/L 1600
Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
St Volumex
Lapsed
Rebel Poster

Owner of RetroPart

« Reply #1 on: 06 May, 2010, 09:04:00 AM »

Hi, I'm sure there is an anorak answer to your question, but my experience with Beta spyders and Montecarlos is that they were built in batches and assembled with whatever happened to be in the parts bins at the time.   Grin So do your own thing, unless you are an out and out purist, and want your car to be authentic.

Kindest regards,

Guy McDougall
www.facebook.com/RetroPart
Rare Parts for Rare Machines
Appia Coupé S3 (Rosina), Appia Berlina S3 (La Giaconda), Fulvia 1.3S 5 spd coupé (Tigger, belongs to Carol), Beta Spyder S2 (Vivaldi), Montecarlo Spyder S2, HPE VX (Pugsly) etc
peteracs
Administrator
Rebel Poster

« Reply #2 on: 08 May, 2010, 11:59:09 PM »

Hi

Thanks for the reply, did not expect it was so hit and miss. Personally I prefer the single ones, which is just as well as mine has them on it....

Peter

Beta Spyder S2 pre F/L 1600
Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
Betaboy2.0
Lapsed
Megaposter

« Reply #3 on: 09 May, 2010, 10:10:24 AM »

Well, here goes on the anorak reply! This is assuming we are talking European spec as American spec is different....

S2 prefacelift 1600 Spiders (and Coupes) should have the individual quad headlights set in silver plastic bezels with a silve "honeycombe" grille
S2 prefacelift 2000 Spiders (and Coupes) should have the twin lights each side set under the single lens and a black grille with silver bars at the bottom
All HPE S1 and S2 (prefaceflit) be they 1600, 1800 or 2000 should have the twin lights set under one lens - the grilles are the same as the corresponding Coupe / Spiders.

From S2 facelift all variants (Coupe, HPE and Spider) moved to the same front end treatment of the individual quad headlamps set in black plastic surrounds with the old 2000 style grille.

From S2 facelift 2, the Lancia family shield grille was fitted with the bigger bumpers (not spider as this never went to S2fl2 on European spec cars)

Simples!!

Hope that helps

Andy

'73 Beta 1600 S1 Berlina
'79 Beta 2000 S2fl Automatic Berlina
'80 Beta 2000ES S2 Berlina
'83 Beta 1600 S3 Berlina
'79 Gamma 2500 S1 Berlina
'82 Gamma 2500 S1 Coupe
'85 Gamma 2500 S2 Berlina
'82 Delta 1500
St Volumex
Lapsed
Rebel Poster

Owner of RetroPart

« Reply #4 on: 10 May, 2010, 07:23:19 AM »

Well, here goes on the anorak reply! This is assuming we are talking European spec as American spec is different....

S2 prefacelift 1600 Spiders (and Coupes) should have the individual quad headlights set in silver plastic bezels with a silve "honeycombe" grille
S2 prefacelift 2000 Spiders (and Coupes) should have the twin lights each side set under the single lens and a black grille with silver bars at the bottom
All HPE S1 and S2 (prefaceflit) be they 1600, 1800 or 2000 should have the twin lights set under one lens - the grilles are the same as the corresponding Coupe / Spiders.

From S2 facelift all variants (Coupe, HPE and Spider) moved to the same front end treatment of the individual quad headlamps set in black plastic surrounds with the old 2000 style grille.

From S2 facelift 2, the Lancia family shield grille was fitted with the bigger bumpers (not spider as this never went to S2fl2 on European spec cars)

Simples!!

Hope that helps

Andy

Andy, these cars were assembled in South Africa from CKD kits too.  My S2 coupe had chrome metal bezels around the quad geadlights with a black grille with silver bars at the bottom, the same as shown in a sales brochure I have.  Grin

Guy McDougall
www.facebook.com/RetroPart
Rare Parts for Rare Machines
Appia Coupé S3 (Rosina), Appia Berlina S3 (La Giaconda), Fulvia 1.3S 5 spd coupé (Tigger, belongs to Carol), Beta Spyder S2 (Vivaldi), Montecarlo Spyder S2, HPE VX (Pugsly) etc
Betaboy2.0
Lapsed
Megaposter

« Reply #5 on: 10 May, 2010, 07:30:40 AM »

...... which is why I said the spec I gave was only for European market cars! I knew that American ones were different (the Beta saloons in the US didn't get the big single lens headlamps either), now I know that South African spec is too.

I suspect all to do with local headlamp regulations ... in the US, Jag XJS and Citroen CX / SM lost their big single lens headlamps in favour of smaller circular quad units, as well.

Andy

'73 Beta 1600 S1 Berlina
'79 Beta 2000 S2fl Automatic Berlina
'80 Beta 2000ES S2 Berlina
'83 Beta 1600 S3 Berlina
'79 Gamma 2500 S1 Berlina
'82 Gamma 2500 S1 Coupe
'85 Gamma 2500 S2 Berlina
'82 Delta 1500
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: