Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 06:26:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 27   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A B20 Story  (Read 169930 times)
Kevin MacBride
Lapsed
Megaposter

« Reply #195 on: 12 February, 2014, 11:06:48 PM »

Ref the 'kit that Jim made', is there any chance of getting him to make one for me? I have an assortment of spanners I use with a Heath Robinson method of dealing with the compression problem. I would therefore very much like to have the ability to do the job in a controlled fashion.
Chris

While he's at it, I might put myself up for a set too. Perhaps he should make a batch. Anyone else?

Yep, I'd be up for one as well.

B20 4th series (having a 'facelift')

2000 sedan
Fiat Multipla
Fiat Cinquecento
simonandjuliet
Permanent resident

« Reply #196 on: 13 February, 2014, 05:55:56 AM »

Seems a sensible addition to the toolbox, Yes please ......

AmilcarCGS, ApriliaCabrio,S2Aprilia,Ardea c'cino,S4 Ardea, Appia c'cino, Appia f'cino,B20 s4,4 R4 Sinpar, R4 Rodeo, 65 Moke, 2xR60 Tractor, 2xToselli 78, Moto Guzzi Ercole, Disco 3, Mini ALL4 JCW, Moto Guzzi Cardellino, Fulvia GT, RE Himalayan, Ypsilon
the.cern
Permanent resident

« Reply #197 on: 21 April, 2014, 04:38:40 PM »

How does the 10th February suddenly slip to the 21st April ??

One way is to totally cock-up the painting of the engine bay!!!!  In February this was painted with black, high gloss coach paint. There are only two things wrong with that!!! Firstly it should be a satin finish and secondly coach paint is not the best for an under-bonnet environment. So ........ oh well, just take it back to bare metal and start again. That is so quick and easy to say, but putting it into practice ......... that is another matter. Some 20 man days later and at the cost of two drills, one angle grinder and two flexible drives plus the usual consumables the engine bay was back to bare metal!!!! The engine bay is a real nightmare, with all sorts of channels, clips and brackets creating an incredibly difficult area in which to work. An expensive and time consuming operation!!!!

So the Easter break was spent spraying the engine bay with etch primer, then cleaning up the shell which was no longer suitable for primer, spraying that with etch primer and then ........ a step I had begun to think might never happen ......... fit the refurbished axles, then the wheels and drop the shell off the rotisserie onto wheel dollies.

I will try to get some photos up in subsequent posts ... but you know me and photos!!!

Andy

PS we did consider polishing the steel shell and finishing it with lacquer, no, not really !!!!
the.cern
Permanent resident

« Reply #198 on: 21 April, 2014, 04:46:40 PM »

Photographs, with a bit of luck !!! Theoretically, there should be five of them and all at the correct orientation !!!

Andy

* photo (42).JPG (116.44 KB, 640x478 - viewed 613 times.)

* photo (43).JPG (101.36 KB, 640x478 - viewed 707 times.)

* photo (44).JPG (435.32 KB, 1296x968 - viewed 324 times.)

* photo (45).JPG (479.48 KB, 1296x968 - viewed 346 times.)

* photo (46).JPG (486.83 KB, 1296x968 - viewed 338 times.)
the.cern
Permanent resident

« Reply #199 on: 21 April, 2014, 05:08:09 PM »

Obviously there is an area at the front of the shell and another at the back it was simply not possible to get at to clean up and prime, due to the presence of the rotisserie. Those areas will be attacked shortly !!!!

I am just pleased to have it on its wheels again. I also have to fit the steering box, the steering column, the track rod and the steering link. All have been refurbished and are ready to go !!!

Andy
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #200 on: 21 April, 2014, 05:31:10 PM »

That's a big step forwards...on its wheels!!!

What's the status of the gearbox?

David

David Laver, Lewisham.
chugga boom
Non-LMC Seller
Permanent resident

« Reply #201 on: 21 April, 2014, 05:59:44 PM »

looking really good, cracking job on the metal work

1935 augusta lusso (chugga)
1935 belna saloon
1935 augusta lusso
1938 ardenne
1939 aprilia lusso
1958 appia s2
1963 appia s3 
195? appia camioncino
1972 fulvia 1600HF
1976 fulvia coupe
194? ardea SUV  "THE BEAST!!!"
the.cern
Permanent resident

« Reply #202 on: 21 April, 2014, 06:03:26 PM »

David, gearbox status is best described as 'fingers crossed' !!!!!

It was all ok and everything worked all those years ago when it went in to store. I have a new clutch from Ron and that all seems fine, the original one was in  a dire state when I dissembled it. I will simply change the oil in the gearbox and see what happens.

The engine is a different matter ..... it is seized and will have to be stripped to be checked and refurbished as necessary.

Brakes, I think I have everything I need to restore them except possibly the reservoir unit, I must investigate that a little more.

Electrics .... they are a wholly different issue that I have yet to visit. I need to take a deep breath and jump in !!!!!!!

In the meantime  I am allowing myself a little bit of self satisfaction at having got the shell in primer and off the rotisserie!!  

Andy
the.cern
Permanent resident

« Reply #203 on: 21 April, 2014, 08:58:24 PM »

Help required please ....

Somehow, I have lost one complete set of the brake adjusters .... that is the snail cam complete with short length of bolt, the nut, the pin and the spring with its cup. Jim has made a new snail cam with its short length of stud and the nut, the pin is not a problem, but what I desperately need is a spring and its cup. Is anyone out there able to help please?

Andy
Parisien
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #204 on: 21 April, 2014, 09:10:45 PM »

Excellent Andy...bar the adjuster bit........lovely to see her on her pins

P

Frank Gallagher
the.cern
Permanent resident

« Reply #205 on: 01 June, 2014, 09:21:54 PM »

Well, I got a break from the Appia yesterday and caught up with Jim, he fitted the bootlid last weekend and we fitted the bonnet. Also the areas obscured by the rotisserie have been cleaned off and primed, so its just the doors to do. We decided to leave them for today, consolidate other areas and they will be tackled next weekend.

The steering wheel, which is in a poor state has been removed, and I will replace the wiring in the steering column. The indicator/dip switch seems to be tatty but fully functional which is a relief. Talking of wiring, is it possible to buy a loom for a B20 (4th series) or must it all be replaced as individual wires? Any suggestions for a supplier for wiring essentials?

There will be more questions in the near future as I come across more problems when I get into the detail!!

Another thing, one of the steering arm ball joints has a broken spring, item 12 on TAV 48. Does anyone have a spare please. Also, no response yet to my request for the spring and cup in the brake shoe adjuster mechanism, items 6 and 13 on TAV 42 (also items 7 and 18 on TAV 43), can anyone help please?

More to come as and when ...

Andy

the.cern
Permanent resident

« Reply #206 on: 04 June, 2014, 09:19:13 AM »

Following on from the above reference the rewiring, I have a copy of the wiring diagram for my S4 car from Paul Mayo's excellent Manual. However, wiring colours are not shown which is a little frustrating to say the least. Does anyone have a diagram complete with colours that I could copy please?

Andy
stanley sweet
Lapsed
Permanent resident

« Reply #207 on: 04 June, 2014, 09:31:19 AM »

That bare shell is a work of art. I assume all the seams are lead loaded (or modern equivalent - does lead weep moisture or something??). Looks like it's been formed from one piece of metal.

1971 Fulvia 1.3S 'Leggera'  1999 Lancia Lybra 1.9JTD LX SW
the.cern
Permanent resident

« Reply #208 on: 05 June, 2014, 06:24:06 AM »

Stanley, most of the seams are perfectly formed!!!!!!! There is a fair amount of lead at some of the more difficult areas where the joints between elements are occur where there is an abrupt change in the body shape, for example at the bottom of the windscreen pillars.

When the car was at the bare metal stage I wanted to highlight all the panel joints with a marker and photograph it, partly as a testament to the expertise of those who originally fabricated the body and partly as a piece of art. However, time and practicality  got in the way of that !!!

Andy
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #209 on: 05 June, 2014, 07:50:00 AM »

Tanc Barratt did that once - like all the cuts of meat.  If I have a photo its chemical not digital and buried.

David Laver, Lewisham.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 27   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd