Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 11:31:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 27   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A B20 Story  (Read 169939 times)
the.cern
Permanent resident

« Reply #120 on: 08 October, 2012, 07:55:17 AM »

I have one photo that should give some idea of the effort put into the rear wheel bearings.

The de Dion (in primer) is on the floor and the two 1.5m levers are there to see, this was one of the many abortive efforts !!!

The shell is on  the left on its side, the underside is in primer (well, most of it is) with seam sealer providing the pretty pattern. We need to finish off the cleaning/de-rusting, complete the primer coat and seam sealing and then get a second coat of primer on before the top coats.

Further photos to come..

Andy

* photo(9).JPG (595.53 KB, 1296x968 - viewed 453 times.)
the.cern
Permanent resident

« Reply #121 on: 08 October, 2012, 07:59:33 AM »

OOPS !!!!!!!  If you click on the blue part of the title under the photo it will open the right way up !!  Well, it did for me !!!
Parisien
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #122 on: 08 October, 2012, 08:52:00 AM »

That was a lot of effort Andy.....but looked fun too!

Good to hear you've a choice of suppliers for the rear bearings as I need some too

P

Frank Gallagher
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #123 on: 08 October, 2012, 09:38:12 AM »

VSO image resider is free and fairly painless to use:-

http://www.obviousidea.com/windows-software/light-image-resizer/

Something like 600x400 and 100k should still be fine.  We don't need to read the details on the paint tins on the shelf in the background.

Keep at it !!

David

David Laver, Lewisham.
the.cern
Permanent resident

« Reply #124 on: 08 October, 2012, 02:07:16 PM »

The help desk has arrived !!!!!!! So, now there should be attached to this, the photos that will help make sense of my post placed on the 5th.

Photo 1   This shows the tool made by Jim after the 1/2inch square drive failed  and became circular, this is in 6mm plate
Photo 2   An enlargement of the above
Photo 3   The spread jaws of my knuckle bar
Photo 4   Sheared pin of the knuckle bar
Photo 5   This is the version of the tool that actually worked, the 1/2 drive is a cut-down redundant imperial impact wrench socket welded onto the original 6mm cap plate. This was used in the air impact wrenches and 'did the business'.

I wonder if these will appear upside down Huh??

Andy                                     

* DSCF0032.jpg (82.32 KB, 600x450 - viewed 344 times.)

* DSCF0033.jpg (77.34 KB, 600x450 - viewed 359 times.)

* DSCF0034.jpg (72.22 KB, 600x450 - viewed 344 times.)

* DSCF0036.jpg (83.88 KB, 600x450 - viewed 330 times.)

* DSCF0040.jpg (88.25 KB, 600x450 - viewed 350 times.)
the.cern
Permanent resident

« Reply #125 on: 08 October, 2012, 02:57:47 PM »

OK !!!  Now the hub is dis-assembled, bearings and oil seals sourced, there just remains the

'guarnizione per ghiera bloccaggio anello esterno cuscinetto mozzo ruote posteriori',

or, as Babylon 9 would have it

'seal locking ring bearing outer ring rear wheel hub'.

This is part no13 on TAV53. I found the tattered remains of one of these on the right hand hub, no sign of anything like it on the left hand side !!! The questions are, are they really necessary and if so, will large O rings suffice?

It seems to me that there is little for them to do, the oil seals should protect the bearings and also stop grease working its way out from the bearings, so why are they there ??

All help and suggestions, as ever, gratefully  received.

Andy
the.cern
Permanent resident

« Reply #126 on: 27 January, 2013, 10:25:14 PM »

Rather a long time since I posted on this thread for which I apologise. My wife, Lynn, is unwell, but is now responding to treatment.

This has reduced my Lancia time to virtually zero, but Jim has still been round to play and 'kept the pot simmering'. I escaped today to the workshop and thought I would just put up a couple of photographs showing what I believe are two non-standard modifications to the shell.

We were concerned about the possibility of water and muck getting into the new sills past the shroud at the rear of the front wheel arch. The original shrouds were cut out and reconstructed by Jim, the bottom 100mm having rusted away totally on both sides. This meant that water and muck kicked up by the front wheels had free passage into the sills, there apparently being no closure piece blanking off the front of the sill. Also, there was the question of whether or not there should be a horizontal panel, at the level of the underside of the sill, between the front of the sill and the rear of the front wheel arch. My car when bought had such a panel on one side but not the other !!! Commonsense said that there should be such panels.

So, we decided that we would seal the front of the sills with blanking panels welded in place and install the horizontal panels referred to above. The latter panels would be bolted in to allow easy removal to check on and renew as necessary the anti rust treatment in the area rearwards of the shroud panels ie forward of the A posts. 

The attached photos will, I hope, show what we have achieved.

Is anyone able to advise please if such panels were installed originally ??

I hope to be able to spend more time with the cars later in the year and will try to get this thread up-dated soon.

Andy

* photo(11).JPG (299.13 KB, 1296x968 - viewed 344 times.)

* photo(12).JPG (102.4 KB, 640x478 - viewed 355 times.)
Parisien
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #127 on: 27 January, 2013, 10:35:41 PM »

Hi Andy, as ever, family first and everything else 2nd/3rd and last....great to hear Lynn is responding to treatment.

I can see where you're coming from with this, Jim is very talented too and I am sure the purists won't have too much bother with it as largely hidden and going to preserve for longer your B 20. Plus as removable, even better.

Keep at it, motoring along nicely!

P

Frank Gallagher
the.cern
Permanent resident

« Reply #128 on: 28 January, 2013, 01:56:12 PM »

Having reassembled the de dion complete with new bearings, there remains just one question, please would someone advise the torque settings for the inner and outer ring nuts that secure the bearing in the casting. Having had a battle royal to undo these nuts (on one side anyway) we are prepared to do them up 'as tight as we bloody well can', but would prefer a more definitive approach if possible. Also, new front wheel bearings have been installed and a torque setting for the retaining nuts for these would also be much appreciated.

I have previously put up a post requesting torque settings for the each and every part of the car, but that was met with a deafening silence .... is there no such information available for these cars ?

Here's hoping for at least some information this time round.

Andy

GG
Megaposter

« Reply #129 on: 28 January, 2013, 06:05:29 PM »

Have you checked in Paul Mayo's Aurelia manual?

B20 s.2, Appia C10, Flavia 2000
the.cern
Permanent resident

« Reply #130 on: 28 January, 2013, 11:13:24 PM »

I am embarrassed to say that I haven't !!! It should have been my first port of call !!!

Thank you for the suggestion, that will be my reading in the waiting room of the next doctor we have to see !!!

Andfy
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #131 on: 30 January, 2013, 11:02:57 PM »

With Lancia time low I'd paint the dash and hang it on the wall somewhere at home. 

Its my birthday tomorrow and today an aircraft boost gauge arrived to sit next to the pc. (I also know how much I suck, 7psi.  Blow is 2psi).  It made me think I should put the Augusta dash together and have all the clocks out of the display case and on the wall 'as a piece'.

As for all the "its got to be black" chat - my favourite cheerful colours are ford sunburst red (mine was and Jason and Louise still have it that colour) and the Austin Healey baby blue.  Are there any colours that for you make a car a happy car?

Look after yourselves...

David

David Laver, Lewisham.
the.cern
Permanent resident

« Reply #132 on: 31 January, 2013, 09:40:08 AM »

Thank you for the thought on the dashboard David.

However, its just made me think, I wonder where all the instruments are Huh?  Fortunately I quickly remembered where they are safe and sound ...... but there were a couple of nasty moments there !!!

Andy
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #133 on: 31 January, 2013, 09:44:48 AM »

You see!!  Instruments need to be out somewhere you can keep an eye on them...one less worry...

David

David Laver, Lewisham.
the.cern
Permanent resident

« Reply #134 on: 14 August, 2013, 04:06:32 PM »

I am horrified to see that my last post on this was at the end of January !!  Things are still a little awry in the Tait household, but Lynn is improving, albeit more slowly than hoped.

Anyway, Jim tells me he is making progress despite me turning up to help and the shell is definitely looking better. More on that in a separate post when I can get a little more time and some photographs together.

I have attacked the front axle assembly . This and the rear axle need to go back on the shell to allow it to be manoeuvred about once it comes off the rotisserie. New bearings were installed in the front hubs some while ago and they are awaiting a clean and finish. I have stripped the front axle beam and sliding pillar castings etc and, these will shortly be etch primed. Jim is making what can best be described as G clamps to assist and, more importantly control things, in the dismantling of the sliding pillars themselves although that particular task may not be carried out until after the axle is back on the shell. Am I making a rod for my own back by doing that, or should I deal with the sliding pillars before I put the axle back on the shell??

I have discovered that that both the bearings within the pillars are shot as are the two ball joint assemblies on the steering arm and the track rod. Cavalitto are on holiday for a couple of weeks so I can't get a price or availability for these from them at the moment. These seem to be unique to Lancia so I must pursue them through the normal channels.

What appear to be available off the shelf though are the silentbloc bushes in the steering arm and track rod. Parisien and I have acquired the total stock, ie 4 bushes, from Robush who have what appears to be the largest stock of readily available silentbloc bushes in the country. They are also very realistically priced!!!!  I understand that Robush will re-stock this bush.

So, that's where we are at for the moment, hopefully the interval to the next post will not be as great as this last one. That will indicate that I am getting some work done on the car and that I have the time to recount the ups and downs of playing with a 58 year old Lancia, not to mention a 68 year old Jim!!!!!

Andy
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 27   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd