Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 08:34:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why can't we have Lancia instead of Chrysler!!!!  (Read 5224 times)
toby2449
« on: 22 April, 2010, 07:48:38 PM »

So alot of ye have read my thread on FGA's plans for its brands, & how we (UK & ROI) are getting stuffed with Chrysler instead of lancia, which every other european market is getting. Sadly today Fiat ireland confirmed there are no plans to re-introduce the brand to RHD markets.

We came so close in 2007 to getting Lancia back, & yet despite future lancia/Chrysler having to be developed for RHD we're getting the short end of the stick. This annoys me, i love this brand, i want to see it back.

I'm wondering is there anything we can do to change the situation, if the forums/owners clubs of Ireland & UK get together, make their feelings known to FGA, would they re-consider & dump Chrysler in favour for Lancia.... i'm thinking of a joint idea as FGA see ROI & UK markets as the same market.

am i being naive?? I'm going to post this on both Irish & English sites to see the reaction

this may be a daft idea that a small group of people could lobby an industrial giant into changing its mind, but hey why not!

cheers guys!
fensaddler
Lapsed
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 22 April, 2010, 10:20:24 PM »

They've concluded there is no money to be made from us, or Japan, or any of the other RHD markets.  I'd imagine snowballs in hell have more chance than we do of changing their minds.  Sentiment counts for nothing....unless you are Alfa, in which case you've been allowed slack to under-perform and eat money for years.

Chris Owen
1987 Delta 1.3LX
2012 Skoda Yeti 112TSi 4WD
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #2 on: 23 April, 2010, 12:09:45 AM »

They've concluded there is no money to be made from us, or Japan, or any of the other RHD markets.  I'd imagine snowballs in hell have more chance than we do of changing their minds.  Sentiment counts for nothing....unless you are Alfa, in which case you've been allowed slack to under-perform and eat money for years.

I think you're flogging a dead horse, for anyone whose really concerned about not running a modern RHD Lancia, it's a case of bite the bullet and go LHD, no real problem driving a LHD car here as long as you're sensible about it, and in fact when running to a motorway at an angle, it's a great advantage.
As you tend drive closer to the kerb side in a LHD car, I got into the habit of looking up the inside of the vehicle in front on left hand bends to get a good look, of course you have to be careful when pulling out to overtake, but that has the added advantage of making you keep a good distance between you and the car in front.
For anyone who is really concerned about the view forward when pulling out to overtake, when I had the Y elefantino Rosso, I purchased a clever mirror arrangement whereby you had a mirror that fitted in the top right corner of the windscreen, that gave a view of the oncoming traffic, I'm fairly certain they are still available.
With Ypsilon there is a way around the lights and speedo, and we know that at least two of our number have overcome the problems to personally import new Delta, so with a bit of ingenuity, it's not a big problem, more a state of mind.
Ask any integrale pilot Grin
Brian
8227 Cool

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
Harvey
« Reply #3 on: 23 April, 2010, 05:32:06 AM »

It's just such a disappointment from the heady heights of what was promised in 2006. Instead of a dealer network and a revitalised range, we get Chryslers. You could still import a Lancia, but to everyone else it'll be a LHD Chrysler.
toby2449
« Reply #4 on: 23 April, 2010, 12:20:53 PM »

ah well i suppose my idea was somewhat away with the fairies!!

I'd personally import a LHD Lancia tomorrow, but there are a couple of problems....

you can't get car finance on one (being a personal import)so it'd have to be a personal loan, which the banks are exactly tripping over themselves to give
How do u get insurnace on one, since most insurance companies don't have Lancia's one their system, & it being LHD surely this pushes the cost right up?
donw
Megaposter

« Reply #5 on: 23 April, 2010, 05:34:41 PM »

Dont know the insurance market in ROI but in UK the LMC scheme accepts LHD at normal rates.

Don

Don Williamson
Member 111 joined 26th July 1963
1917 Theta 2str
1926 Lambda torpedo
1930 Artena berlina
1933 Belna coupe
stuwilson128
Non-LMC Seller
Rebel Poster

« Reply #6 on: 23 April, 2010, 10:25:49 PM »

How do u get insurnace on one, since most insurance companies don't have Lancia's one their system, & it being LHD surely this pushes the cost right up?

I was extremely surprised when I phoned up for an insurance quote before I ordered my Nuova Delta as it was listed on the system.  I currently insure the Delta with Direct Line.  The cost of insurance for the Delta 1.9 Twin Turbo is not much more than I was paying for the Alfa 156 1.8T-Spark I used to own or the Lybra (which was insured as my main car until the Delta arrived), both of which were insured by either Direct Line, Churchill or Tesco insurance. 

Stuart Wilson 11175
1973 Fulvia Coupe 1.3
2000 Lybra SW 2.4JTd
2009 Delta 1.9 Twin Turbo
westernlancia
Lapsed

Appia S1 - 2006 Turin centenary Car of the Century

« Reply #7 on: 24 April, 2010, 07:12:05 AM »

I think you're flogging a dead horse, for anyone whose really concerned about not running a modern RHD Lancia, it's a case of bite the bullet and go LHD

I frequently have customers come to me and ask if I can source them a rust-free right-hand drive Lancia (Fulvia, Appia or Flavia, usually). I tell them that they can have one or the other (i.e. rust-free OR right-hand-drive). But not both.

Britain is full of right-hand-drive cars that are rusty now or have been once (and have often been 'repaired' to questionable standards). Italy is full of left-hand-drive cars that have never been rusted, just need thoroughly cavity wax rustproofing, and will be good for another 20 years as long as they are stored inside and not driven in the salt (i.e. not at all between October and April - that's when you drive the Fiat Marea!!).

So Brian is right - time to wake up, smell the coffee, and start to love LHD (I actually prefer it anyway, especially as I do a lot of continental motoring, which means that I will be on the 'wrong' side of the car for 50% of the time anyway).

But you'd be amazed how many people choose to go down the rusty route instead of the LHD route. Beats me why though...

Cheers

Alan

00 Lancia Y Elefantino Rosso, 96 Lancia Y 1.2, 84 VW Golf GTi, 66 VW Splitscreen, 56 Ford Anglia, 56 Lancia Appia S1, 54 Ford Prefect, 54 Lancia Appia S1, 37 Terraplane, lovely old trailer, 10,000 vintage accessories
oldcaraccessories.com
westernlancia
Lapsed

« Reply #8 on: 24 April, 2010, 07:37:01 AM »

Italy is full of left-hand-drive cars that have never been rusted

(Quoting myself here - that's as sad as it gets!)  Smiley

Meant to say before - if anyone wants help looking for a nice not-rusty Lancia in Italy I am always happy to help with the research! A few basic words of Italian are all that you need (because if you don't put some Italian into the search terms it will bring up English sites all the time).

But if you try something like 'vendo Lancia XXX / unico proprietario / mai restaurata / senza ruggine passante / buone condizioni / chilometraggio basso...' etc., you'll be amazed at what you find (you just have to replace the X's with the model of your choice!).

And don't be daunted by the idea of getting it back here - O.K., you will probably need to trailer it, and that will cost £1000-1500, but you will save WAY more than that on rust repairs. And you'll have a better car into the bargain.

Just let me know if you want any help...

Cheers

Alan

00 Lancia Y Elefantino Rosso, 96 Lancia Y 1.2, 84 VW Golf GTi, 66 VW Splitscreen, 56 Ford Anglia, 56 Lancia Appia S1, 54 Ford Prefect, 54 Lancia Appia S1, 37 Terraplane, lovely old trailer, 10,000 vintage accessories
oldcaraccessories.com
westernlancia
Lapsed

« Reply #9 on: 24 April, 2010, 07:56:38 AM »

If you try something like 'vendo Lancia XXX / unico proprietario / mai restaurata / senza ruggine passante / buone condizioni / chilometraggio basso...' etc., you'll be amazed at what you find

(Still quoting myself - I need to get out more!)  Smiley

How about this, for a start, for sale in Rome:

http://www.autobelle.it/annunci/dettid.php?gb_id=109008

It's on www.autobelle.it, which is one of the best sites out there - always loads and loads of lovely cars on it (I keep getting tempted by them!).

And this looks like a beaut - O.K., it's £6000 plus import costs, but if you bought one in the UK it would cost you £4-5K and would almost certainly have extensive rust which would cost you another 3-4K in repairs to get done properly, so the Italian car would probably end up being cheaper in the long run. And this one is ready to roll!

This one looks O.K. too, although it's in Macerata, which is quite a way down and a fair way to go on the basis of a not-very-clear picture. But if the owner were prepared to send some more pictures it'd probably be worth a look:

http://www.autobelle.it/annunci/dettid.php?gb_id=107102

Cheers

Alan

oldcaraccessories.com
lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #10 on: 24 April, 2010, 11:22:42 AM »

Fantastic site! Will certainly improve my automotive Italian wandering around it for hours/days/weeks to come...

Tim

Its not the winning but taking part! or is it taking apart?
Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #11 on: 24 April, 2010, 01:32:09 PM »

Alan - I for one greatly enjoy ALL your posts (thinking about the new Delta launch as well as here) so if it takes a reply to your own posts to get you to post again that's fine by me.  That early Fulvia looks a treat - its just nice to know they still exist in that sort of condition at that sort of price for all we keep being told sterling is worthless.

As for the "Lancia / Chrysler" debate I'd rather have the new Lancias here badged as Chrysler than Chryslers here badged as Lancias.

David

David Laver, Lewisham.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd