Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 10:40:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2000 Coupe Clutch - Technical Query  (Read 4099 times)
LanciAlan
Megaposter

« on: 14 April, 2010, 02:33:42 AM »

I've just spent a VERY long day mating the engine to the 5-speed gearbox (twice) of my 2000 Coupe - thankfully both are on the bench.

I did it twice because its been a while since I dismantled it so I tried the clutch plate facing both ways and couldn't figure out which was right - can anyone advise on this?

The clutch friction plate has a "fat" side and a flat side - i.e. there is a raised centre boss on one side.

In fact the plate actually has "flywheel side" stamped on the flat side but when I put it in this way (i.e. with the raised boss facing away from the engine), and connected the gearbox, there seemed to be very little travel in the release lever and it quickly came to an abrupt stop in its travel. The clutch plate that we originally in the car does not seem to have this stamp even though it it is of the same make. Perhaps the "flywheel side" stamp refers to a different application?

So I took it apart again and this time I faced the raised boss towards the flywheel where, as my friend pointed out, "there is plenty of space for it".

This resulted in significantly more travel in the release lever and a slightly less abrupt stop. I can't test it in use yet as the subframe is also out of the car at the moment  but I think the pressure plate is releasing the clutch plate in this position - could't be ssure if it was releasing it the other way.

My Flavia literature refers only to earlier models with the 4 speed box but the Fulvia 5 speed box is similar and my more extensive Fulvia literature says "the longer centre boss on the friction plate must face outwards". However this is said in the context of assembling the cluth plate to the pressure plate where facing "outwards" relative to the pressure plate could mean facing inwards relative to the engine.

The clutch is a Fichtel and Sachs type. Can anyone advise if there is a rule of thumb regarding which way clutch plates are fitted or even specific knowledge regarding 2000 cluches?

Many thanks

Alan

Alan Murphy

Lancias that begin with "F" ... and affordable variants beginning with "Z" and "P" ..... and now with added "Y"!
neil-yaj396
Committee
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 14 April, 2010, 06:24:10 AM »

The rule of thumb would normally have the raised boss facing the gearbox (and this would agree with the 'flywheel' logo), however I haven't changed a Flavia/Fulvia clutch myself.

Neil

1979 1300 Beta Coupe, 2014 Ypsilon 1.2 S Series Momo
ncundy
Lapsed
Rebel Poster

« Reply #2 on: 14 April, 2010, 11:59:08 AM »

Thats the way my fulvia clutch is fitted. Where did you get the new clutch from, I'm having trouble getting one (10 spline 200mm) if it's the same?
Neil

1969 Fanalone, Mazda RX-8, Fiat Multipla
LanciAlan
Megaposter

« Reply #3 on: 14 April, 2010, 12:23:13 PM »

Thankyou both.

I will have a long think about it with the man who suggested the boss should face the engine and will reverse again if necessary.

Neil I got the clutch free with a spare engine. The reason engine and box are out is because the main gearbox input shaft broke - it runs the whole length of the box. Happily a spare box came with the spare engine. We thought it was just a clutch job but now it is an engine, gearbox and engine bay re-furb.

If anyone else has an opinion on this I would welcome it. Like why is the raised central boss there? Nothing acts against it from either side (unless you put it in wrong way round!) so I presume it is fatter so as to spread the load on the splines of the gearbox shaft. But then why fatter to one side rather than uniformly - presumably to spread load towards gearbox or engine side. Will do some measuring up with the old clutch, spare engine and broken input shaft.

having spare stuff  in stock is mighty handy but of all the notes I didn't take on dismantling either clutch assembly, this is the one I most need!
« Last Edit: 14 April, 2010, 12:25:52 PM by LanciAlan » Logged

Alan Murphy

Lancias that begin with "F" ... and affordable variants beginning with "Z" and "P" ..... and now with added "Y"!
JohnMillham
Permanent resident

« Reply #4 on: 14 April, 2010, 02:07:40 PM »

Is there not a clue on the shaft? I would imagine there's some sort of mark where the clutch was fitted before, which might give you the answer. It's many yerars since I last chnged one of those!
 Regards, John
LanciAlan
Megaposter

« Reply #5 on: 14 April, 2010, 03:00:15 PM »

Hi John

Good idea but between my cleaning efforts and the fact that the clutch has since been on both ways there is unlikely to be much trace of where it was before. I can really only determine where it now sits on the shaft when it is fully assembled to the gearbox and then the visibility is pretty limited.

Alan

Alan Murphy

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd