Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 05:54:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fulvia Reversing Lights  (Read 4866 times)
Tim Ray
Lapsed

« on: 21 January, 2010, 01:31:34 PM »

Hello
Can anyone offer any advise ref. the Reversing Lights on my Series 2 Fulvia which are permantly staying on.
To solve the problem for the moment I have disconnected the wires in the 2 terminal blocks. I have managed to obtain a new  replacement switch but I'm not sure where it is fitted. Is it somewhere on top of the gearbox and can you get at it without dismantling the "centre console",or should I be looking elsewhere for the source of the problem.
Any advice gratefully received.
Regards
Tim
ncundy
Lapsed
Rebel Poster

« Reply #1 on: 21 January, 2010, 03:00:02 PM »

The reversing switch is on the gearbox remote assembly under the car. If you jack the car up, crawl under and look just below where the gearlever pokes through into the cabin you will see it mounted on the passenger side of the gearbox (at the top). Once the car is in the air probably a 20 min job.

Where you able to get hold of an OEM switch or an alternative that fits? I need to get one for mine so would be interested in what you were able to find.

* Reversing switch.jpg (99.03 KB, 960x720 - viewed 395 times.)
« Last Edit: 21 January, 2010, 04:26:41 PM by ncundy » Logged

1969 Fanalone, Mazda RX-8, Fiat Multipla
roddy

« Reply #2 on: 21 January, 2010, 05:29:58 PM »

Hello Tim

When you say "permanently staying on", is that the real case?   I don't doubt you, BUT the Fulvia reverse lights only work when the side lights are on, ie it harks back to an era when you only needed to see to reverse when it was dark!

The most difficult part of gaining access to the switch on the gearbox remote is getting the rubber shroud out of the way (assuming it is intact?).   There is a little plate which engages with the end of the switch plunger rod, when reverse is selected.   This plate can be adjusted slightly if it is failing to strike the end of the plunger.

Regards

Roddy Young
Dunfermline, Fife

1970 Fulvia Sport S1 1.3S
lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #3 on: 21 January, 2010, 09:01:23 PM »

probably the rubber boot has "perished" and the plunger has corroded too much and on one occasion has not sprung back.

But as Roddy quite rightly said (as I found to my embarassment once forgetting the light switch spent half a day finding out why mine didnt come on!!..) it is controlled through the light switch so if on all the time I doubt it is the switch but an odd electrical fault.

Should drain the battery in that case....

Tim

Its not the winning but taking part! or is it taking apart?
Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
peterbaker
Permanent resident

www.retro-speed.co.uk

« Reply #4 on: 21 January, 2010, 09:24:04 PM »

It is not unheard of for the switch mechanism to be knocked off when the engine/gearbox is lifted forward and out of the shell.

1961 Lancia Flavia 1.5 Berlina. FIAT Abarth. 1954 Daimler Conquest. 2003 MG ZT-T 135. 1998 SAAB 9-5 3 litre turbo.
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #5 on: 22 January, 2010, 12:01:56 AM »

Hello Tim

When you say "permanently staying on", is that the real case?   I don't doubt you, BUT the Fulvia reverse lights only work when the side lights are on, ie it harks back to an era when you only needed to see to reverse when it was dark!

The most difficult part of gaining access to the switch on the gearbox remote is getting the rubber shroud out of the way (assuming it is intact?).   There is a little plate which engages with the end of the switch plunger rod, when reverse is selected.   This plate can be adjusted slightly if it is failing to strike the end of the plunger.

Regards

Roddy,
Thank you for that snippet of information that I was unaware off, even though I've owned Fulvia's for the last 15 years, it all goes back to those words of wisdom that decree "When all else fails, consult the handbook" Grin

Brian
8227 Cool

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
Tim Ray
Lapsed

« Reply #6 on: 22 January, 2010, 01:58:49 PM »

Many thanks to everybody for their advice. Great response. I'll be looking to try and solve the problem over the weekend.
Nigel - I bought my switch from Omicron ( £25 + VAT).
Regards
Tim
lanciab20
President

« Reply #7 on: 24 January, 2010, 05:20:54 PM »

I modified the reversing lights on an SII 1300 coupe to come on idependendently of the sidelights.  As I sold that car in 1987 the details are not all that fresh but it involved I think a junction box somehwere near the glove box.  I wrote it up for the then LMC magazine so anyone with a complete collection of club publicatiomns should look between say 1977 and 1984!
My current SII 1600 coupe has reversing lights which can take a while to turn themselves off when reverse has been de-selected, and I assume it is the switch getting lazy.  Thanks to this thread I now know exactly where to find it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd