Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 07:55:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mot Test Results Class 4 Vehicles 2007  (Read 5675 times)
fay66
Permanent resident

« on: 13 January, 2010, 11:57:04 PM »

Alan Cooper has sent me this very interesting link
http://www.vosa.gov.uk/vosa/repository/MOT_Make_Model_Comp_2007.pdf

It's the Mot Pass and fails for vehicles presented 2007, so adding up the passes and fails gives a good idea of what is still running around, or hoping to do so!
Starts at Page 411 for Beta & ends at 419 with Y10.
What makes interesting reading with Beta is that out of 205 submitted only 10 failed on Body & Structure, most of which had other faults, the highest fails 101, were for Lighting and signalling, I was a bit puzzled at first as how you could have 80 vehicles fail the MOT but 101 for lights and signalling, until I read the header which states it also includes advisory, which isn't a fail.

Dedra, only 206 in total presented with 48.5% fail, with nearly 75% being either a fail or an advisory issued for Brakes.

Delta, over a 1000 total, pity it doesn't break it down by model.

Gamma, 13 with more fails than passes.

monte Carlo, 78 Total.

Prisma. 16 Total with more failures than passes.

Thema, 230 Total, Brakes being the major cause of Failure and Advisory.

Trevi, 2 Total and they both failed!

Y10, 118 Total.

Pity it doesn't include Fulvia's Sad

The good News for Alfa Romeo was that there was only 1 Arna, and that failed Cheesy
Brian
8227 Cool
« Last Edit: 14 January, 2010, 12:03:42 AM by fay66 » Logged

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
sparehead3
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 14 January, 2010, 11:28:39 AM »

Fantastic link ! Do they publish that annually (hope so)?

Certainly , for the more recent cars that's the best figures I've ever seen for how many there are. Given the Delta you can work out that in 2007 there are maximum of around 300 evo ii variants on the road = passes + failures

Worth getting this into our database (at a high level against the model) and keeping track as other years come out ...

It does give you an idea of the total "market" of vehicles out there ...

Even better, the Beeb have put in in Excel Format (link on this page) : http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8456116.stm
« Last Edit: 14 January, 2010, 11:43:33 AM by sparehead3 » Logged

Regards,
Steve Pilgrim
fensaddler
Lapsed
Permanent resident

« Reply #2 on: 14 January, 2010, 12:23:37 PM »

Fascinating.  Shows how few pre-88 Deltas survive, and probably therefore flags that most which do are Integrales, rather than 2wd models.  Its sobering to think that even though I run an '88 car, which I think of as a late model vehicle, its still likely to be one of the older survivors.

Chris Owen
1987 Delta 1.3LX
2012 Skoda Yeti 112TSi 4WD
sparehead3
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #3 on: 14 January, 2010, 12:46:23 PM »

I see that in the Beeb article then 2008 and 2009 figures will come out this year and then each year thereafter. I will definitately look into putting this into the online database and keeping the history.

Regards,
Steve Pilgrim
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #4 on: 14 January, 2010, 01:56:05 PM »

Fantastic link ! Do they publish that annually (hope so)?

Certainly , for the more recent cars that's the best figures I've ever seen for how many there are. Given the Delta you can work out that in 2007 there are maximum of around 300 evo ii variants on the road = passes + failures

Worth getting this into our database (at a high level against the model) and keeping track as other years come out ...

It does give you an idea of the total "market" of vehicles out there ...

Even better, the Beeb have put in in Excel Format (link on this page) : http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8456116.stm

In the BBC report the VOSA say they will publish 2008 and 2009 later this year!
Got to be worth doing a comparison.

Brian
8227 Cool Cool

Dedra Technical Adviser
sparehead3
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #5 on: 14 January, 2010, 02:14:30 PM »

We are in the fortunate position of having something ie: an online database where this information can be captured an kept.

Worth a graph at an AGM for sure Smiley

Regards,
Steve Pilgrim
JohnMillham
Permanent resident

« Reply #6 on: 14 January, 2010, 05:17:08 PM »

We are in the fortunate position of having something ie: an online database where this information can be captured an kept.

Worth a graph at an AGM for sure Smiley
But only if it's readable, which would make a pleasant change!
 Regards, John
Angle Grinder
Megaposter

« Reply #7 on: 14 January, 2010, 06:16:20 PM »

Very interesting, but using it to gauge the numbers of cars still on the road is presumably an inflated figure due to retests?

Current Cars: 1994 2.0 VIS Thema Station Wagon, 1967 Flavia 1.8 PF Coupe.

Previous cars:
1983 Prisma 1600
1991 Thema 16v i.e. SE
1988 Thema 8v Turbo
1992 Thema 16v i.e.
1983 Gamma Coupe (manual)
1993 Thema VIS
1994 Thema VIS LE
1990 Thema 2.8
sparehead3
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #8 on: 14 January, 2010, 07:28:34 PM »

John, If I get the statistics in then I'll put them up for review here first Smiley Simple Bar Graph for the MOTs, showing each model with the years and the totals.

I'm guessing - or hoping that retests don't count twice ! I'd reckon that the Gamma owners could say whether this is a true figure as they must know all the cars out there (?)

Regards,
Steve Pilgrim
Angle Grinder
Megaposter

« Reply #9 on: 14 January, 2010, 07:47:56 PM »

Speaking for the Thema & Dedra Consortium...

The figures suggest 436 vehicles still in use, but our membership is only around the 40 mark!

Seems crazy to me that anyone would run a Thema or Dedra without being in the Consortium. We have a stock of used parts that covers just about everything you could want, and we have lots of hard to come by new parts, including wheel arch repair panels and cam belt / tensioner bearing kits.

If the figures are correct and not dsitorted by re-tests, it suggests that Themas have survived relatively well given how few were sold in the UK.

Previous cars:
1983 Prisma 1600
1991 Thema 16v i.e. SE
1988 Thema 8v Turbo
1992 Thema 16v i.e.
1993 Thema VIS
1994 Thema VIS LE
1990 Thema 2.8
m tulloch
Megaposter

« Reply #10 on: 14 January, 2010, 10:10:53 PM »

I can speak from personal experience on this. The reason I left the TDC around 13 years ago was that it was too expensive for what it offered. I have run Themas as everyday cars exclusively for over 15 years now, (over 400,000m) and can honestly say that I haven't felt the need to re-join. That's not to say that I won't re-join in the future, but not just yet.

Now, if I can own 8 of these cars in that time, who's to say that there aren't a couple of 100 other owners out there the same?

P.S. I have to say though, the water pump seal failed on my 16v this morning! Serves me right, the bearing has been noisy for over a year.

P.P.S. Still drove it home and swapped for the Vis.  Grin
sparehead3
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #11 on: 14 January, 2010, 11:12:25 PM »

Looking at the 'whole' picture, you could produce the figure the government would lose should they decide to move the 'fixed' road fund licence date forward ... now there's a thought ... I bet it wouldn't be much and given three years worth of data 2007, 2008, 2009 you could possibly predicate how it's going to decline ... pretty easy calculation : where column 'C' between 1971 and 19xx what is the total of column 'D' grouping by 'C' multiply by £185 Smiley

Regards,
Steve Pilgrim
sparehead3
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #12 on: 14 January, 2010, 11:55:27 PM »

& In case you're wondering the total Lancia vehicles MOT'd in 2007 was 1935 : 1156 passes and 779 failures

www.motdatabase.co.uk has an easy selection option that I've used to create a spreadsheet ...

Regards,
Steve Pilgrim
Angle Grinder
Megaposter

« Reply #13 on: 15 January, 2010, 05:27:48 PM »

I apologise for going off topic here, but I feel that I need to respond to the comment from M Tulloch...
The reason I left the TDC around 13 years ago was that it was too expensive for what it offered.

The membership fee is largely a consequence of running a small Consortium with high overheads for parts storage. We currently pay a yearly fee of around £800 for the use of a barn in Wales and we have additional costs for a second lock-up with more frequently required parts that we keep near a member in England.

On top of that, we have to obtain a wide range of models in order to cover all the parts needs of members. This means 4 engine variants of Dedra (i.e 1.6 / 1.8 / 2.0 / 2.0 Turbo) and 4 basic engine variants of Thema (8v  / 8v Turbo / 16v / 16v Turbo)... not to mention the 3 different series of Thema and the VIS equipped variants.

We struggle to cover storage costs with current membership fees of just £26 a year and 40 members. If more people would join we could consider dropping the price, but £26 a year is surely not too extortionate for the security of having a wealth of spare parts to keep your 15 - 25yr old car on the road.

Our situation is no doubt similar to the pains that other consortiums have gone through, but the reality of the TDC is that it might not be around in 4 or 5 years when you need it and are no longer able to find that ECU or electric motor that you need to keep your Thema on the road.
 Cry
« Last Edit: 16 January, 2010, 11:29:02 AM by Angle Grinder » Logged

Previous cars:
1983 Prisma 1600
1991 Thema 16v i.e. SE
1988 Thema 8v Turbo
1992 Thema 16v i.e.
1993 Thema VIS
1994 Thema VIS LE
1990 Thema 2.8
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #14 on: 15 January, 2010, 11:12:50 PM »

Speaking for the Thema & Dedra Consortium...

The figures suggest 436 vehicles still in use, but our membership is only around the 40 mark!

Seems crazy to me that anyone would run a Thema or Dedra without being in the Consortium. We have a stock of used parts that covers just about everything you could want, and we have lots of hard to come by new parts, including wheel arch repair panels and cam belt / tensioner bearing kits.

If the figures are correct and not dsitorted by re-tests, it suggests that Themas have survived relatively well given how few were sold in the UK.

Hi Mike,
Unfortunately the level of membership to the original Dedra Consortium that I ran for quite a few years, (although without the spares side) was never more than 40 members in it's heyday when there was lots of Dedra's about, when Phil & myself got together to combine the Dedra Consortium with the Thema Consortium, which had a stronger following and the spares availability, the situation didn't improve that much, sadly in a few years time no doubt, people will be scrapping Dedra's and Thema's for exactly the reasons you state, which is really why owners need to join now, as if TDC folds eventually for lack of support, there's no way back.

I agree that while some owners think TDC is not value for money, they are mistaken, most Committee members give of their time freely to meet up in Wales once a year to spend a weekend stripping, collating, and racking parts removed from either a Dedra or Thema, or perhaps both.
They don't receive any payment for this, even staying overnight they pay for themselves.  certain members spend many hours collecting a car or 2 on a trailer when there is room in the storage, and a scrap car is available. They supply their time, vehicles and trailer all for the cost of the fuel so that the consortium can help owner/members, and sometimes those who are not but are having problems, most who then usually see the light and join.
As for new parts, Dave Abbett is always hunting around for new spares that may be needed, while also attending to every day service items at a better price than can usually be found elsewhere.
Once again unpaid.
Model advice is also available, Technical or otherwise and there is a regular newsletter mostly by email.
So all in all £26 per annum is a very small price to pay for the services offered, and at double the price it would still be worth it.

It was pointed out to me many years ago that a Dedra Consortium wasn't needed as there were plenty of Fiat/Lancia Dealers, and there wasn't a problem getting hold of parts as many commercial operators where equipped to supply the owners needs, that may have been partly true at the time, but it certainly isn't now.

Brian
8227 Cool

Dedra Technical Adviser
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd