Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 11:49:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Where is she now?  (Read 7026 times)
davidwheeler
Permanent resident

« on: 15 November, 2009, 11:31:55 AM »

Many years ago (before 1981) I had an Astura chassis.  I rescued it from Eddie Gee who had rescued it from a scrap yard in the Southeast but had taken a chopper to the body so all that was left was the wings (handsome aluminium, sweeping and with twin spare wheel nests) and the bonnet, scuttle and boot, red with black wings.  I towed it home on a towing ambulance behind the "light radio truck" (Humber, 4WD, fully independent suspension with torsion bars, Bentley 4 1/4 litre engine, box body, about 1952, good for a camping trip in Scotland one year) (9mpg, hence twin 20 gallon tanks)  and stuck it in the shed next to the Gussie.  I think it was a third series. The instruments, those that remained, had brown faces, may not have been round?? and I think the registration was BYL...  Anyway, I sold it to the chap who was trying to set up an Astura Consortium and it vanished from view.

My Gussie, similarly rescued has turned up immaculately restored.  Anyone know what happened to the Astura?

David

David Wheeler.  Lambdas, Aprilia, Fulvia Sport.(formerly Appia and Thema as well).
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 16 November, 2009, 09:18:17 AM »

I can't be any help with the Lancia - but tell me more about the Humber as a friend is mad about them (you'd have to be...) and might be able to trace that one for you.

David

David Laver, Lewisham.
Running Board

« Reply #2 on: 16 November, 2009, 11:10:39 PM »

Unless I'm very much mistaken, this was one of four Asturas owned by Eddie Gee during the late sixties/early seventies - the others being Wim Oude Weernink's 2nd Series Pinin Farina, a 1st Series standard works saloon (fully scrapped) and my own 3rd Series John Charles. 

I believe that the car first went to David Clayton in Northants, and then somehow ended up with Ron Francis.  Ron, in turn, sold it to John Baker at Burford, who, after doing much fettling, re-sold it back to Ron having lost his garaging for it.  Ron would be the best person to shed more light on its current whereabouts, but I think that he sold it to someone in the Channel Islands.  I don't know whether or not this might be the same CI resident who owns the (ex-Nigel Trow) Otto Rasch bodied Astura, last heard of being renovated at South Cerney Engineering(?).  All of the foregoing is very much second hand information, but should provide a few leads. 

I believe that the car itself was originally a James Young saloon, built on a 3rd Series 233L chassis, similar to that illustrated in Frostick.  Eddie apparently cut the roof off and I subsequently inherited the nearside rear door, the complete lock set and the handles! 

Morris.

When it comes to Lancias, mine are State Of The Ark!
Sliding Pillar
Permanent resident

« Reply #3 on: 17 November, 2009, 07:12:31 PM »

I don't think that Ashton Keynes Vintage restoration/South Cerney Engineering have restored an Astura, but there was one being restored at TT workshops in Westbury a few years back.

1955 Aurelia
1961 Lamborghini
chugga boom
Non-LMC Seller
Permanent resident

« Reply #4 on: 17 November, 2009, 08:58:39 PM »

pretty sure your right about TT, my dad wasnt sure, unless i've got my wires crossed doug crowther went to see the car as they were having problems connecting the servo up, turns out it has a 2.6 engine fitted instead of a 3ltr, pretty sure thats the car though  Roll Eyes

1935 augusta lusso (chugga)
1935 belna saloon
1935 augusta lusso
1938 ardenne
1939 aprilia lusso
1958 appia s2
1963 appia s3 
195? appia camioncino
1972 fulvia 1600HF
1976 fulvia coupe
194? ardea SUV  "THE BEAST!!!"
Dilambdaman
Permanent resident

« Reply #5 on: 17 November, 2009, 10:51:18 PM »

Keith Bowley at Ashton Keynes Vintage Restorations/South Cerney Engineering is restoring the ex-Steady Barker John Charles bodied Dilambda which could be confused with an Astura, particularly as it has never worn the unique to Dilambda shield shaped headlights.

Robin.

Robin Lacey 3222

1932 Dilambda
1992 Y10 GTie
2012 Delta Mk3
Running Board

« Reply #6 on: 18 November, 2009, 06:10:58 PM »

Sorry but no Robin - and yes, I think that you're correct Ade - it was TT Workshops.  They had some pictures of it on their website at the time and it was the Otto Rasch bodied Astura anyway (and definitely not the subject of this thread!). 

I only mentioned it because I seem to recollect that it too was owned by someone from the Channel Isles. 

Unlike Brucie I do seem to be getting doddery Smiley, so perhaps someone would like to contact Ron/Doug/TT to get to the bottom of all this?

Morris. 

Dilambdaman
Permanent resident

« Reply #7 on: 19 November, 2009, 12:26:45 AM »

Sorry but no Robin - and yes,

Morris. 

Morris,

To what in my post are you refering?

Robin.

Robin Lacey 3222

1932 Dilambda
1992 Y10 GTie
2012 Delta Mk3
Running Board

« Reply #8 on: 19 November, 2009, 01:07:56 PM »

Sorry Robin, what I meant was that the Keith Bowley (Al Bowlly? Smiley) Dilambda was not the car to which Ade and I were referring. 

There was an Astura being restored somewhere in Wiltshire and I couldn't remember exactly where, until prompted by Ade ("I am doddery - doddery, I am" to inversely paraphrase the currently-popular line!).  However, this was not the car that David was enquiring about and I was simply suggesting that it may be from the same stable. 

I hope this clarifies things! 

Morris. 

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd