Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 09:57:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Removing Flavia Trim  (Read 2190 times)
Angle Grinder
Megaposter

« on: 15 October, 2009, 09:49:55 AM »

Its taken several weeks (albeit doing just a few jobs at a time), but I have almost got to the stage where all the trim is removed from my Flavia coupe  Grin. There are now more parts of the car stored in my attic and under the stairs than there are on the car  Undecided. Even the wood of the dashboard is out.

One item is proving stubborn and that is the stainless steel trim at the base of the windows on the doors. I followed some wise advice... took off the door cards, lowered the glass to below its normal bump stop and this gave me access to 4 screws. These screws were totally rusted in, but eventually started to turn after some hard tangential "taps / whacks" with a sharp flat edged screwdriver.

I felt a warm glow of satisfaction that I'd managed to remove all the trim screws without the need to destructively drill anything out.

Once I started to lift off the window trim I realised that a fifth screw must be lurking somewhere at the front of the door beneath the quarter light. Has anyone got any tips on how to access this screw? Can you get access from above by removing the quarter light frame, OR would I be best to just drill it out?

DIFFERENT SUBJECT...
As I have been removing the trim on this Flavia, I have been finding a "Gooey" grey paste behind the trim. It serves some sort of function as an adhesive to hold the trim in place and I suppose it also prevents water ingress. It looks like old Isopon P38, but is smoother and more like plastecine in texture. Does anyone know what it is and what to use as a substitute when re-fixing the trim?

Current Cars: 1994 2.0 VIS Thema Station Wagon, 1967 Flavia 1.8 PF Coupe.

Previous cars:
1983 Prisma 1600
1991 Thema 16v i.e. SE
1988 Thema 8v Turbo
1992 Thema 16v i.e.
1983 Gamma Coupe (manual)
1993 Thema VIS
1994 Thema VIS LE
1990 Thema 2.8
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: