Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 01:36:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Classic car driving holidays  (Read 4689 times)
libbyvic
Lapsed

« on: 26 September, 2009, 08:00:43 AM »

Thinking about a week on a classic car holiday. Anyone any good websites to check out?

Thanks

Michael

1968 Fulvia Sport S1 Zagato
Joanna
« Reply #1 on: 28 September, 2009, 03:31:28 AM »

Not sure about websites but there were loads of stands at the NEC classic car show that did driving holidays,
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #2 on: 28 September, 2009, 09:42:18 AM »

I know organised tours can be fun, and have been on a few Lancia ones, but how about planning one yourself,and go solo, great fun even if a bit hard on the nerves until you've done enough miles to gain confidence in your cars ability.

I work on the theory that if I take enough spares that I'm likely to need, then it's highly unlikely that I'll break down Grin
two trips with a total of 5500 miles resulted in one puncture per trip only, just make sure your car is well prepared before you go.

good luck whatever you choose as long as you use your Lancia Cheesy

Just realised that Lancia Club Vincenzo (Frank Dehler) has a short trip to Burgundy planned for October 9-11, see forthcoming events in Septembers Viva Lancia, which can include a visit to the Schlumpf collection at the French National Motor Museum  Mulhouse, if you've never seen it, it's something not to be missed.
Since the mid 1990's I've been on a number of trips organised by Frank, to Italy (including Fobello), France and the Route Napoleon, Germany,  Spain and Portugal, he organises great events, and at a much more realistic cost than the businesses that run classic car tours. The Club have a tie up with certain Hotels help with the costs.
We even managed to stay unbeknown to us at first, in a Bordello near Santiago de Compostela! but that's another story.

Brian
8227 Cool

« Last Edit: 28 September, 2009, 12:29:36 PM by fay66 » Logged

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
Joanna
« Reply #3 on: 29 November, 2009, 10:44:50 PM »

HI Michael,
Did you get to the classic car show ?  There were lots of places again advertising classic holidays. All a bit expensive though. I might do one one year as a one off. We just came back from Swizterland afor the 30th Delta anniversary and 2nd delta international meeting, it was a great journey. My favorite country is now Switzerland.
As Brian said, maybe just organise something yourself, all depends if you like organising stuff or not. Just pick a couple of destinations that youd like to visit and point the car in that direction. Just being in the Lancia on a road trip is more than enough for me. As Brian said make sure the car is serviced beforehand and always take out break down insurance.

Let us know what you have planned.

Carlos
libbyvic
Lapsed

« Reply #4 on: 04 December, 2009, 09:39:45 PM »

Thanks for that. I did not manage to the show. But I have investigated putting the car on a motorrail in Paris and sending it down to the south of France. Then, you follow on another train to collect. Then i think I will choose some destinations and may venture into Northern Italy. I have made this journey before last year but in a modern car (jaguar!) but think in a Zagato it will be very well received!

Best,

Michael

fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #5 on: 05 December, 2009, 01:52:20 AM »

Why not go from Calais to Nice, Motorail leaves about lunchtime and arrives in Nice in time for breakfast at the station, nice relaxed journey, you book a couchette as well so you can arrive relatively refreshed, better if you get one with fabric covered seats instead of Vinyl, as then you don't slide around.
Don't forget to arrange to take food with you as there's no restaurant car, just a bar with drinks and snacks, expensive.
A number of us went on it on our way to Turin for the 100th in 2006,  lifting the blind at 6am in the morning to sunshine and a view of the Med was just great. some of the other Club members who had been unable to book the train all the way, left at Avignon, as the train drops off some carriages there.

We drove along the coast to Monaco, Menton, and Ventimiglia, we then drove up into the mountains, staying in a hotel at Briel Sur Roya for 2 nights, followed by a lovely drive through the Gorge De Saorge to Tende, through the tunnel under the Col De Tende into Italy, and then onto Turin and the Golden Palace Hotel, don't think I'll ever be able to stay there again, but what a Hotel, I would also highly recommended our route Grin

Brian
8227 Cool

* T6 Cars on Train copy.jpg (106.83 KB, 650x410 - viewed 326 times.)

* T5 Fay &Ken's Monte Carlo copy.jpg (107.26 KB, 650x381 - viewed 346 times.)

* T16 Cars on Train 4 Avigno copy.jpg (119.48 KB, 650x443 - viewed 359 times.)

* T27 Approacing Cannes copy.jpg (98.76 KB, 500x534 - viewed 310 times.)

* T32 Hotel & Gang copy.jpg (105.22 KB, 600x425 - viewed 342 times.)

* T399 Paul & David G Palace copy.jpg (104.71 KB, 750x545 - viewed 352 times.)
« Last Edit: 05 December, 2009, 01:54:55 AM by fay66 » Logged

Dedra Technical Adviser
Peter W

« Reply #6 on: 07 December, 2009, 12:12:42 PM »

We have taken part in a number of Continental Car Tours events & thoroughly enjoyed them.  The furthest was to the Czech Repubublic in our Fulvia.  They now have their 2010 program on www.continentalcartours.co.uk/tours.html.  There is always a good range of classic cars on these events.

Peter

Kappa Coupe
Beta VX Coupe
S2 Fulvia 1600HF
libbyvic
Lapsed

« Reply #7 on: 08 December, 2009, 07:27:33 PM »

Thanks Peter and Brian. Really good information. I will formulate a route and start detailled planning.

Cheers

Michael

Martin D
Megaposter

« Reply #8 on: 11 December, 2009, 07:03:34 PM »

Michael,

I entirely agree with Brian and Peter. Libby and I were one of the cars who got off the train at Avignon and we had a great drive across the alps to Turin. In fact totally unprompted Libby declared the whole trip "one of the best holidays I've ever had!".

We'd only had the Fulvia about a year and I was very wary of taking an old potentially unreliable car such a long way but had it serviced, checked and re-checked at our local garage and Omicron in the weeks before, and took a load of spares (didn't need any).
It is a bit worrying at first waiting for something to break but the fear of the problem is always worse than the actual event and if it does it's just part of the adventure. I believe there's always somebody willing to help out if you're in an older car. As long as you've got european recovery the worst thing that can happen is that the car comes home on the back of a lorry.

Enjoy your holiday.

Martin.

Brian,

At the risk of being a bit of an anorak, did you realise that all of the photos you posted (with a car in) include one of my cars !!!  albeit the Monte was 'Kens Car' at that time, even the one of Fay outside the hotel has got my Fulvia in the background.

Hmmmm, I need to get out more.

MD

1972 Fulvia Coupe 1.6 HF
1984 Montecarlo
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #9 on: 12 December, 2009, 02:57:03 AM »

Re: Classic car driving holidays
« Reply #8 on: 11 December, 2009, 07:03:34 PM » Quote 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Michael,

I entirely agree with Brian and Peter. Libby and I were one of the cars who got off the train at Avignon and we had a great drive across the alps to Turin. In fact totally unprompted Libby declared the whole trip "one of the best holidays I've ever had!".

We'd only had the Fulvia about a year and I was very wary of taking an old potentially unreliable car such a long way but had it serviced, checked and re-checked at our local garage and Omicron in the weeks before, and took a load of spares (didn't need any).
It is a bit worrying at first waiting for something to break but the fear of the problem is always worse than the actual event and if it does it's just part of the adventure. I believe there's always somebody willing to help out if you're in an older car. As long as you've got european recovery the worst thing that can happen is that the car comes home on the back of a lorry.

Enjoy your holiday.

Martin.

Brian,

At the risk of being a bit of an anorak, did you realise that all of the photos you posted (with a car in) include one of my cars !!!  albeit the Monte was 'Kens Car' at that time, even the one of Fay outside the hotel has got my Fulvia in the background.

Hmmmm, I need to get out more.

MD

But of Course Grin Kiss

Brian
8227 Cool

Dedra Technical Adviser
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator