Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 02:41:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: B20 awoken after 46 years  (Read 56404 times)
Kevin MacBride
Lapsed
Megaposter

« Reply #60 on: 25 March, 2012, 12:48:25 AM »

Well, today was a big day. Did a few checks, filled the pot joints with oil, checked water, oil etc. Fired her up, into gear and went for a short spin (very short). About half a mile up a quiet country road, did a 2 point turn and back. All works well...
A few little issues, rad boiled a bit, but on checking after it had cooled down, what I thought was a leak turned out to be an air lock, forcing water out of the overflow. Clutch needs attention as the 'bite'point is just at the end of pedal travel. Gears select with no problems and gearbox is very slick, no noise from 1st gear. I was worried most about the gear selection as the column shift had been dismantled and I only had the worshop manual pictures as a referance.
Even the rad flap thermostat works. The oil pressure guage does not however, I know the pressure is good as I checked using a guage, so thats a job for another day.
I'd like to fit a water temp guage. My own car has one, there being a switch tapped into the top rad pipe assembly. Any ideas as to fitting one ?
Still a lot of work to do, fitting door glass, lamps, dynamo is not connected so I dunno if it works properly or not, plenty of wiring to be sorted as well.
Rear shocks are an issue. The original lever arms are gone, being replaced by shocks. The bushes are well perished, and rattle a bit.
Aiming for a finish date before June, for the annual Terenure Car show, where I've arranged for the car to be pride of place on the main sponsers stand.

B20 4th series (having a 'facelift')

2000 sedan
Fiat Multipla
Fiat Cinquecento
Parisien
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #61 on: 25 March, 2012, 08:47:43 AM »

Even more good news Kevin, great to get to that point and find out things aren't too bad, when is the Terenure show....maybe I'll google it!

P

Frank Gallagher
Parisien
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #62 on: 25 March, 2012, 08:51:30 AM »

http://bmwclassicsireland.com/events/terenure-classic-car-show-2012

8th of July on this Kevin, its correct?

P

Frank Gallagher
Kevin MacBride
Lapsed
Megaposter

« Reply #63 on: 25 March, 2012, 09:45:20 AM »

Yep, thats the one. The Club normally has its own stand, with a good turnout. I've not been to too many of them as they usually clash with racedays, but I'll make an effort for this one.

2000 sedan
Fiat Multipla
Fiat Cinquecento
Parisien
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #64 on: 25 March, 2012, 10:13:30 AM »

Many other Lancias attend Kevin, might make the 200 mile round trip to go, if weather not Malaysian like!

P

Frank Gallagher
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #65 on: 25 March, 2012, 04:14:19 PM »

So the first gears were NOT all noisy when new... 

What a treat you've had already with that car.  Keep at it !!

David

David Laver, Lewisham.
Kevin MacBride
Lapsed
Megaposter

« Reply #66 on: 25 March, 2012, 09:45:14 PM »

Not only is the gearbox nice and quiet, you'd never suspect it was 'crash' 1st. Also the propshaft doesn't vibrate and the front brakes don't judder. I'm beginning to think all these tales about Aurelia problems are old wives tales.
Later this evening I fired up my own car and went for a spin, first outing since last Oct. Now I have to say, there is a world of differance between the cars, considering mine has no sound deadening of any sort, no interior comforts, and no silencers (and a weird camshaft ala Mr Crowe RIP).

* 046.JPG (56.37 KB, 448x336 - viewed 428 times.)
« Last Edit: 25 March, 2012, 09:55:41 PM by Kevin MacBride » Logged

2000 sedan
Fiat Multipla
Fiat Cinquecento
Kevin MacBride
Lapsed
Megaposter

« Reply #67 on: 29 March, 2012, 10:11:41 PM »

Well, it was too good to be true. Doing a few checks last night when on removing the rad cap, noticed that the header tank was empty. My fears were confirmed when I checked the dipstick.....and I was far from 'amazed'
Hopefully its only a head gasket and not something more serious. I've started to remove the heads, so will know more in a few days. The r/hand head looks the more difficult to remove. The steering shaft impeding access to the manifold. I did fit head gaskets to the B20 which was in the Mondello Museum, however that engine had been modified, and had head bolts rather than studs, which made things a little easier. It also had the studs which protrude through the inlet ports removed, and replaced with flush fitting 'dowels'
I suppose its not surprising, considering how long the engine was standing. Its a job I could do without !!

2000 sedan
Fiat Multipla
Fiat Cinquecento
ColinMarr
Permanent resident

« Reply #68 on: 30 March, 2012, 07:08:34 AM »

I remember having to extract a few exhaust manifold studs to get one of the heads clear of the steering column. But this was with a standard engine and it proved to be an easier job than I thought it might be. The only worrying point was tightening down all those skinny head studs with the thought that they would snap at any time – and then doing it all again 1000 miles later!

Good luck.

Colin 
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #69 on: 30 March, 2012, 07:12:42 AM »

I can rememeber on-off-on-off-on-off before I found the crack in the inlet tract...   You'll get the hang of it soon enough, and for you that will be a "life-skill".  Alas I can't remember any details or tips other than being careful to get the inlet manifold gasgets (and in my case shims) the right way round so it sits correctly between the two heads.

David

David Laver, Lewisham.
HF_Dave
Megaposter

Rust , What Rust !! I don't See any rust !!!

« Reply #70 on: 30 March, 2012, 04:24:21 PM »

The Lancia Motor club ireland will be attending the Terenure show, probably the best quality show in Ireland. It's a nice venue and the weather is normally good. We set up a BBq and do lunch ect, we really make a nice day of it. If anyone wishes to attend we can make a weekend of it by throwing in a run through the local scenery somthing not to taxing on the saturday, and a meal, and a few pints of the black stuff the night before  Grin Could be fun !! Grin
« Last Edit: 30 March, 2012, 04:26:59 PM by HF_Dave » Logged

My Current Cars:

1991 Thema station wagon
1989 Thema 16v
2011 Lancia Delta 3

1977 Beta sedan 2000
1975 Fulvia S3 1.3
1973 Flavia HF 2000 Coupe
1972 Fulvia S2 1.3
1989 Thema 8.32
**Other Makes**
2018 Alfa Giulia
1999 Alfa 156
2009 Fiat Du
Kevin MacBride
Lapsed
Megaposter

« Reply #71 on: 30 March, 2012, 11:46:35 PM »

Took the LH head off earlier this evening. Less than an hours work. Head came off very easily. The gasket is like sponge, I'd say the asbestos has crumbled to dust in places. The pistons dont look original. They are stamped 'made in england' with +20 and what looks like RSW stamped into the crown.
Re-capping the history a little, the engine originally broke a rod. (I have the original block). It was re-built with a new block (stamped with the same engine number). They must have used new liners as well, because the original liners are in the old block. That was almost 50 years ago, and its stood, never having been started for all that time.
As you can see, the head is almost like new.
Is it possible to pull the RH head without rmoving the brake resovoir. The column gear linkage also seems to be in the way. If I have time I'll have a go at it tommorow, although the little girl sitting in my own car may have other ideas.

* 001.JPG (54.59 KB, 448x336 - viewed 410 times.)

* 006.JPG (46.41 KB, 448x336 - viewed 474 times.)

2000 sedan
Fiat Multipla
Fiat Cinquecento
ColinMarr
Permanent resident

« Reply #72 on: 31 March, 2012, 08:23:12 AM »

Kevin,

I doubt if the reservoir would get in the way - it didn't on mine. But I don't know about the gear-shift linkage - mine had a floor change. The business about having to re-torque the head nuts after a 1000 miles of use on a new gasket is serious. I think my failure to do this properly (slacken the tension before re-torquing!) was the reason why I had to do the job again.

Colin
Richard Fridd
Permanent resident

« Reply #73 on: 31 March, 2012, 09:55:08 AM »

Also on the subject  I have read the liners should be slightly proud of the block to achieve a good seal with the head/gasket.richard

Richard Nevison Fridd                                                                      Happy Lancia, Happy Life
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #74 on: 31 March, 2012, 05:10:24 PM »

I enjoy these photos as much as the exterior.

David

David Laver, Lewisham.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd