Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 02:28:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: any tips?  (Read 4022 times)
bill
« on: 22 June, 2009, 06:26:53 PM »

hi, back working on the car my daughter has been over from america. hope to bleed the brakes soon. has anyone any tips or things I should look out for when bleeding the brakes, do I start at the back? also is dot fluid ok . to use on the lancia braking system?

thank you.

bill.
chugga boom
Non-LMC Seller
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 22 June, 2009, 08:09:00 PM »

silicone fluid is the best to use , i usually disconect the load compensating valve from the back axle and wedge it fully open ( move lever up) to give maximum fluid flow to rear brakes, most brake systems you start at the furthest bleed nipple from the master cylender (nsr) then osr then ns front and finish os front always worked for me, also sometimes if the system is completely dry its is possible that if left over night the pedal can become spongy again due to the fluid becoming airated when pumped through, dont panic just bleed 1 more time, hope this works for you jp

1935 augusta lusso (chugga)
1935 belna saloon
1935 augusta lusso
1938 ardenne
1939 aprilia lusso
1958 appia s2
1963 appia s3 
195? appia camioncino
1972 fulvia 1600HF
1976 fulvia coupe
194? ardea SUV  "THE BEAST!!!"
lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #2 on: 22 June, 2009, 08:19:16 PM »

I agree with James - Silicone fluid is best but generally I only swop to it after reconditioning all the seals on calipers and master cylinder and fitting copper brake pipes.

James' sequence is good but it takes for ever for the fluid to get through to the back and not fast to the front, and if over keen on the brake pedal can get not pressure at all. I have been thinking about this so rigged up my own version of a Gunson's easi bleed with about 10psi air line connected to the master cylinder using an old plastic jerry can nozzel, and hey presto simple bleeding without need of the wife!

Tim

Its not the winning but taking part! or is it taking apart?
Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
ian
« Reply #3 on: 22 June, 2009, 09:15:52 PM »

Bled mine on my own with a gunsons, used a load of fluid, just to make sure that I cleared out all of the old. Had no problems, just be methodical. Can you mix silicone with the old stuff?  i just used the normal stuff and my brakes are great now .
Neil Lewis
« Reply #4 on: 22 June, 2009, 10:42:32 PM »

I agree, the Gunson's Easibleed is a brilliant device.  Having an assistant to pump the pedal is bot inconvenient and can actually cause problems if not done exactly right.

Neil
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #5 on: 23 June, 2009, 08:24:07 AM »

Really great piece of kit, I've had mine about 40 years! just make sure the tyre pressure isn't too high, as I remember the plastic reservoirs bulging out like balloons Shocked a bit disconcerting to say the least.

Brian
8227 Cool

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
Scott
Megaposter

« Reply #6 on: 23 June, 2009, 10:37:52 AM »

Yes, your brake fluid will be 'DOT' ... it's the number following it that's relevant.
The older DOT4 is a fluid based around glycol; the newer DOT5 around silicone. The two will not mix so don't go there.
Silicone is known to attack some older style rubber components - that is why Tim has made the valid suggestion of swapping seals.
Personally if you're just interested in bleeding rather than a complete brake system overhaul I'd say you should stick with DOT4.

I wholeheartedly endorse the Gunson's Easibleed. For little expense this saves a lot of effort if you're doing this on your own.

My only other tip is put penetrating fluid on the bleed nipples a good 24 hours before you think of doing this job. It's all too easy to round off the bleed nipples' small 'hex' profile - or worse 'sheer' off the nipple completely. You will then have to resort to drilling it out. Not wanting to scare you ... just passing on hard won experience!!!  Wink
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd