Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
29 March, 2024, 12:04:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 1993 lancia thema 16v le tips and costs  (Read 3819 times)
Joanna
« on: 22 June, 2009, 01:24:15 PM »

Hi All,
Need help with a Thema 16V LE  that may be thinking of buying.

Anyone have any advise please on what to look for and or costs like cambelt etc.

cheers
carlos
Dilambdaman
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 22 June, 2009, 02:54:17 PM »

Hi Carlos,

I bought my 1993 16vTurbo LS 8 months ago having owned a 8v Turbo some years ago. It was the very best I could find at the time and although some people though that it was a tad pricey I've not yet regretted it. They are excellent vehicles with acceleration which never fails to bring a smile to the face.

The cam belt tensioners got noisy and I had them replaced and a new cambelt at the same time. I also had a new water pump as that had developed a leak. Total bill was £430.

So, IMHO buy the very best you can find even if it is top money and above all make sure that the underneath is sound. Like any 15-20 year old car they can become a veritable money pit if you buy a dog.

Good luck.
Robin.
« Last Edit: 22 June, 2009, 09:43:50 PM by Dilambdaman » Logged

Robin Lacey 3222

1932 Dilambda
1992 Y10 GTie
2012 Delta Mk3
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #2 on: 22 June, 2009, 06:25:46 PM »

Hi All,
Need help with a Thema 16V LE  that may be thinking of buying.

Anyone have any advise please on what to look for and or costs like cambelt etc.

cheers
carlos

Hi Carlos,

Does it have the VIS engine? it  will say "16v VIS" on the cambox? is it a manual or auto? I take it it's not a turbo.

If it's a VIs  please let me know and I can let you know what to look for, I also have the series 3 workshop manual, so if you need anything anytime I can help;  I've had 2 16V LS Vis Auto's and know the weak spots.
There are a lot of differences mechanically with the series 3 Themas, could you let me have the chassis Number in a PM and I can check out exactly what model it is.
I'm 100% behind Robins comments on price to pay, it's very much a case of a good one is worth paying over the odds for as Robin did, whereas a mediocre one isn't even worth considering, unless they have been well looked after with a service history it could well cost you a small fortune to get it to a decent standard.

Brian
8227 Cool

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
Angle Grinder
Megaposter

« Reply #3 on: 30 June, 2009, 05:33:50 PM »

Hi Carlos,

If you are in the UK you should join the Lancia Thema & Dedra Consortium www.lancia-tdc.co.uk

Members of teh consortium can get a kit with Cam Belt, Balancer Belt and tensioner bearings for around £150. We also have dimantled more than a dozen Themas and still have some complete cars, so almost every part is obtainable.

The difficult parts to obtain these days are the rear cross members. Check under the car to see if this part looks excessively rusty.

As mentioned before, you need to listen for noisey tensioner bearings. If after revving the engine there is a rattle from the left of the engine bay (as you look in from the front) then that usually indicates excessive bearing wear.

The handbrake can often be a problem with these cars. Quite often the cable stretches with age and only one caliper is activated by the handbrake. If left unattended the handbrake lever on the caliper will get sticky and seize. Reconditioned calipers are still easy to get for £80-£90 from most Motor Factors. Changing the belt is a 3 hour job.

The electrics on these cars are good and only trivial stuff tends to fail. Bodywork is usually good, but cars that have lived in coastal areas or salty road environments may have some structural rust at the rear jacking points so poke and prod with a screw driver in this area. In general these cars are much less rusty than their SAAB 9000 counterparts and they handle much better too.

« Last Edit: 30 June, 2009, 05:37:11 PM by Angle Grinder » Logged

Current Cars: 1994 2.0 VIS Thema Station Wagon, 1967 Flavia 1.8 PF Coupe.

Previous cars:
1983 Prisma 1600
1991 Thema 16v i.e. SE
1988 Thema 8v Turbo
1992 Thema 16v i.e.
1983 Gamma Coupe (manual)
1993 Thema VIS
1994 Thema VIS LE
1990 Thema 2.8
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: