Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 06:22:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: a lesson learnt  (Read 3655 times)
bill
« on: 07 June, 2009, 09:29:24 AM »

hi,yesterday(sat.) rather than wait until monday I decided to make a tool to undo the sump plug. What a mistake. When cutting some metal my hand slipped ripping off my thumb nail, hospital job very very painfull. The lesson in fact, two lessons. Always wear good gloves if possible, secondly should have went to omicron for the right tool. This is going to knock me back for a while. Hope this may help someone in the future.

all the best to all.

bill.  Cry  Cry

ncundy
Lapsed
Rebel Poster

« Reply #1 on: 08 June, 2009, 08:29:15 AM »

Ouch; hope its not too bad. My hands and knuckles are covered in little scars as the result of using incorrect tools/methods over the years. Some of us never learn  Tongue

1969 Fanalone, Mazda RX-8, Fiat Multipla
Scott
Megaposter

« Reply #2 on: 08 June, 2009, 05:33:55 PM »

Ow, ow, ow! That sounds really nasty.
I had an incident a few years ago (not on the Fulvia I hasten to add) where I was undoing a bolt in the engine bay of a car. I didn't have a socket to hand that would fit ... only a spanner.
So I'm pushing with all my strength on the spanner that's trying to turn this stuck nut ... and suddenly without warning the spanner just snapped in half...
Flamin' heck that smarted! Just escaped needing stitches down most of my underarm!
I empathise!!!
ian
« Reply #3 on: 08 June, 2009, 10:54:02 PM »

I bought the sump removal key from Omicrom and i thought it was rubbish! the metal was so much softer than the brass plug its self! In the end it was brute force and pump pliers i think!....without gloves as well  Roll Eyes
Scott
Megaposter

« Reply #4 on: 09 June, 2009, 12:33:21 PM »

Re. sump plug:
Notice you guys are buying a tool for the job.
On my S2 Fulvia the wheel nut tool (that comes with a separate nifty little ratchet) has the right fitment on its opposite end.
In other words, one end does the wheel nuts, the other end does the sump plug.
I'm probably stating the obvious here but just in case ... !
ian
« Reply #5 on: 09 June, 2009, 04:52:59 PM »

Yup! I did notice after I had bought one...but I still keep forgetting!
Richard Fridd
Permanent resident

« Reply #6 on: 09 June, 2009, 05:03:51 PM »

i seem to have a couple of different versions of the tool described.one is like a box spanner the other has a plastic 'spinner'.

Richard Nevison Fridd                                                                      Happy Lancia, Happy Life
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd