Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 07:39:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FIAT on Yamaha race bikes  (Read 4002 times)
Neil Lewis
« on: 31 May, 2009, 10:43:12 PM »

While channel hopping at lunchtime today I caught a bit of the Moto GP.  I couldn't help noticing that the Yamaha bikes had FIAT in big letters above the smaller Yamaha names.  Does anyone know why FIAT are sponsoring a Japanese motorbike manufacturer?

Neil
ncundy
Lapsed
Rebel Poster

« Reply #1 on: 01 June, 2009, 08:38:23 AM »

Fiat sponsor Valantino Rossi, the fact he rides Yamaha is pretty incidental. If he moves I guess the sponsorship will move as well.

1969 Fanalone, Mazda RX-8, Fiat Multipla
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #2 on: 01 June, 2009, 09:43:18 AM »

thanks Neil.
I thought that was perhaps the reason.
Brian
8227 Cool

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
Neil Lewis
« Reply #3 on: 01 June, 2009, 09:55:14 PM »

OK that makes sense.  But I just wondered that, since Ford once had a relationship with Yamaha (1.25 Fiesta engine) whether FIAT had something similar.   Afterall it does seem odd that a car company should sponsor a motorbike.

Neil
eyore
« Reply #4 on: 03 June, 2009, 07:47:44 PM »

Fiat sponsor Yamaha not  only Valentino Rossi. The team is Fiat Yamaha. His teammate Jorge Lorenzo is also on a Fiat Yamaha. Moto GP is an awsome sport and makes F1 car racing look like childrens pedal cars Grin The sport gets huge TV coverage and circuit attendaces and I assume Fiat get a good return from the younger age profile of the fans.
Kevin MacBride
Lapsed
Megaposter

« Reply #5 on: 04 June, 2009, 12:55:53 AM »

While I agree that motor cycle racing is exciting to watch, mostly because of the amount of overtaking, plus you can see the rider 'at work'. Last years Moto GP at Laguna Seca was a classic for example. I have to disagree that F1 is easy, I was at Monaco last weekend, and walked the circuit, and to drive a car, any car, never mind one with 800 odd bhp, around those streets, takes a skill beyond most. Hats off to both forms of racing...

B20 4th series (having a 'facelift')

2000 sedan
Fiat Multipla
Fiat Cinquecento
eyore
« Reply #6 on: 04 June, 2009, 11:40:09 AM »

I wasn't really casting aspersions on the F1 drivers ability Kevin,more a comment of the racing from a spectator perspective where the bike racing is far more seat of the pants,amazingly fast with lots of overtaking and generally  mistakes end up in the rider going down and out.
Incidentally Danny Pedrosa was officially clocked in practice for last weekends Italian GP at 217mph on his 800cc Honda.Awsome or what Shocked
« Last Edit: 04 June, 2009, 11:50:45 AM by eyore » Logged
Jai Sharma
Megaposter

« Reply #7 on: 04 June, 2009, 09:56:23 PM »

...until Pedrosa fell off!

Seriously, I love to watch moto GP on telly. Laguna Seca last year was the most bare knuckle racing I have seen on screen since Villeneuve v Arnoux at Dijon (30 years before - eeek!). No doubt about the skill of F1 drivers, and the show is better this year to my eyes, but Moto GP usually has a lot of excitement, and Rossi has a superstar quality in my opinion.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd