Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 10:44:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: help required  (Read 4340 times)
bill
« on: 27 May, 2009, 04:34:29 PM »

hello once more, decided to make my own brake pipes as the nearest supplier is a long way from me.I have just bought a clarke flaring kit along with a coil of pipe and the male ends ( unions?) the problem I am having, the male ends are so tight when trying to screw them into the flexi, hose. I do not want to damage anything. the guy in the factors said they are the only ones they supply. could these be a different thread? as usual any help will be appreciated.

thank you .

bill.
Richard Fridd
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 27 May, 2009, 04:46:56 PM »

if you have the original brake pipe nuts perhaps it would be useful to compare the thread pitch.if you dont have a thread guage hold the original and replacement nuts together so the threads mesh[hold up to the light to see if they mesh properly]richard

Richard Nevison Fridd                                                                      Happy Lancia, Happy Life
Peter W

« Reply #2 on: 27 May, 2009, 08:20:18 PM »

Had the same problem myself a few years ago and discovered that the Fulvia brake pipe fittings had a courser pitch than those provided by my local factors.  I believe the sizes were 1.25mm & 1mm (can't be sure unless I go down to my garage and measure them).  Had to travel further afield to find a more comprehensive stockist.  Not to be confused with the imperial fittings on earlier British cars.

Peter

Kappa Coupe
Beta VX Coupe
S2 Fulvia 1600HF
bill
« Reply #3 on: 27 May, 2009, 09:03:18 PM »

re. the brake fittings, are they the type of thing omicron may stock? hope I do not come a dead end with this one.

bill.
Neil Lewis
« Reply #4 on: 27 May, 2009, 11:06:47 PM »

To add to what Peter W said.  The standard pipe fittings are 10 mm thread diameter by 1 mm pitch, ie, the distance between the threads.  However Fulvia (and probablt Flavia too) are 10 mm by 1.25 mm pitch.  Wahteber you do, don't try th escrew the 1 mm threads into the 1.25 mm holes because you'll damage the threads forever.  No idea where you get new ones from because I reused the ones which were on my original pipes.  They need careful removing!

Neil
Richard Fridd
Permanent resident

« Reply #5 on: 28 May, 2009, 03:43:32 PM »

last time i needed some i bought them from E.F.Breen Maidstone 01622 756576

Richard Nevison Fridd                                                                      Happy Lancia, Happy Life
Richard Fridd
Permanent resident

« Reply #6 on: 28 May, 2009, 05:30:20 PM »

forgot to mention; it will also be wise to check the length of the replacements are correct.if too short the pipe will not seat properly.richard

bill
« Reply #7 on: 28 May, 2009, 06:29:20 PM »

hi, thank you for the advise and help. I managed to find some nuts from an old motor factor, they were just a little tight on the last few turns hope they will be ok. That was a good point re. the length of the nut.

next job to overhaul the master cylinder I have it on the work bench ready, one thing I have learnt you must have patience when working on an old car like this.

once again thank you all.

regards bill.
davidwheeler
Permanent resident

« Reply #8 on: 28 May, 2009, 06:43:38 PM »

Omicron have master cylinder repair kits.  It is not a difficult job but take a digital photo or two as you dissasemble the cylinder.  I had trouble with the brakes binding on and discovered I had put one of the seals in backwards!

David Wheeler.  Lambdas, Aprilia, Fulvia Sport.(formerly Appia and Thema as well).
Richard Fridd
Permanent resident

« Reply #9 on: 28 May, 2009, 08:34:38 PM »

just a thought;please dont force anything on that mastercylinder.the first one i tried to disassemble was difficult because i almost overlooked the threaded 'stops' which are accessed in the resevoir machined areas

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd