Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 02:17:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Spax shocks info please  (Read 5174 times)
lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« on: 17 May, 2009, 04:11:33 PM »

Does anyone have any old Spax data.

I bought (admitedly off ebay) some NOS Spax shock absorbers for my Fulvia.

They were stamped (and also the box was printed with) 434 which is a Spax Fulvia part number as far as I can see.

However, the closed length (370mm) from top mounting mid point to c/l bottom trunnion is longer than the fully open length of Fulvia coupe shocks (360mm).

The Open length is c 610mm (!). I reckon they were for a lorry or something.

They have same mountings as fulvia fronts.

I just want to identify them and put them back onto Ebay.

Thanks

Tim

Its not the winning but taking part! or is it taking apart?
Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
ncundy
Lapsed
Rebel Poster

« Reply #1 on: 17 May, 2009, 05:21:40 PM »

I put this up about two years ago in my restoration thread when I was deciding on which way to go, as there were reports of a similar issue on Viva Lancia:

"A set of Spax shock absorbers finished it off. It is worth knowing that the part numbers listed by Spax would seem to be incorrect, the difference is in the open length:

G434 Front    357 (as listed)
G3312 Front    332 (as required)

G677 Rear    441 (as listed)
G3318 Rear    426 (as required)

See this thread

http://www.viva-lancia.com/lancia_fora/read.php?10,5652,5652#msg-5652  "

I called Spax and confirmed the situation at the time and found them very helpful. There are a couple of other threads on Viva Lancia  as well, just search for Spax.

Hope that helps

Neil

1969 Fanalone, Mazda RX-8, Fiat Multipla
ncundy
Lapsed
Rebel Poster

« Reply #2 on: 18 May, 2009, 07:24:29 AM »

Spax do a range of "self specify" custom dampers for classic cars. The longest stroke is 240mm as yours. Part number would start K95.......

http://www.spax.co.uk/selector_html.php

Might be difficult to find exactly what it was intended for though.

1969 Fanalone, Mazda RX-8, Fiat Multipla
ColinMarr
Permanent resident

« Reply #3 on: 19 May, 2009, 08:51:00 PM »

Here are two links to websites that are relevant:

- the first is to the Flavia / 2000 Consortium page on shock absorbers. I guess this is written by Peter Longhurst who doesn’t use this Forum, but is still out there a helping do good thing for Flavia and Fulvia:

http://www.flavia2000consortium.org.uk/Technical/Shock_absorbers.html

- the second is a link to AVO, who still offer dampers for Fulvia and Flavia. http://www.avouk.com/ Look at their Roadsport range.

Not that I need them now, but I could be tempted to use AVO in preference to other options.

Does anybody have experience of AVO?

Colin
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #4 on: 19 May, 2009, 11:36:02 PM »

I like the sound of AVO coil overs for the rear, and as suggested by Peter Longhurst to assist rear springs that may have lost a bit of the tempering, unfortunately not available for Lancia.

As for De Carbon shock absorbers, these are still available and are advertised http://www.viva-lancia.com/huib/coll/de-carbon.htm for Fulvia at E80 each plus P+P.

Brian
8227 Cool

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
Neil Lewis
« Reply #5 on: 20 May, 2009, 07:12:03 PM »

For what it's worth, the Spax factory is on the same industrial estate as my company Stack and, a couple of years ago, I was looking for a pair of rear shocks for Richard Fisher's Series 1? Fulvia Zagato (the one with the seperate spare wheel door).  I dopped off a Koni damper which had been fitted to Richard's car and this is what the Technical Director said :-

"I've had a chance to look at the  dampers

The Spax G3318 is the best match with the offset  loop.   The extended length is 422.   Your sample has an  extended length of 432.    Also the damper top sleeve is slighly  slighly longer on the spax unit (+3mm).
If you want these dampers fine the price is 57.41  each + vat
If you require a custom build it will be 65.99  each"

In a later email, Tony said he'd recorded the dimensions in his "book" so presumably they collect lots of information for later and/or custom builds.

We didn't buy the shocks because Richard had to scrap his Zagato soon after my enquiry.

There is a comprehensive parts list on Spax's web-site and the part numbers for various Lancia dampers are on there.  As I recall from a conversation with Spax, the front dampers will fit both Series 1 and 2 and both Coupe and Zagato.

Hope that helps
Neil
lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #6 on: 20 May, 2009, 09:53:03 PM »

Hi all

Having set the challenge to try to identify these mysterious Spax shocks, the only thing I can say is that they were probably custom made to the largest custom size in Spax's range as Neil thought.

It is unfortunate that cataloguing of different vehicles dampers do not give length specs.

However this thread will be useful for qualifying what is required for fulvias spax shocks.

I have posted the shocks on ebay for 99p to clear my shelves....

Tim

Its not the winning but taking part! or is it taking apart?
Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator