Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
19 March, 2024, 05:10:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Classic car road tax  (Read 9039 times)
snapper8v
« on: 16 February, 2007, 05:49:04 PM »

Not to get the 2 mixed up A previous post regarding car tax) http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/historiccartax/. this one is regarding the pre 1973 tax exemption:-

"Currently cars have to have been constructed before a set date - the 1st January 1973 to be eligible for historic car tax exemption. We the undersigned would like the date to be move as it has been fixed for a number of years. A number of cars which were built in British factories are becoming few and far between and would like the Government to help preserve these cars by offering and extension on the current exemption date." I know that it states "British" cars but if it helps.....

LAWRENCE
inthedark
« Reply #1 on: 16 February, 2007, 05:59:17 PM »

Good suggestion Lawrence I'll add me name to that one
'the colonel'
sparehead3
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #2 on: 16 February, 2007, 06:17:00 PM »

Yep, I'll add my name to that. It's always been one of the niggles (have a friend with an MG that is a few months the wrong side of the date)

Steve

PS. Lawrence - I noticed you'd signed twice - that hasn't invalidated the petition it has it ? Wink

Regards,
Steve Pilgrim
snapper8v
« Reply #3 on: 16 February, 2007, 06:45:29 PM »

My wife signed with the other e-mail address but with "auto fill", so that's the only explaination that I can come up with :?
Neil
Permanent resident

« Reply #4 on: 06 March, 2007, 09:30:39 AM »

The petition to change the tax exemption laws for historic motor cars is currently at 8,769 - I am surprised it is not considerably higher, then I am not sure how long it has been running, the deadline to sign up is 31st May 2007.  I wonder how many vehicles would qualify if the date 1/1/1982 instead of 1973?

Neil   

1973 Fulvia S2 1.3
Alwyn Price
« Reply #5 on: 14 April, 2007, 06:52:00 PM »

Only just read this one.  As I have a 1978 spider I cannot but register.  Don't expect much joy whilst Gordon Brown is still alive and I'm likely to go before him ! ! !
David Blake
« Reply #6 on: 27 April, 2007, 08:24:25 AM »

I have a car registered 29/03/73, seems likely it was manufactured before 01/01/73. Does anyone know of a source at Fiat/Lancia that will provide evidence of a cars date of manufacture? With that I could get it onto free road tax.

There does not seem to be any clue in the chassis or engine number.

As for moving the date forward, its a political thing fixed in the 1998 budget,
Brown assumes classic owners don't vote for him, make sure he's right.

David
fensaddler
Lapsed
Permanent resident

« Reply #7 on: 27 April, 2007, 12:38:56 PM »

There are considerably more important issues that determine where my vote goes.   Angry

Chris Owen
1987 Delta 1.3LX
2012 Skoda Yeti 112TSi 4WD
Scarpia
Lapsed
Rebel Poster

« Reply #8 on: 27 April, 2007, 03:00:51 PM »

At last a voice of reason;
Who frankly gives a toss about a bit of road tax.Running a classic car is a luxury choice and GB is probably one of the cheapest countries in this regard.
Any government will ignore the best interests of classic car owners because frankly its of no real importance to the greater good of society and they cannot make any money out of us..I suggest we all be happy they haven't banned the use of these cars based on some eco friendly or safety initative already.. Being realistic the car as we know and love it will probably be extinct in another 50 years and I guess and we'll have to go and see the with our granchildren in museums.. And if you doubt it; did you ever expect they would beat the cigarette lobby; it's really starting to happen despite the money at stake.
stuwilson128
Non-LMC Seller
Rebel Poster

« Reply #9 on: 27 April, 2007, 08:12:55 PM »

David,

If you contact Barbara Longlands with te details of your car, she can tell you when it was registered.  The LMC is recognised by the DVLA for the purpose of declaring the date of manufacture for tax purposes.  You will find Barbaras details in Viva Lancia!

Stu.

Stuart Wilson 11175
1973 Fulvia Coupe 1.3
2000 Lybra SW 2.4JTd
2009 Delta 1.9 Twin Turbo
David Blake
« Reply #10 on: 27 April, 2007, 09:56:47 PM »

Stu,

Many thanks for your reply

David.
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #11 on: 27 April, 2007, 10:27:26 PM »

At last a voice of reason;
Who frankly gives a toss about a bit of road tax.Running a classic car is a luxury choice and GB is probably one of the cheapest countries in this regard.
Any government will ignore the best interests of classic car owners because frankly its of no real importance to the greater good of society and they cannot make any money out of us..I suggest we all be happy they haven't banned the use of these cars based on some eco friendly or safety initative already.. Being realistic the car as we know and love it will probably be extinct in another 50 years and I guess and we'll have to go and see the with our granchildren in museums.. And if you doubt it; did you ever expect they would beat the cigarette lobby; it's really starting to happen despite the money at stake.

I give a toss Angry
Try living on a fixed retirement income where the Government are relieving you of more & more of what you have.
I suppose I could give up my only real extravagence of a hobby, but why the hell should I?
I've poured enough in this system over the past 50+ years to keep a small nation afloat.
No company cars or expense accounts, l have paid for it all myself.

No doubt ones own level of income & standard of living will colour ones own view on this subject, playing dead,  rolling over, and accepting whatever a bunch of self serving politicians decide is best for us, certainly isn't going to get us anywhere.  Sad

Brian Hilton

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
Scarpia
Lapsed
Rebel Poster

« Reply #12 on: 28 April, 2007, 07:09:58 AM »

Point taken. I was not judging the individuals ability to pay for their hobby but it is still a choice you make and I don't think people should blame the government because its not cheap enough.If on a modest fixed income one can run classic cars then great but it is a luxury rather than a necessity.I simply make the point that in relative terms classic motoring is not really hammered as a hobby and there is no point in demonising Gordon Brown about the tax system as the others parties have shown no more inclination to keep their hands out of your wallets either.
This was really my point as a previous writer was advocating which way you should vote based upon Labours 1998 tax budget as if the other parties would be more classic car friendly and let you all ride for free...
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #13 on: 28 April, 2007, 01:30:15 PM »

Wasn't taken personally, & I would agree that there are more important issues & scores to settle with this Government that need sorting, but it was this Labour Government who binned the 25 year rolling Historic tax exemption, that was previously put in place by a conservative government.

If we really want to be pedantic a lot of motoring, private & business could be classed as unnecessary, but it would spoil the quality of life for many people, particularily those who live in the countryside with poor or non existent public transport, on the other hand I think anyone who uses a car in London (purely from a traffic point of view) is raving mad.

Brian

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
eyore
« Reply #14 on: 28 April, 2007, 09:30:03 PM »

Over here in Ireland classic status is for vehicles over 30yrs, and it exempts such vehicles from MOT also road tax is  only €49.00 p/a Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd