Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 07:23:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The £2k scrapping deal ...  (Read 2643 times)
sparehead3
Administrator
Permanent resident

« on: 01 May, 2009, 05:44:00 PM »

Amazing but true, my mother has actually done this !

Also a sad day : not because she's getting rid of a classic but a very tidy , basic , 1997 Citroen Saxo with 44k on the clock which is about to go to the crusher .... (and probably the ONLY non-modified Saxo in the country - so maybe a very rare car Smiley)

Anyway, she got the 2k off a brand new Citroen C1 - the garage didn't even look at the old car - just needed the proof of ownership. Personnally I'd have all the bits of trim off the car and flog them on e-bay ....

Anyway, just though I'd throw it in - I don't know of anyone else that's actually done it. At least the 2k came off a cheap new car and not off an expensive one ... however, as it's now May I bet the RRP of new cars is going to go up !

My Mum said that the new car was actually cheaper than the 1yr old second hand cars on the forecourt ... what'll happen to them ?

Her road tax will drop to £35 and there is a 3 year warranty on the new car ...  not that the old car was much problem doing 1,000 gentle miles every year ...

Steve
« Last Edit: 01 May, 2009, 05:45:55 PM by sparehead3 » Logged

Regards,
Steve Pilgrim
peterbaker
Permanent resident

www.retro-speed.co.uk

« Reply #1 on: 02 May, 2009, 09:38:54 AM »

So, the government has arranged, possibly without intent, to make it even more difficult for young drivers to find an early rung on the motoring ladder by removing a whole range of cheap starter cars.
Car supermarkets have been offering great discount deals for years. Certainly it is possible to obtain £2,000 of most small cars.
The whole idea smacks of amaturism and last ditch desperation bought about by an unelected leader who should pack his bags and leave.

1961 Lancia Flavia 1.5 Berlina. FIAT Abarth. 1954 Daimler Conquest. 2003 MG ZT-T 135. 1998 SAAB 9-5 3 litre turbo.
fensaddler
Lapsed
Permanent resident

« Reply #2 on: 05 May, 2009, 02:00:45 PM »

For the record, I also think its a dubious policy, not least as an environmental measure, but also as a measure supporting the UK motor industry, or helping consumers.  However, my mother in law may also avail herself, trading in a perfectly serviceable 13 year old car probably worth no more than £200.  As to the politics, I seem to recall the PM and the govt being under enormous lobbying pressure from the SMMT and most of the mainstream motoring press to do this (as well as, probably, from an opportunist opposition who will scream for everything, anything, to be done, and then scream that the govt is spending the family silver).  Rather think that Gordon Brown is damned if he does, or doesn't.  But IMHO, as a supporter of the govt, this was a wrong move.  AT most, it'll give a short term boost to the motor trade, and even then, mainly the franchised dealers.

Chris Owen
1987 Delta 1.3LX
2012 Skoda Yeti 112TSi 4WD
sparehead3
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #3 on: 13 May, 2009, 11:38:37 AM »

The C1 has now been delivered ... although my Mum was pretty devastated that her old car was crushed.

Regards,
Steve Pilgrim
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd