Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 12:46:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Engine turns over but no ignition light on ?  (Read 9244 times)
zagatoboy
« on: 25 April, 2009, 05:32:17 PM »

Been using the fulvia all week as usual without a problem, went to start it this morning and wondered why it wasn't firing then realised there were no dash lights on, I've checked fuses and had a look behind dash for loose wires and so on but can't find anything disconnected, any ideas what else to check ? It has never missed a beat during driving so it's suddenly gone while parked in the garage. 
Tony.
lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 25 April, 2009, 06:18:09 PM »

Generally one fuse (cant remember which one - No 7?) but it happened to me on my 1.3 after a run out to dinner in the country. I called the AA but then started thinking. Engine died but panel lights were also off.

Found the culprit and was on our way before AA man got to his van.....

Tim

Its not the winning but taking part! or is it taking apart?
Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
Philm
« Reply #2 on: 25 April, 2009, 06:18:34 PM »

Almost unbelievably my Zagato has started doing exactly the same thing!  I think it is something to do with the wiring circuit around the starter motor as it did it twice in the last week and a quick fiddle with the connections had it sorted I just need to sort exactly what it was.
nistri
Megaposter

« Reply #3 on: 26 April, 2009, 08:53:08 AM »

The problem may well be the fuse #1 (first on the left) or its contacts. Try to replace it and carefully clean to bright metal the fuse metal housing, making sure the contacts are firm. Good luck, Andrea

Andrea Nistri

Ardea S2
Appia S2
Fulvia GTE
Fulvia Sport 1.3 S
Fulvia Montecarlo
Fulvia Coupe 1.3 S
Taggart
Lapsed

« Reply #4 on: 27 April, 2009, 09:22:11 AM »

If the No 1 fuse contacts are not the problem ( a common fault), the next thing to consider is the ignition switch. Often the little carbon contacts stick and although the starter turns there is no ignition circuit.
Give the key a good wiggle to try and free it before taking it apart.
zagatoboy
« Reply #5 on: 27 April, 2009, 11:48:08 AM »

Thanks for all the pointers, will have a go at it tonight and let you know how I get on.
Tony.
zagatoboy
« Reply #6 on: 03 June, 2009, 08:28:14 AM »

Well the saga continues, having left the car until this week when I decided to push it out of the garage to find the problem with one last try, the ignition light came on and it started, used it without fail half a dozen times got in it this morning and nothing ! checked all the fuses and connections, also given the ignition switch a good wobble and checked it's connections and still nothing, no ignition light, hanbrake light or dash instruments work yet the motor turns over ? I think it's time for the auto electrician !   
Richard Fridd
Permanent resident

« Reply #7 on: 03 June, 2009, 08:48:20 AM »

could the battery be completely dead this time by complete coincedence?went and had a new one fitted to Sachas car last week and having pulled up in halfords carpark turned the ignition back on and the old battery didnt even bring the dash warning lamps on.at least we got the last drop out of that one!

Richard Nevison Fridd                                                                      Happy Lancia, Happy Life
zagatoboy
« Reply #8 on: 03 June, 2009, 09:12:22 AM »

Just gone out again and it's all come on and started, the strange thing is the temperature has gone up and it has been hot the last couple of days, could be a contact expanding in the heat? The battery is fairly new.
stuwilson128
Non-LMC Seller
Rebel Poster

« Reply #9 on: 03 June, 2009, 11:00:52 AM »

Do you have a good connection on the battery?  I had a similar problem on the Lybra, where it would start ok for a while then nothing.  This was just after I had replaced the battery.  The AA came out and cleaned the battery terminals then put some petrolium jelly on them and tightened the connections.  I haven't had a problem since.

Stuart Wilson 11175
1973 Fulvia Coupe 1.3
2000 Lybra SW 2.4JTd
2009 Delta 1.9 Twin Turbo
Richard Fridd
Permanent resident

« Reply #10 on: 03 June, 2009, 12:53:46 PM »

long shot this one;is there any chance that somebody in the past has fitted a concealed security device/iscolator switch which is playing up?

Richard Nevison Fridd                                                                      Happy Lancia, Happy Life
lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #11 on: 03 June, 2009, 02:03:13 PM »

Look, if the engine is turning over, battery is fine.

My money is on the fuse or wiring related to it directly in the fuse box area.

Get a voltmeter to check for 12v either side of fuse 9 (left most) with ignition on. This feeds panel lights, gauges, and coil. Clean fuse contacts. do you have 12+volts - this could explain odd reading of temperature gauge.

Check all terminals on starter motor for a fracture of a thickish red feed wire.

Tim

Its not the winning but taking part! or is it taking apart?
Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
zagatoboy
« Reply #12 on: 03 June, 2009, 06:41:35 PM »

tried it all day and came on every time, definatley problem with far left fuse and or wiring to and from, will check with voltmeter in morning to get to the bottom of this. Thanks for all your ideas.
Tony.
Jai Sharma
Megaposter

« Reply #13 on: 04 June, 2009, 07:48:34 PM »

For what it is worth, I think the fuse is a common problem.

I had also experienced the problem with the ignition switch as described - intermittent and very annoying! So if not the fuse that would be my next most likely bet.
zagatoboy
« Reply #14 on: 05 June, 2009, 04:40:47 PM »

It's the ignition switch, do we send them away to get them refurbed, I dont want to put a secondhand one in and go through this again.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd