Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
29 March, 2024, 12:31:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Thema 16V Turbo ie Gearbox Oil Level  (Read 2617 times)
St Volumex
Lapsed
Rebel Poster

Owner of RetroPart

« on: 13 November, 2008, 11:26:03 AM »

Years ago Bill Cosby did a sketch called "200 M.P.H", supposedly about the fun he had with the various cars he owned (sadly no Lancias among them), and one of the gags he milks is about trying to find "the gas tank" to fill up an exotic car.

Amazingly as a newbie Thema owner, I find myself in the same predicament with checking and topping up the Thema's manual gearbox oil.  Nowhere in the Owner's Handbook is there any mention of how to do this, only the automatic models have an auto transmission fluid temperature warning light.   Huh?

Guy McDougall
www.facebook.com/RetroPart
Rare Parts for Rare Machines
Appia Coupé S3 (Rosina), Appia Berlina S3 (La Giaconda), Fulvia 1.3S 5 spd coupé (Tigger, belongs to Carol), Beta Spyder S2 (Vivaldi), Montecarlo Spyder S2, HPE VX (Pugsly) etc
St Volumex
Lapsed
Rebel Poster

Owner of RetroPart

« Reply #1 on: 05 January, 2009, 07:17:46 AM »

You silly twisted boy, Guy!  Grin

If you only looked hard enough below the mass of wiring and piping near the rear of the battery tray, you'd notice the Thema manual gearbox has a dipstick, just like the Beta's one!  Roll Eyes  Pour the oil in here!

I found that using a length of tubing attached to a squeeze bottle is ideal for getting access, although it helps if you have an assistant to invert and squeeze the oil bottle, while one inserts one's right arm through the maze of wires and pipes, and holds the other end of the oil filler pipe in the dipstick hole.

One wonders why none of those forward-thinking Lancia engineers didn't just use a longer gearbox dipstick and tube like that of the Beta Volumex?   Huh?

I'll look into this modification and let you know if it works.

Kindest regards,

Guy McDougall
www.facebook.com/RetroPart
Rare Parts for Rare Machines
Appia Coupé S3 (Rosina), Appia Berlina S3 (La Giaconda), Fulvia 1.3S 5 spd coupé (Tigger, belongs to Carol), Beta Spyder S2 (Vivaldi), Montecarlo Spyder S2, HPE VX (Pugsly) etc
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #2 on: 05 January, 2009, 09:40:56 AM »

Two series 3 Themas and I never had a problem finding the gearbox filler,oh, forgot to say they were both autos Grin

Brian
8227 Cool

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd