Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
18 April, 2024, 05:48:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Delta HPE Starting Problems  (Read 2531 times)
HPEHF
Megaposter

« on: 11 November, 2008, 02:00:59 PM »

Can anyone help with a baffling problem with a starting problem.

Whilst the car is cold the majority of the time it starts ok will run fine for first minute or two then cuts out, but re-starts okay. Some times you get a bit of hunting before it cuts out. Some times there can be a small backfire which is probably a buld up of petrol in the exhaust.

When the engine is warm indicated by the oil temperature and not by the water temp which goes up quicker the problem goes away. Oil temp sensor only connected to the guage and not the ECU. ie after 5 mins stop the car and let it sit cures the problem

The car has been on the diagnosis equipment but shows no faults. Both water temperature sensor and mainfold air pressure sensors have been replaced with non original equipment and original equipment to no avail.

As I say it does not always happen on a 2 week trip to Italy, Saturday when leaving it was fine, Sunday & Monday played up Tuesday played up. Then sat for 6 days in Turin. On the return journey it played up on the first three day and was okay on the fourth next to days played up. It then sat in the garage for 2 weeks before being move and was okay.

If the car is left for a day it can play up in the evening.

It has been to the garage several times with no luck in tracing the problem, checked for leaking head gasket, leaking injector seals etc, etc, at the present someone is looking at the ECU

Any ideas on a postcard would be gratefully recieved.

Regards

Simon Davis
Chris5090
« Reply #1 on: 12 November, 2008, 12:07:23 AM »

I could be completely wrong here but i've seen a similar problem,all be it on a Ford (EURGH)! It sounds similar to the problem we had, which turned out to be muck in the Idle Speed Control Valve, the muck makes them stick, but not always. ECU sounds fine to me, they generally work or they don't. I could be completely wrong as i've never seen a Delta HPE but it's one of the things i'd be checking...

Hope this helps - Chris
HPEHF
Megaposter

« Reply #2 on: 10 March, 2009, 01:50:52 PM »

Thank you to those who PM'ed me some ideas as to where to look.

I recieved the ECU back last night, and with a spare and another auxillary air valve on stand by started the car after being sat for approx 5 months it started with out any problems and idled until the fan cut in.

The ECU had 1 dry joint, so I am led to believe. 

Hopefully will not play up on the trip to Goodwood this weekend.

Regards

Simon
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd