Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
29 March, 2024, 02:03:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Door lock mechanism - for information  (Read 5001 times)
davidwheeler
Permanent resident

« on: 20 October, 2008, 08:32:14 PM »

I had trouble with the doors coming open despite having a welded up and rigid shell.  The pins of the door catches were worn especially the driver's door so I thought to take it all apart.  A long struggle ensued.  To remove the mechanism from the front doors, remove the window winder and window.  Remove the lock barrel from the driver's side. The undo every screw you can find on the top and bottom units (3 each) and the door mechanism (4 screws).  Undo the nut on the inside of the front inner door handle (22mm) and remove the pull rod from it.   Put a dummy cone into the lower catch to push the pull rod up, force the mechanism down and release the lower pull rod at its upper end (slot with a round hole at the lower end to enable release from the pin).  Free up the upper catch, pull up hard and unscrew the unit from the upper pull rod.  The mechanism can the be delivered with difficulty from inside the door levering it past the window channel with the aid of a bit of bf&i.
By door mechanisl I mean the bit on which the external handle works and which operates the pull rods.

My mechanism was full of mud which explained why it was reluctant.  The catch is riveted together and I drilled them out to get out the pull rod which I then built up by welding.  I put the rivets back in but welded the box shut rather than try to redo the rivets.  Very well equipped workshops will have a bx of suitable rivets no doubt.

"Assembly is the reverse of disassembly" !!  It is worth taking a lot of time to ensure that the cones on the body are properly lined up and that the catch boxes have not been screwed too far onto the pull rods so that the rods can come far enough into the aperture to lock fully into the body cones.

I took pictures of the door mechanism, appended hereunto as there are a number of springs and small parts.  The washers and small springs shown in both pictures fit over the locating pins for the rod pull levers directly "below" them in the pictures.

I've just done the driver's door so far.  I hope the rear doors will be a little easier as they do not have a remote internal handle.

* IMG_4201 (0).JPG (114.59 KB, 1000x750 - viewed 479 times.)

David Wheeler.  Lambdas, Aprilia, Fulvia Sport.(formerly Appia and Thema as well).
davidwheeler
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 20 October, 2008, 08:34:48 PM »

Since I can only seem to upload one picture per post, here is the other one, nearly assembled.   Note carefully the powerful small springs,  I retained each one with moles before forcing the ends into place so as not to have them go Ping!!! and escape.  I also put a bit of grease about the place.

* IMG_4202 (0).JPG (114.33 KB, 1000x750 - viewed 443 times.)

David Wheeler.  Lambdas, Aprilia, Fulvia Sport.(formerly Appia and Thema as well).
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #2 on: 21 October, 2008, 12:15:01 AM »

Since I can only seem to upload one picture per post, here is the other one, nearly assembled.   Note carefully the powerful small springs,  I retained each one with moles before forcing the ends into place so as not to have them go Ping!!! and escape.  I also put a bit of grease about the place.

David, why can you only upload one photo at a time? at the 114 kbs of you pictures shown, you should have no problem uploading the maximum of 8 pictures?
After you've loaded the first one, click on the "more attachments" alongside the browse button then repeat to the maximum of 8. just noticed for some reason the same problem has occurred that I reported to Harvey the other day, as it says maximum attachment size 512 KBs, when it should be something like 4092 Kbs, even so you can still upload at least 4 photos at your current size. That's assuming there isn't another reason for you being unable to upload more than 1 photo at a time.

Brian
8227 Cool

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
davidwheeler
Permanent resident

« Reply #3 on: 21 October, 2008, 08:50:02 AM »

Yes, I know that and have tried it but it doesn't seem to work for me!

davidwheeler
Permanent resident

« Reply #4 on: 21 October, 2008, 12:39:51 PM »

Yes the rear door is much easier.  It is not necessary to remove the window as there is no pull rod to a remote door handle and there is no extra strut supporting the window channel so the mechanism drops out easily.

Incidentally, it is, of course, necessary to remove the external door handle but not the two screws in the middle of the edge of the door, these retain the door handle spring and need not be disturbed.  I found that it was not necessary to lengthen the end of the rod by welding but it was necessary to unscrew a few turns to get full extension.

davidwheeler
Permanent resident

« Reply #5 on: 25 October, 2008, 09:08:50 AM »

Hey, the doors stay closed on even the roughest Cumbrian roads now.  Result!!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd