Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 11:41:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Insurance time  (Read 5929 times)
stuwilson128
Non-LMC Seller
Rebel Poster

« on: 30 September, 2008, 06:46:18 PM »

I got the renewal notice for the Lybra when I got home from work.  The quote is reasonable, but in preparation for buying a new Delta, I wanted to be sure that I can have more than one car on the policy, so that I do not have an insurance renewal notice through my door every couple of months.  A phone call to Direct Line told me that I could only have one car on the policy (but I would get a 10%) discount on a second policy.  Subsequent phone calls to other companies proved as negative.

Footman James left me with the impression that I could only add the Lybra to my Fulvia policy if I get another classic car i.e. I need two classic cars on the policy to add a modern.

Other companies would either insure multiple cars on the one policy, but would not insure the Lybra because they "can't find it on the system" (or is that computer says no!).  Those that said they will insure the Lybra won't do more than one car on the policy.  Huh?

Firstly, am I totally wrong about Footman James?  Will I be able to put the Lybra on the Fulvia policy, thereby having only one classic and one modern on the policy?

Secondly, does anybody know of any companies who insure several cars on the one policy, where one car is a non-UK import?

Stuart Wilson 11175
1973 Fulvia Coupe 1.3
2000 Lybra SW 2.4JTd
2009 Delta 1.9 Twin Turbo
sparehead3
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 01 October, 2008, 06:52:23 AM »

Hi Stuart, I think I've read something like that in FJ about 2 classics and one modern ... which has stopped me doing it till now.

Regards,
Steve Pilgrim
Jai Sharma
Megaposter

« Reply #2 on: 01 October, 2008, 09:20:07 PM »

I asked Aon about the Lancia Club policy, to get a quote for my Y a couple of years ago. they gave a competitive quote for it as a second car. Then on pointing out that I had another classic policy with them, they were able to add it on to that for a nominal sum (like £20 or so!). It has limited mileage and the usual classic policy conditions but at that price it seems fair enough especially as it is fully comp (though god knows how they would value it!)
lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #3 on: 02 October, 2008, 02:29:29 PM »

I swopped to FJ this year and have progressively added cars to it! 3 fulvias, mx5 (counted as a classic as over 10 years old), a merc and a frontera. Premium v reasonable - classics have agreed values and all have unlimited mileage and continental break down cover. Very impressed as have been looking for this arrangement for a number of years.

Oh BTW yes 2 classics to qualify - go out and buy another for £100 it could sit at the scrap yard with you holding the V5!

Tim

Its not the winning but taking part! or is it taking apart?
Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
stuwilson128
Non-LMC Seller
Rebel Poster

« Reply #4 on: 02 October, 2008, 02:50:09 PM »

Oh BTW yes 2 classics to qualify - go out and buy another for £100 it could sit at the scrap yard with you holding the V5!

I have already thought about this.  I am now looking at the possibility of buying a Y10 to enable me to put the Lybra onto my Fulvia policy.  This way, my no claims discount, currently on the Lybra, can then be transferred to the new Delta!

Stuart Wilson 11175
1973 Fulvia Coupe 1.3
2000 Lybra SW 2.4JTd
Lindsay
« Reply #5 on: 02 October, 2008, 04:27:00 PM »

Tradex in London do a multicar policy. I had the Kappa Coupe on it and they didn't bat an eyelid. Currently got, all fully comp, unlimited miles and use for work:

Grand Cherokee V8
Fiat Marea estate
Fiat Barchetta
Lancia 2000 Coupe

£559 for the lot. And I can have one more on it. Price will go up about £150 if you have a £25k car on there as well.
stuwilson128
Non-LMC Seller
Rebel Poster

« Reply #6 on: 02 October, 2008, 04:53:57 PM »

Thanks Lindsay.  I will give them a try tomorrow.

Stuart Wilson 11175
1973 Fulvia Coupe 1.3
2000 Lybra SW 2.4JTd
Lindsay
« Reply #7 on: 02 October, 2008, 05:51:04 PM »

Hi Stuart. Phone number is 020 7001 9200. Havn't had to make a claim with them but they are very good in terms of adding cars on and not caring! This time last year I had 4 different cars with them. No charge for making changes either.
Lindsay
« Reply #8 on: 02 October, 2008, 05:52:47 PM »

Other thing to add, albeit I am in the middle of nowhere, only 2 of them are garaged - and they gave up asking after the initial quote.
chriswgawne
Permanent resident

« Reply #9 on: 03 October, 2008, 06:08:05 AM »

My experience with Tradex is not good.
We had all our vehicles insured with them but when my Porsche 911 C4S was stolen in June 2007, the value they put on it despite fpsh, owned by me from 6,000 miles, no accidents etc was so low that I sent the claim to the Insurance Ombudsman in January this year. In September the Ombudsman declared that they agreed that Tradex should pay more......but they refused... so it is now being sent to a hoigher authority and already I have been told it will be at least another 6 months before any more news.
This lengthy process is apparently due to the recent high rise in the volume of 'total loss' claims being referred to the Ombudsman by unhappy people such as I!!!!.

What I have learnt from this experience is that it is vital (probably with every insured vehicle actually including daily drivers) to insist upon an 'Agreed value' policy to avoid such a situation developing in the case of a total loss.

I do not suggest that Tradex are any worse than any other insurer but my experience with them is certainly not a happy one. At renewal in April I went for a gold-plated multi vehicle policy with Agreed Value on all vehicles with Chubb. Needless to say this was more costly than the Tradex renewal premium.
'You get what you pay for'.

Chris Gawne
Mobile: 07778 216552
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #10 on: 03 October, 2008, 04:26:33 PM »

I'm currently with Footman James, as I have been for a number of years & generally very pleased with them, particularily theContinental recovery which is in with the insurance,  but they won't class my 1990 Mercedes 300se as a Classic car, previously with the Mercedes owners club insurers I had an agreed value as a Classic, but it wasn't cheap.
One thing that does worry me, what happens if you have an accident with one vehicle when they're all on the same policy, does it affect the premiums on the other insured vehicles?

Brian
8227 Cool

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
Richard Fridd
Permanent resident

« Reply #11 on: 03 October, 2008, 05:23:26 PM »

it is probably wise to have the no claims bonus insured .also the legal expenses part of my motorcycle policy has just proven worthwhile following a non fault collision well over two years ago as recovery of ncb,loss of use,damage to clothing etc could otherwise be difficult to say the least.the third party's account of the incident on her insurance form was the only amusing part of the whole episode.obviously these long cases add to the cost of all of our premiums!

Richard Nevison Fridd                                                                      Happy Lancia, Happy Life
stuwilson128
Non-LMC Seller
Rebel Poster

« Reply #12 on: 03 October, 2008, 09:47:15 PM »

I tried getting a quote from Tradex.  Yet another company who were not interested!  They told me that they would only deal with brokers and then put me through to one of their 'sister companies'.  This company was yet another company who would not quote on the Lybra.  I think I will go back to the plan of buying a Y10 so that the Lybra can go onto my FJ policy and then transfer my NCB onto the Delta when it goes on sale!

Stuart Wilson 11175
1973 Fulvia Coupe 1.3
2000 Lybra SW 2.4JTd
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd