Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 11:17:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Polishing an integrale ...  (Read 6302 times)
sparehead3
Administrator
Permanent resident

« on: 25 September, 2008, 11:50:57 AM »

Hi All,

Picked up this link from the evocorner forum. It shows an integrale being polished "or detailed" ... it's a bit of  "wow can't see myself ever doing all that" but good to see how they do it.

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=86809

Steve

Regards,
Steve Pilgrim
Scarpia
Lapsed
Rebel Poster

« Reply #1 on: 25 September, 2008, 02:26:15 PM »

very impressive; I still don't understand what you do with the clay though.  Huh?
Once a month I slow down as I drive past the car wash; does that count? Grin
« Last Edit: 25 September, 2008, 06:48:53 PM by Scarpia » Logged
lee69
« Reply #2 on: 25 September, 2008, 04:12:26 PM »

I've used clay on the Ypsilon.  If you run your hand over your paintwork, you'll feel thousands of tiny particles, made up of tar, sap and general road grime.  The clay is used to remove these, rolling the clay in your hands to 'loosen' it.  As the Integrale thread says you then need to wax and polish the paint thoroughly to make it worth it.  It's a long process, using a small piece of clay to work on the whole car, but it's worth the effort.  It will feel notably smoother. 

Lee
RhysHF
« Reply #3 on: 25 September, 2008, 05:47:22 PM »

I have also used clay, it is fantastic, the paintwork is amazingly smooth afterwards.

I was sceptical at first but after doing it if you are really going for it on "detailing" you won't look back.

Rhys
Neil Lewis
« Reply #4 on: 25 September, 2008, 08:15:29 PM »

Does the clay flatten out the paint bubbles too ?

Neil
St Volumex
Lapsed
Rebel Poster

Owner of RetroPart

« Reply #5 on: 26 September, 2008, 08:25:18 AM »

Is the clay suitable for metallic paint finishes?

Can one buy the products used online?  We're a bit starved of everything here down South.

Guy McDougall
www.facebook.com/RetroPart
Rare Parts for Rare Machines
Appia Coupé S3 (Rosina), Appia Berlina S3 (La Giaconda), Fulvia 1.3S 5 spd coupé (Tigger, belongs to Carol), Beta Spyder S2 (Vivaldi), Montecarlo Spyder S2, HPE VX (Pugsly) etc
Neil
Permanent resident

« Reply #6 on: 26 September, 2008, 11:25:06 AM »

I have 'clayed' three cars with metallic paint (silver, dark green and dark blue), it makes it very smooth and does not take any paint off, you will then need to apply a good quality polish all over where you have applied the clay as the surface of the paint will be stripped of any wax or polish and contamination, like tree sap, bird poo and general pollution, even tar. It is not a quick job, but well worth it in the long run, cleaning the car afterwards is much easier and re-polishing is quick too.

Neil   

1973 Fulvia S2 1.3
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #7 on: 27 September, 2008, 01:12:43 AM »

Hi All,

Picked up this link from the evocorner forum. It shows an integrale being polished "or detailed" ... it's a bit of  "wow can't see myself ever doing all that" but good to see how they do it.

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=86809

Steve
Great job but just how much would that little cost to have done Huh?

Is the clay ok to use on our classics Huh?
Brian
8227 Cool

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
Lindsay
« Reply #8 on: 27 September, 2008, 06:34:06 PM »

Somehow I think there is more to life than this.......
Amongst other things I have a W plate Marea estate, bought at auction earlier this year for £750. It is great pleasure not giving a hoot how dirty it gets, if it picks up any dings/scrapes/dents.

In a way I admire these detailing chaps but it sure aint for me. Can't be bothered washing the car, never mind going to this extreme......
fensaddler
Lapsed
Permanent resident

« Reply #9 on: 27 September, 2008, 07:12:33 PM »

When my car goes on the LMC stand later this year, it'll get a good wash, a thorough vacuuming, and some dusting and general titivation.  But that's it!!

Chris Owen
1987 Delta 1.3LX
2012 Skoda Yeti 112TSi 4WD
RhysHF
« Reply #10 on: 28 September, 2008, 11:58:52 AM »

To answer a couple of questions:

You can buy online I have bought from Clean and Shiny http://www.cleanandshiny.co.uk/index.php I can reccomend the Maguires kit of clay and lubricant.

I have used clay on my metallic Fulvia with no ill effects and a very smooth finish ready for wax.

On the wax side I was reccommended Auto-balm from Bilt Hamber which has been very good.
http://www.bilthamber.com/autobalm.html

Regards

Rhys
toby2449
« Reply #11 on: 29 September, 2008, 10:45:17 AM »

Embarrassed oops, have to say my white Dedra which hasn't moved in a very long time is turning green!
j886atv

« Reply #12 on: 29 September, 2008, 01:00:47 PM »

Great job but just how much would that little cost to have done Huh?

Is the clay ok to use on our classics Huh?
Brian
8227 Cool

Brian

I asked the same thing over on the Evo forum - about £250 seemed to be the number to have it done professionally.

Since it would be an occasional thing (once a year or so), I thought it sounded reasonable

Duncan
Neil
Permanent resident

« Reply #13 on: 29 September, 2008, 01:21:09 PM »

Duncan, you can get superb results by DIYing the car, professional jobs is better and they have all the gear and tools, depends how much you want to spend.   Neil  (not long to go now...  you won't need to clay for a while I am sure)

Neil   

1973 Fulvia S2 1.3
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd