Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 01:01:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help! Fulvia Water Pump / Problems  (Read 19334 times)
FulviaFiend
« on: 24 September, 2008, 08:14:41 AM »

Can anyone help or advise please?

After a perfect run for the 'Lancia Sport Club Cotswolds Rally' and next day 'Auto Italia' show I arrived home to put my Fulvia back into to its warm and cosy garage only to discover a small amount of radiator fluid dripping from its still hot engine. First thought was that it was coming from the radiator overflow because of the long motorway run… but on further inspection I have since found the leak is coming from the water pump itself. On the side of the pump nearest the radiator there appears to be a small circular hole on the pump body itself just 2 centimeters or so back from the inspection plate (very hard to see let alone photograph), this hole appears to be a manufacturing feature rather than any corrosion or damage. This is also the source of my leak!

Can anyone advise on what this holes function is and how it can be fixed, or is it a case of removing the whole pump for repair/replacement?

Any help urgently required (trip to Italy planned next week) and very much appreciated!

Many thanks,
FF

* WaterPump.jpg (188.22 KB, 1442x1132 - viewed 2117 times.)
nistri
Megaposter

« Reply #1 on: 24 September, 2008, 08:46:22 AM »

There are many different makes of water pump fitted to Fulvia engines: some have holes for greasing the bearing. My experience is that the best pumps are the oldest and some recently remanufactured ones are of poor quality.

In your case I doubt it is normal that coolant comes out from such a hole. However, it is also possible that the leak seems to come from the hole, but it actually starts nearby. Common sources of leak are incorrectly fitted (different length) water pump bolts, loose bolts, damaged water pump gaskets on the block and/or cover, hoses.

Since you plan a long trip, it is advisable to do the following:

1. inspect coolant in rad for traces of engine oil.
2. inspect hoses very carefully especially near the pump.
3. remove water pump, making sure you have spare new gaskets, otherwise don't remove it!
4. check pump internals carefully and look for excessive play, corrosion etc and, if in doubt, replace it.
5. take with you a spare (used but efficient) water pump and gasket (this is a spare I always carry with me on long Continental trips).
Good luck
Andrea 

Andrea Nistri

Ardea S2
Appia S2
Fulvia GTE
Fulvia Sport 1.3 S
Fulvia Montecarlo
Fulvia Coupe 1.3 S
rogerelias
Rebel Poster

MY 1600HF IN HEARTBEAT GARAGE

« Reply #2 on: 24 September, 2008, 10:51:18 AM »

Hi. Had this happen a long time ago, turned out it was the seal, number 10 on your diagram, you used to be able to just buy the seal on its own, but probably not now, but i would change pump and look to see if a seal can be bought when removed from the old pump, thats why I have a pump on the shelve in the garage for when seal can be bought. If you manage to get a seal on its own, let us know as it would be useful to have a make and part number. Regards Roger.

FULVIA 1600HF LUSSO
1958 VELOCETTE MAC
Triumph Bonneville t120v 1972
1968 MGC ROADSTER
1958 Series 2 Appia berlina
ncundy
Lapsed
Rebel Poster

« Reply #3 on: 24 September, 2008, 11:29:52 AM »

There is a chamber between the water side and the oil side of the pump to separate the two. The impellor shaft passes through this chamber with seal #10 on the impellor side and seal #3 on the oil side. The chamber has a drain hole in it (this is the hole you can see) to allow any fluid that bypasses the seals to get out without contaminating the other.
If you have fluid coming out of the hole then one or other of the seals is not sealing. As you describe water coming out then it will likely be one of the below:

water seal worn/torn
impellor shaft corroded where it passes through the water seal
sealing face on pump casing corroded

If it is the seal then if you can get hold of one it can be replaced. Either of the other two are more difficult to repair. The best option would be to get a new pump as Andrea says. The water is positive pressure and can get into the oil via this route if leaking badly, leading to gasket and bearing failure - not worth the risk IMO.

1969 Fanalone, Mazda RX-8, Fiat Multipla
FulviaFiend
« Reply #4 on: 24 September, 2008, 11:55:22 AM »

Many thanks to all for the prompt replies…

Brand new water pump ordered to be safe, after checking oil and water systems no contamination is apparent but I think i will flush both and replace all fluids after fitting the new pump (again just to be sure).

Also after a couple of discussions with suppliers no one is selling seals or refurb kits separately, so as with all 'modern' garage techniques if you have a problem with any part replace the whole thing, reluctantly I guess I will do the same.

Again many thanks to all…
FF
davidhowson
Lapsed

« Reply #5 on: 29 September, 2009, 03:20:41 PM »

Here's a post from the past, but I just wanted to ask:

What is the electrical sensor marked as Number 26 on the diagram, what does it control? I have this on mine and I can't remember what was connected to it Roll Eyes

1968 Fulvia S1, 1.3 Rallye S - Sold
lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #6 on: 29 September, 2009, 06:02:33 PM »

No 26 is the switch for the electric fan - sometimes fitted at the bottom of the rad and a blanking plug on the pump.

Tim

Its not the winning but taking part! or is it taking apart?
Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
davidhowson
Lapsed

« Reply #7 on: 29 September, 2009, 06:26:40 PM »

Thank you Tim, I was guessing that was the case but needed to check, so I'm now assuming that the sensor on the top of the engine goes to the water temperature gauge?
David

fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #8 on: 29 September, 2009, 07:31:51 PM »

Yes, screws into a boss on the water manifold adjacent to the thermostat and the throttle linkage.

Brian
8227 Grin

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
davidhowson
Lapsed

« Reply #9 on: 29 September, 2009, 07:35:50 PM »

Top Job, Thank-you  Grin

fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #10 on: 28 December, 2009, 01:45:48 AM »

Hi. Had this happen a long time ago, turned out it was the seal, number 10 on your diagram, you used to be able to just buy the seal on its own, but probably not now, but i would change pump and look to see if a seal can be bought when removed from the old pump, thats why I have a pump on the shelve in the garage for when seal can be bought. If you manage to get a seal on its own, let us know as it would be useful to have a make and part number. Regards Roger.

Sorry I got it wrong it was a master cylinder kit!

Brian
8227 Cool
« Last Edit: 28 December, 2009, 12:04:02 PM by fay66 » Logged

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd