Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 10:00:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: B20 GT Wheels - Any Ideas?  (Read 6209 times)
Aurelia Adam

« on: 12 August, 2008, 09:28:38 AM »

Can anyone help me source some alternative wheels for my '55 B20 GT 4th Series?

It is currently running the standard "rolled rims" with Michelin X 165/400 which are fine for normal use but I want to go racing so I need to fit 15 or 16 inch Dunlop Race Tyres.

This means either sourcing or making up a set of welded steel rims or buying a set of alloys that fit properly.  On that point, I've tried a set of Heinbrand alloys but they scrape the sliding pillar cap so would require that to be ground back or the fitment of about 12mm of spacers - neither option acceptable to my mind.

I've contacted the leading lights in the Aurelia world (UK that is) but whilst very understanding and helpful, cannot offer any immediate solution.

So if anyone can help me, please contact me on atindell@fsmail.net

Many thanks in advance

Adam Tindell

* IMG_5573[1].JPG (1547.23 KB, 3888x2592 - viewed 557 times.)
« Last Edit: 12 August, 2008, 09:30:26 AM by Aurelia Adam » Logged
Kevin MacBride
Lapsed
Megaposter

« Reply #1 on: 12 August, 2008, 12:16:24 PM »

I understand your problem, I was lucky to get 15" (modified) wheels with my car when I bought it. I had 2 more made along the way as 2 rims were slightly warped.
I thought once about simply going to a wheel manufacturer and asking them to make new wheels. How hard can it be ?
Would Minilite wheels fit ? after all they simply work out the correct offset, drill the correct PCD and away you go.
I imagine the main problem would be the brake drum, and the bottom of the suspension.
If enough Aurelia owners were interested it might lower the cost..

B20 4th series (having a 'facelift')

2000 sedan
Fiat Multipla
Fiat Cinquecento
Aurelia Adam

« Reply #2 on: 12 August, 2008, 04:00:29 PM »

Kevin

Thanks for the reply and enjoyed your video on YouTube!

Concerning your idea of commissioning a manufacturer, I did have an interesting conversation with Compomotive who said that they are the original manufacturers of an alloy that is supposed to fit the B20 GT and that they supplied 60 wheels to Heinbrand.

That set me thinking about actually talking to other owners in the same boat and seeing what demand there is.  I'd probably take 10 wheels so I can have a set each for road and race use and put the rolled rims on the shelf for show use only.

In addition, Longstone Tyres are the UK representatives for Borrani who still supply the wire wheel at over £1,000 a rim but that's not for me as I'm not keen on the look (or the price!).

So, if any other owners are interested let me know at atindell@fsmail.net and who knows maybe we can commission a perfect wheel.

Adam

* Aurelia Accident.jpg (32.5 KB, 400x300 - viewed 550 times.)
Kevin MacBride
Lapsed
Megaposter

« Reply #3 on: 12 August, 2008, 04:20:24 PM »

A few years ago I contacted an American company who 'cut' alloy wheels with a CNC machine. They make a centre then weld a rim to suit. I gave up after a few attempts as  'the guy who makes the wheels in on vacation'. He seemed to be on vacation for months.
By the way Adam, are you mad posting a photo of a crashed Aurelia, perish the thought !!!

B20 4th series (having a 'facelift')

2000 sedan
Fiat Multipla
Fiat Cinquecento
Aurelia Adam

« Reply #4 on: 12 August, 2008, 04:37:21 PM »

Sorry Kevin, didn't mean to spook you with the old picture!

Hope you like this one better.

* 5e01_1.jpg (25.63 KB, 292x400 - viewed 544 times.)
Sliding Pillar
Permanent resident

« Reply #5 on: 08 December, 2008, 08:31:26 PM »

Good News!  Borrani are re-making the Bi-metal wheels for the Aurelia, see Longstone Tyres for more details.
Bad News! The are £800 each!!!!

1955 Aurelia
1961 Lamborghini
Aurelia Adam

« Reply #6 on: 10 December, 2008, 04:08:47 PM »

Good news indeed (other than the cost of course!).

Here's the link with the info

http://www.borrani.co.uk/Lancia-Bimetal-Borrani-Wheels.php

Never satisfied, I've just spoken with Simon at Longstone and asked him if it's feasible to have a set made with either 15 or 16 inch rims so I could fit Dunlop Racing Tyres.  He is checking back with Italy.

Meanwhile, I'm certainly interested in a set of 400's and if anyone else is, give me a shout as we may be able to get a bit of a bulk discount - always worth asking, there's a crunch on you know!

Adam
0776 179 1449
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd