Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
15 June, 2024, 11:40:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dry ice blasting  (Read 335 times)
RRomanis

« on: 21 May, 2024, 07:52:20 PM »

Hi
Does anyone have experience of dry ice blasting to clean the underside of their car prior to undersealing/protecting.
Any good or bad points. Things to look out for/dos and don’ts.
Specifically does any have any recommendations for people who do this in Kent or the south east.
Finally, what thoughts can people share on the best treatments to apply to ward off rust. And best methods for application - brush or spray etc.
Many thanks
Simon B

« Reply #1 on: 22 May, 2024, 09:19:02 AM »

See attached business card, I spoke this guy at the Classic Car Restoration show at the NEC earlier in the year. They come to you, so you either need your own facilities for accessing the underside of the car or somewhere locally you can hire a workshop with a lift for the day. They had a Morris Minor shell at the exhibition which had been half stripped of underseal, it didn’t seem to have damaged the paint underneath, loose rust had been removed but would still need to be treated. If you send them some pictures of the underside of your car they will give you an estimate. It’s an interesting process but having removed all the underseal I would want to epoxy and Raptor coat the underside, major rebuild territory, so it’s not for me at the moment.
I’m using a variety of Bilthamber products to treat rust, on the underside, Hydrate 80, followed by brush painting there two part epoxy, didn’t brush on well but that could be me so still experimenting! Also used Hamerite, again brushed on over Hydrate 80, much easier to apply but have yet to see how well that holds up. I would be interested to know what the costs are for Ice Blasting if you decide to make enquiries.
Regards Simon

* IMG_5140.jpeg (31.1 KB, 480x281 - viewed 114 times.)
lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #2 on: 22 May, 2024, 01:19:32 PM »

On another forum a guy stripped his (original) Fanalone with a combination of hot air gun and bamboo spatula  and also solvent. Very messy and time consuming but he go got to see everything on the underside of his car. By the way he stripped of  the rear axle and suspension and silencer  to get access...

Its not the winning but taking part! or is it taking apart?
Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
Simon B

« Reply #3 on: 22 May, 2024, 04:59:06 PM »

I read the same article Tim and have used that method for a few small repairs, it certainly works. As you say it’s also very messy but a good way not to disturb sound material. The prospect of doing a whole car though, perhaps rear axle out one year and front subframe the next, assuming you’ve recovered sufficiently!
RRomanis

« Reply #4 on: 23 May, 2024, 08:33:56 AM »

Many thanks all for your guidance
I’ll get in touch with Ice Blasters. Though the need get the car on your own ramp might be problematic.
Thoughts on protective treatments also appreciated.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd