Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
19 March, 2024, 11:20:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Poor Massa  (Read 27456 times)
peterbaker
Permanent resident

www.retro-speed.co.uk

« on: 03 August, 2008, 05:46:12 PM »

I cant believe it, Ferrari should have won. Poor Massa, he did everything any one person could do, real bravery from the start only to end in nothing. Bugger.
By the way what a rubbish commentary without Martin. I need a drink.

1961 Lancia Flavia 1.5 Berlina. FIAT Abarth. 1954 Daimler Conquest. 2003 MG ZT-T 135. 1998 SAAB 9-5 3 litre turbo.
stuwilson128
Non-LMC Seller
Rebel Poster

« Reply #1 on: 03 August, 2008, 11:50:11 PM »

I have just watched the race and feel rather deflated.  Being a Ferrari fan I was almost crying when Massa's engine blew.  It was something of an anti-climax for Kovaleinen to inherit the win.  As somebody who dislikes McLaren with a passion, I am pleased that Hamilton also had a problem, so did not take too many points  Grin

Stuart Wilson 11175
1973 Fulvia Coupe 1.3
2000 Lybra SW 2.4JTd
2009 Delta 1.9 Twin Turbo
fensaddler
Lapsed
Permanent resident

« Reply #2 on: 04 August, 2008, 08:10:58 AM »

Inasmuch as I take any interest in rather a dull form of motorsport  Tongue, I've little passion for Ferrari, though clearly Massa deserved the win and had rotten luck.  However, I'm British, and I am pleased that the best driver of the current crop is British and leading the Championship.  He's also had some foul luck this season, and things tend to even themselves out on that score.

Chris Owen
1987 Delta 1.3LX
2012 Skoda Yeti 112TSi 4WD
peterbaker
Permanent resident

www.retro-speed.co.uk

« Reply #3 on: 04 August, 2008, 08:45:00 AM »

If the best all round result is a British champion and an Italian winning constructor then maybe things are not so bad. It still surprised me how committed Massa was, he deserved better.

1961 Lancia Flavia 1.5 Berlina. FIAT Abarth. 1954 Daimler Conquest. 2003 MG ZT-T 135. 1998 SAAB 9-5 3 litre turbo.
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #4 on: 04 August, 2008, 09:20:39 AM »

Only a few weeks ago everyone was panning Massa & now he's the best thing since sliced bread, although I like Massa & Hamilton, after years of arrogant domination by Ferrari with you know who, as much as I love Italian cars I'm pleased to see Ferrari having to work for their wins instead of just cruising away.
It was bad luck for Massa & Hamilton, but that's competitive racing for you.
If there's anyone in F1 who deserves sympathy lets give it to Button, great potential, crap car.

Brian
8227 Cool
Think Ferrari need to have a rethink about kimmy though, Massa & Alonso?

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
stuwilson128
Non-LMC Seller
Rebel Poster

« Reply #5 on: 04 August, 2008, 02:45:16 PM »

Think Ferrari need to have a rethink about kimmy though, Massa & Alonso?

The drivers I would love to see in the Ferrari are Kubica and Vettel.  To me, they are the two best drivers in F1!

Stuart Wilson 11175
1973 Fulvia Coupe 1.3
2000 Lybra SW 2.4JTd
2009 Delta 1.9 Twin Turbo
peterbaker
Permanent resident

www.retro-speed.co.uk

« Reply #6 on: 04 August, 2008, 07:14:45 PM »

It sure is a tough game, cant help thinking that now the dust has settled re-last years scandel maybe McLaren are using the information to their advantage. Cute little winglets etc.

Jai Sharma
Megaposter

« Reply #7 on: 04 August, 2008, 08:19:37 PM »

Running a serious risk of re-hashing an old debate, but "scandal" to my mind is open to interpretation....for example i heard or read that Renault got information from an employee hired from McLaren about the "J-Damper" and then made their own. If that is not a scandal, why was the Ferrari/McLaren one?
I am not a McLaren fan by the way (in fact ardent Ferrari fan apart from the M Schumacher era)

peterbaker
Permanent resident

www.retro-speed.co.uk

« Reply #8 on: 04 August, 2008, 08:51:31 PM »

I agree, its Max'imas at its most incomprehensible.

toby2449
« Reply #9 on: 05 August, 2008, 04:00:41 PM »

have to say i was heartbroken for the little fella, couldn't believe after such a fantastic race, with 3 laps to go his engine let him down. I sincerely hope Ferrari pull their finger out & give him a car to take the championship
RhysHF
« Reply #10 on: 05 August, 2008, 08:39:04 PM »

Whilst I think Massa drove a fantastic race and did deserve the win I am still a in doubt about his talent if you look at the first race of the season with NO driver aids he wasn't too hot, he is now awesome in the dry but if it gets a little tricky he doesn't deal with it too well - check out Silverstone.

Saying that I think Hamilton has been less than consistent when under pressure.

I am with Stu I think Kubica and Vettel are very good drivers who have performed well with the machinery they have. It would be interesting to see them in Ferraris

Also interesting to see Toyota start to deliver on the fact their budget is similar in magnitude to Ferrari's - amongst the largest on the grid.

As for the scandal I'd love to hear about the things that never make the press!  Wink

Having said all that I too consider it a fairly dull form of motor sport, give me a car thrashing through the forests any day.

Rhys 
peterbaker
Permanent resident

www.retro-speed.co.uk

« Reply #11 on: 08 September, 2008, 09:40:33 PM »

I watched the Belgium race in a poky hotel room in Copenhagen and thought the result a fair outcome considering, ie Hamilton deserved the win. Imagine my surprise this morning to learn of the 25 second penalty and his relegation to third. I make no bones about it, I want Massa to be Champion but this is so unfair. Its beyond me. As Lauda says,"The worst decision ever made". Racing drivers should be allowed to race. LEAVE THEM ALONE.   

fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #12 on: 08 September, 2008, 11:33:07 PM »

What a way to lose a race you won fairly & with such skill and bravery, seems the Stewards won't explain the reasons for their decision, nothing I've read in the papers today supports the stewards decision.  It certainly hasn't done anything to redeem the FIA's lousy reputation.

The only reason Hamilton had to cut the corner was that Kimi shut the door and there was nowhere else to go, it was the only option other than taking both cars out, even then Hamilton let the Ferrari back in front.

Certainly seems that the FIA have got it in for McLaren or Hamilton, or both, a biased decision, particularily after Valencia where Ferrari got a piffling fine after releasing Massa when they shouldn't have done so, when it really justified an on track penalty.

Brian
8227 Cool

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
toby2449
« Reply #13 on: 09 September, 2008, 10:39:15 AM »

and why should Massa have been hit with a track penalty after Valencia?? Massa was released too soon by his put crew, & Ferrari got fined because of that, imposing a penalty on Massa would have been quite unfair. Its not Massa's job to second guess his crew, as soon as they release him (& every other driver) then he puts his foot down.

What happened to Hamilton is a result of the ruling that he should not have gained an advantage after cutting the corner (how ever it happened), he clearly did, although he gave back the place promptly, the advantage gained was a superior straight line speed out of the corner because he didn't take the corner correctly & with less than five laps to go the stewards had no choice but to impose a time penalty
Chris Hopkins
Librarian
Megaposter

« Reply #14 on: 09 September, 2008, 11:47:19 AM »

Currently I am a McLaren supporter (I work for the major sponsor) that aside I really think this year is turning into a true battle between 2 great future champion drivers, Massa and Hamilton and I will be pleased if either win the championship fairly - but if the FIA keep on with their anti McLaren bent, it will really spoil a great year.
Yes Lewis did have an advantage from straight lining the corner but he corrected it by backing off and letting the Ferrari past - job done! Anything after that, he should not have been penalised for because he just out drove the Fin, very unfair.
Hopefully Lewis will rise above this and prove to the FIA that he is the best man in the best car this year.
Happy day,
Chris

Chris Hopkins
1971 Fulvia Berlina S2
1973 Fulvia Sport 1600
2011 Delta 3 Limited
2012 Ypsilon 1.2 Limited Edition
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd