Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
27 April, 2024, 04:09:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Car Tax Petition  (Read 486 times)
neil-yaj396
Committee
Permanent resident

« on: 29 January, 2024, 10:24:55 AM »

Worth signing surely. We have a lot of highly taxed sub 40 year old cars in the club....

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/654884

1979 1300 Beta Coupe, 2014 Ypsilon 1.2 S Series Momo
Tony Stephens

« Reply #1 on: 30 January, 2024, 01:11:08 PM »

I really think you have to be cautious about segregating cars from the main stream. The financial saving will be seen as a mistake if mileage restrictions and other use limitations are applied in future
frankxhv773t
Permanent resident

« Reply #2 on: 31 January, 2024, 12:41:13 PM »

The accompanying text talks about the owner of a 20 year old "modern classic". My wife's car is over 20 years old, as have been any number of cars that I have owned. They and my wife's car are/were just old bangers which in no way warrant a road tax exemption. Although I eagerly await the day that my 1986 Lancia becomes tax and MOT free I definitely do not agree with the sentiment of this petition. To me a 40 year rolling exemption is sufficient.
Richard Fridd
Permanent resident

« Reply #3 on: 31 January, 2024, 03:43:13 PM »

Some vehicles in my area are approaching 20 years old including my van. Is there anyone here who would like to shift the tax burden elsewhere? On to our younger vehicles  perhaps, or will the road charging idea develop?

Richard

Richard Nevison Fridd                                                                      Happy Lancia, Happy Life
CesareFerrari

« Reply #4 on: 01 February, 2024, 12:33:06 AM »

I also think that this proposal is ill-conceived. My everyday car nowadays is an Audi A2 that is 20 years old, and has a lot of life left in it. The longevity of ordinary cars has improved tremendously, it seems to me. My Audi cost me just under £3500 three years ago, once I had paid for a new alternator and some new tyres. I have it maintained by an excellent local garage. It has needed one or two mechanical things done, but nothing drastic, and new brake discs. The running costs have still been very modest. It is much cheaper to own and run than a newer car, and that is ample incentive to keep it on the road.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd