Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 April, 2024, 10:37:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Aprilia float level missfire  (Read 1112 times)
Augustacab

« on: 13 December, 2023, 05:00:52 PM »

I am nearing the end of my recommissioning of a 1939 Aprilia Bilux, with a series 1 engine.  She drives nicely but when I put the power on for a hill she just misses a few beats, also she doesn't tick over quite as smoothly as I would expect.   I have had a spark indicator on and they seems okay, so is she short of fuel, or is she flooding?  She has a Zenith 30 VIM carburettor, unfortunately the float had a hole in the top, which I have soldered but I had to fill the dimple in the top, to compensate I flattened the matching dimple on the shut off arm.  I am struggling to get the petrol level correct, can anybody tell me what the level in the float chamber should be, at least then I would have a good starting point.
Thanks in advance
Kari

« Reply #1 on: 14 December, 2023, 09:15:09 AM »

I wonder if you have the right carburettor. In the "Aprilia Instruzione" of December 1952, for the 1350 cc engine, a Zenith 32 VIM is mentioned.

Karl
chriswgawne
Permanent resident

« Reply #2 on: 14 December, 2023, 10:19:47 AM »

From your description it sounds a little like lack of fuel when opening the throttle. The sort of thing which was dealt in later years using carburettors with accelerator pumps & jets Have you a manual choke you can apply on acceleration? Or maybe larger jets?
Chris

Chris Gawne
Mobile: 07778 216552
davidwheeler
Permanent resident

« Reply #3 on: 16 December, 2023, 09:56:19 PM »

Fulvias have had to fit larger jets to cope with modern petrol's different viscosity...

David Wheeler.  Lambdas, Aprilia, Fulvia Sport.(formerly Appia and Thema as well).
Augustacab

« Reply #4 on: 02 January, 2024, 04:50:53 PM »

Problem solved, the petrol level should be approximately 3mm below the bottom of the venturi hole where the petrol enters the choke tube.  This equates to 16/17mm down from the top of the float bowl.
She runs well now, yesterday we did 75 miles, her first decent run in 45 years!!!
Kari

« Reply #5 on: 05 January, 2024, 09:48:01 AM »

Very good to hear that the Bilux is up and running. I recently have found an information sheet which is describing how to check the float level with the aid of a special tool. Listed on this sheet are various carburetors.
Yours would be 18 mm. You seem to be close enough with your setting.

regards

Karl

* Lancia-Aprilia-misurazione-livello-carburante-768x1086.jpg (171.32 KB, 768x1086 - viewed 35 times.)
Augustacab

« Reply #6 on: 24 January, 2024, 04:22:53 PM »

Thank you Kari nice to have it confirmed. Running nicely now.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd