Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
27 April, 2024, 10:33:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Brief trip to the continent  (Read 2003 times)
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #15 on: 20 December, 2023, 10:26:45 AM »

Bit late reading this one.
For me, number 1 is a Smartphone followed by breakdown cover and then in the boot fan belt(s) , points, fuel filter (only if there is any doubt about the condition of the tank) , fuel pipe, fuses, bulbs, water, oil, brake fluid and windscreen washer fluid with possibly a spare wiper blade in winter. Assuming you have a 'travelling' tool kit ensure you have some wire ( strong enough to replace an exhaust bracket say. . Beyond that there is a rule that says that if for example you carry a spare dynamo, your dynamo will NEVER play up when you are away.
Bon voyage.
Chris
As Chris says be prepared, and have a good checkover before you go, and chances are  if youve got it, your unlikey to need it!.
No doubt as many others have, I've been prepared/lucky, or whatever you like to call it, over the last 20 years I've  driven many miles on the Continent, and the worst that has happened was a puncture in Portugal when I hit a pot hole, 5 up on the way to a dinner.
A few more problems  at home, but I've only come home once on the back of an AA wagon, after blowing a recently replaced head gasket .
Brian
8227 Cool

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
frankxhv773t
Permanent resident

« Reply #16 on: 20 December, 2023, 12:58:35 PM »

I tend to carry some long cable ties. They take up virtually no space and the heavier duty ones have saved me from split exhaust rubbers and dropped exhaust pipe on a number of occasions.
Scott
Megaposter

« Reply #17 on: 21 December, 2023, 11:48:20 AM »

Just got back from a quick jaunt to Bruges myself (although not in my Fulvia).

It's only about a 90 minute drive from Calais to Bruges along the A16 and E40; sparse traffic and good lane discipline make this an easy drive. Just ensure you know you kph to mph conversion as there are a couple of speed cameras nearer the Calais end although they are well advertised (they reduce speed at busier junctions to 90 ... which is about 56).

I'm a big fan of Le Shuttle although haven't used it for a few years what with lockdown etc.
The main change I noticed caused by Brexit is the extra queueing as there are now two passport checks at each end by the English and French authorities. This means sitting around with your engine idling / stop-start traffic as there are only a few booths to accommodate all the travellers. So the main thing I'd check is you're happy with your cooling system; fan operates okay (although chilly winter weather should ease issues).
And leave plenty of time because it must have taken about four times longer to get through than I've been used to.

Also new for me was the advisement by my hotel to complete the following:
https://www.brugge.be/doorendoor/autoluw-gebied/hotels-parking
This is effectively a permit to drive a car in the historic areas ... because you need to to get to your hotel. Presumably you're staying in Bruges you'd also be obliged to do this so if you haven't been notified by your accommodation then best check as would be a shame to get a fine.

Have a lovely time. It is a truly magic place to be around Christmas as they really go to town on the twinkly lights and festive cheer.  Smiley
Spider2

« Reply #18 on: 21 December, 2023, 12:00:20 PM »

No. I for me is a spare set of keys, the ignition key in the glove box and the door key taped inside a light lens.
No. 2 is duct tape/metalic speed tape
lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #19 on: 21 December, 2023, 04:38:58 PM »

Just got back from a quick jaunt to Bruges myself (although not in my Fulvia).

It's only about a 90 minute drive from Calais to Bruges along the A16 and E40; sparse traffic and good lane discipline make this an easy drive. Just ensure you know you kph to mph conversion as there are a couple of speed cameras nearer the Calais end although they are well advertised (they reduce speed at busier junctions to 90 ... which is about 56).

I'm a big fan of Le Shuttle although haven't used it for a few years what with lockdown etc.
The main change I noticed caused by Brexit is the extra queueing as there are now two passport checks at each end by the English and French authorities. This means sitting around with your engine idling / stop-start traffic as there are only a few booths to accommodate all the travellers. So the main thing I'd check is you're happy with your cooling system; fan operates okay (although chilly winter weather should ease issues).
And leave plenty of time because it must have taken about four times longer to get through than I've been used to.

Also new for me was the advisement by my hotel to complete the following:
https://www.brugge.be/doorendoor/autoluw-gebied/hotels-parking
This is effectively a permit to drive a car in the historic areas ... because you need to to get to your hotel. Presumably you're staying in Bruges you'd also be obliged to do this so if you haven't been notified by your accommodation then best check as would be a shame to get a fine.

Have a lovely time. It is a truly magic place to be around Christmas as they really go to town on the twinkly lights and festive cheer.  Smiley
Looks like you got back in time as the French have just gone on strike and no trains running....

Its not the winning but taking part! or is it taking apart?
Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
HBG
Megaposter

« Reply #20 on: 21 December, 2023, 05:46:28 PM »

Mot - check
Log book/ insurance/ other docs - check
Hi viz - check
Spare keys - check
Breakdown and relay cover - check
Spare engine and gearbox assembly - check
Spare lamps - check
A few tools/zip ties/ tape - check
Mobile phone - check
70's playlist on Spotify - check

Just need to follow the link for access to the old town.

Thanks all.

Just need Le Shuttle to not be on strike!
Scott
Megaposter

« Reply #21 on: 21 December, 2023, 09:27:40 PM »

Looks like you got back in time as the French have just gone on strike and no trains running....

Oh my gosh that was a close shave.  Shocked Got back yesterday afternoon.
These random strikes are miserable. Sad

Hope the trip goes well Howard. The Wintergloed will still be going. Follow the blue lights round the city. And watch out for those lethal strength beers.  Wink Grin

A spare engine and gearbox? I think you are pulling our legs!  Cool
« Last Edit: 21 December, 2023, 09:33:44 PM by Scott » Logged
chriswgawne
Permanent resident

« Reply #22 on: 22 December, 2023, 08:31:06 AM »

I forgot the spare keys on my list.
We are off to Le Shuttle this morning on our way to Italy for Xmas & New Year and I have put a small twin cylinder 12v compressor in the car as well. We are in Jacky's hot Golf R which does have a spare tyre but one never knows....
I have a small leather 'travelling toolkit' which  I made up 15 or 20 years ago ( actually a DeWalt leather toolbag which looks a little like a motorcycle toolbag ) which has all the items for an Aurelia in it as listed earlier. There is a Black & Decker toolroll with metric sckets & spanners in it as well with a torch and 12v tester and is easily transferred from car to car. The only other item which occurred to me in the light of our big drive which is tomorrow from Reims to the Veneto on a day with few hours of daylight is a lithium battery power pack. I have a big one and a smaller one - I will put the smaller one in the boot.
Chris

Chris Gawne
Mobile: 07778 216552
Spider2

« Reply #23 on: 22 December, 2023, 05:52:55 PM »

Question.
Do we enjoying driving our Lancias for the adventure of the journey, or purely as a means of getting to our destination? I know my answer.
15 years ago one of our sons got a 1967 VW splitscreen camper for his 21st. He set off with 3 mates before the bus could be given a good check over. He broke down at least once in 7 different European countries. Instead of ruining the trip it did completely the reverse. He said within 10 minutes help would appear from nowhere and either fisxit or say where it could be fixed. He made a lot of friends on that trip. The bus is still in the my garage and now is 99.99% reliable. Not so much fun to drive now!

Wangler
Megaposter

« Reply #24 on: 22 December, 2023, 06:27:30 PM »

A really good head torch, such as one of the offerings from Olight, is essential. After all, if you can't see something properly you are unlikely to be able to fix it.

Fulvia Coupe 1976
Fulvia Coupe 3 1975
HBG
Megaposter

« Reply #25 on: 22 December, 2023, 09:59:07 PM »

Bon voyage Chris!

Taking an old car on a trip is definitely for the adventure. Just as travelling on my motorbike is for the adventure. We could take the Hyundai or my Transit....but what would be the fun in that?

HBG
Megaposter

« Reply #26 on: 28 December, 2023, 02:48:12 PM »

Super trip so far. On our way home now. Dunkerque, Verney, Bruges, Tyne Cot, Ypres and St. Georges Church.

And a whacking great chip in the screen from a stone thrown up.

Not easy to share pics here so I'll just share a couple.

* 20231226_170130.jpg (2449.63 KB, 3744x3016 - viewed 41 times.)
JollyClubUK
Megaposter

1971 Fulvia S2 1.3s fast road spec

« Reply #27 on: 28 December, 2023, 07:03:47 PM »

Great pic safe trip home.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd