Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
27 April, 2024, 01:14:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Brief trip to the continent  (Read 2005 times)
HBG
Megaposter

« on: 09 December, 2023, 01:46:28 PM »

Hi folks.

Have booked le Shuttle for a two night trip to Bruges between Xmas and New Yr.

I'm no stranger to motoring abroad but wonder what old car specific items I need to consider? I've a '76 1.3 Fulvia in what appears to be good condition. I've probably driven a couple of thousand miles since I've had it.

Insurance, breakdown cover (might be included in Hagerty insurance), log book, haven't got an MOT.....

What else?
lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 09 December, 2023, 03:51:06 PM »

I would advise an MOT….. Also check out Ulez equivalent restrictions in European towns. Warning triangle, bulb set and UK sticker….

Its not the winning but taking part! or is it taking apart?
Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
Jai Sharma
Megaposter

« Reply #2 on: 10 December, 2023, 09:33:17 AM »

In France you are also supposed to carry a breathalyser and a hi vis gilet.
HBG
Megaposter

« Reply #3 on: 10 December, 2023, 09:55:27 AM »

I'll look into the low emissions rules for France and Belgium. I didn't have any Critair sticker this summer when I rode through France twice and didn't seem to need it as I wasn't in large cities.

MOT is a good idea.

I've got a high viz and triangle in the car. Also tow rope and jump leads.

I'll take a few tools. Don't think a breathalyser is required anymore.
poppy67

« Reply #4 on: 10 December, 2023, 10:13:45 AM »

The breathalyser law never came to fruition, due to the minister promoting it had a vested interest in a manufacturer of the testing kits !!

Tow ropes are illegal, you need a rigid towing bar.

Basically, having resided in France for over 10 years, the law is only upheld when or if it suits them, kind of lax, which suits some.

Bonne vacance.
lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #5 on: 11 December, 2023, 08:27:20 AM »

You cannot get a critair sticker for Fulvia or any car older than around 20-25 years, so its basically the lowest category. Ulez is interpreted by individual towns and cities and varies from country to country. If you have a hotel in a historic area of certain cities you have rights to drive to and from…..

A few spare replacement in line fuel filters may come in handy if ones car has been subject to long term storage where the fuel tank can rust gently inside providing very fine junk that will block filters etc after some long and spirited driving….

Its not the winning but taking part! or is it taking apart?
Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #6 on: 11 December, 2023, 09:22:21 AM »

Hi folks.

Have booked le Shuttle for a two night trip to Bruges between Xmas and New Yr.

I'm no stranger to motoring abroad but wonder what old car specific items I need to consider? I've a '76 1.3 Fulvia in what appears to be good condition. I've probably driven a couple of thousand miles since I've had it.

Insurance, breakdown cover (might be included in Hagerty insurance), log book, haven't got an MOT.....

What else?

You should be covered by Hagerty, but as I haven't been abroad lately I'm not sure,.
I've found the most important things to take are your mobile phone, your recovery insurance details, Set of points if needed, and if you don't have hazard lights, a couple of magnetic warning  hazard lights to place in a visible position, and don't forget a torch.
Brian
8226  Cool

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
Spider2

« Reply #7 on: 16 December, 2023, 09:15:51 PM »

I did a big European trip this summer and nearly got caught out because I did not have an MOT. A week before departure I checked the small print of my breakdown insurance and discovered that a vaild MOT was required. Luckily it passed with flying colours. Check your small print.
HBG
Megaposter

« Reply #8 on: 17 December, 2023, 04:47:16 PM »

Thanks all.

Passed its MOT on Friday, finished the hazard lights today, UK sticker attached, Hagerty confirmed insurance cover for Europe is still fully comp and RAC cover is included. Need to check what RAC cover it is though....
Wangler
Megaposter

« Reply #9 on: 17 December, 2023, 08:05:28 PM »

I did a big European trip this summer and nearly got caught out because I did not have an MOT. A week before departure I checked the small print of my breakdown insurance and discovered that a vaild MOT was required. Luckily it passed with flying colours. Check your small print.

Which company are you with for breakdown insurance?

In my standard Insurance Product Information Document LV/Britannia says: “Vehicles must have a valid MOT and be taxed if required by law”

However, in their general blurb they say they don’t cover: A car that's not roadworthy or is without valid road tax or an MOT

Best to get an answer in writing, although my documents indicate that an MOT isn't required.

Fulvia Coupe 1976
Fulvia Coupe 3 1975
HBG
Megaposter

« Reply #10 on: 17 December, 2023, 08:47:52 PM »

I'm insured by Hagerty and they confirmed that RAC European cover is in place. I don't yet know if it's the equivalent of AA 5 - star I have for my bike.
davidwheeler
Permanent resident

« Reply #11 on: 18 December, 2023, 09:25:33 PM »

They brought my lambda home from Turin.    Took a while though.

David Wheeler.  Lambdas, Aprilia, Fulvia Sport.(formerly Appia and Thema as well).
Spider2

« Reply #12 on: 19 December, 2023, 11:24:41 AM »

"They brought my lambda home from Turin". 
Sounds like there is a story there!
HBG
Megaposter

« Reply #13 on: 19 December, 2023, 07:42:38 PM »

Let's hope I can bring my Fulvia home without assistance!
chriswgawne
Permanent resident

« Reply #14 on: 20 December, 2023, 08:23:01 AM »

Bit late reading this one.
For me, number 1 is a Smartphone followed by breakdown cover and then in the boot fan belt(s) , points, fuel filter (only if there is any doubt about the condition of the tank) , fuel pipe, fuses, bulbs, water, oil, brake fluid and windscreen washer fluid with possibly a spare wiper blade in winter. Assuming you have a 'travelling' tool kit ensure you have some wire ( strong enough to replace an exhaust bracket say. . Beyond that there is a rule that says that if for example you carry a spare dynamo, your dynamo will NEVER play up when you are away.
Bon voyage.
Chris

Chris Gawne
Mobile: 07778 216552
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd