Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
27 April, 2024, 08:36:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fulvia tyres  (Read 2427 times)
JollyClubUK
Megaposter

1971 Fulvia S2 1.3s fast road spec

« Reply #15 on: 27 November, 2023, 07:47:11 AM »

Looks great Glyn sits perfectly on the tarmac.
Wangler
Megaposter

« Reply #16 on: 27 November, 2023, 11:27:11 AM »

Nick - if you're feeling like treating yourself to an expensive Christmas present:

https://ricambilanciafulvia.it/en/product/lowered-rear-leaf-springs-fulvia-corsa-available-soon/

Fulvia Coupe 1976
Fulvia Coupe 3 1975
Nick2022

« Reply #17 on: 28 November, 2023, 11:37:40 PM »

Hmmm......tempted
andyps
Megaposter

« Reply #18 on: 29 November, 2023, 01:39:56 PM »

Hi Nick,

This is very timely since I am in the middle of replacing my S2 1600HF tyres and also deciding on the future of my wheels (Cromodora 14x6J).

The Owners handbook specifies Michelin XAS 175 14.  Their profile is not explicitly given, but in its absence you can assume that is 80%.  I have been using a 175/80 Firestone tyre, but the Michelin XASs are now available from Longstone Tyres (Wangler has provided a link) and I have just bought a set. Putting them alongside the Firestones is interesting - the XASs have an asymmetric tread pattern (the outer and inner faces are marked) and a rounded shoulder - the Firestones are quite square in comparison.  My Firestones are also over 20 years old (with surprisingly little wear, so they must be a very hard compound), and I am hoping the new tyre will make the steering a bit lighter at low speeds on grippy surfaces.

There is a really interesting interview with Dougal from Longstone Tyres on the latest episode of The Intercooler podcast where he talks about why period correct tyres suit classic cars so well. Link to the podcast here - https://www.the-intercooler.com/library/podcasts/all-podcast/
GlynW

Fulvia S2 1600HF (1971)

« Reply #19 on: 29 November, 2023, 08:10:46 PM »

There is a really interesting interview with Dougal from Longstone Tyres on the latest episode of The Intercooler podcast where he talks about why period correct tyres suit classic cars so well. Link to the podcast here - https://www.the-intercooler.com/library/podcasts/all-podcast/
Thanks, Andy.  The tubed/tubeless question has also been addressed by Dougal from Longstone Tyres on You Tube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWJ-tWP3iU0.  This link was originally posted by Beckerman67 in a Fulvia Forum thread in April 2023, but it is worth adding here, just for completeness.
waterman42

« Reply #20 on: 30 November, 2023, 01:33:23 PM »

Nick - if you're feeling like treating yourself to an expensive Christmas present:

https://ricambilanciafulvia.it/en/product/lowered-rear-leaf-springs-fulvia-corsa-available-soon/

Well I was gearing up to doing the business with the silentblocs and heavy weights in boot as per earlier description until reading this. If the adjustment can be done by the method described, why buy these springs?     

Hugh A
25 years an Alfa 105er
but finally an S3 Fulvia
lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #21 on: 30 November, 2023, 04:57:34 PM »

Well I was gearing up to doing the business with the silentblocs and heavy weights in boot as per earlier description until reading this. If the adjustment can be done by the method described, why buy these springs?     

Best to try setting the rear springs IMHO..
Also been following this tyre business as I run tubeless wire wheels on my TR6 after tube blowouts on tubed wire wheels and for the last 20 years I have run a variety of tubeless tyres on original cromodoras and campagnolas on 3 Fulvias and do 10,000 km a year without issue. Everyone is entitled to their opinions, what!

Its not the winning but taking part! or is it taking apart?
Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
Wangler
Megaposter

« Reply #22 on: 30 November, 2023, 06:54:46 PM »

I don’t know, but my thinking, which I’m quite happy for someone to shoot down in flames, is that you are compressing something to an abnormal extent (that is to say more than the weight it has naturally got) then locking it in position.

To me, that doesn’t really seem a satisfactory engineering solution. Surely is better for it to sit as it should do (or as perhaps you want it to) without the addition of any weights to make it do achieve it. The springs and all the attachments are under permanent stress when you compress them and then lock them all into position. I just don’t like the sound of it.

Fulvia Coupe 1976
Fulvia Coupe 3 1975
lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #23 on: 30 November, 2023, 09:53:04 PM »

I don’t know, but my thinking, which I’m quite happy for someone to shoot down in flames, is that you are compressing something to an abnormal extent (that is to say more than the weight it has naturally got) then locking it in position.

To me, that doesn’t really seem a satisfactory engineering solution. Surely is better for it to sit as it should do (or as perhaps you want it to) without the addition of any weights to make it do achieve it. The springs and all the attachments are under permanent stress when you compress them and then lock them all into position. I just don’t like the sound of it.
Its what Lancia designed. I think they knew a thing or two.

Its not the winning but taking part! or is it taking apart?
Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
nistri
Megaposter

« Reply #24 on: 01 December, 2023, 07:51:49 AM »

When playing with rear springs and weights it is advisable to check the correct operation of the brake limiter valve of S2/3 cars. IMHO the red coupe that looks too high at the back is in fact far too low at the front.

Andrea Nistri

Ardea S2
Appia S2
Fulvia GTE
Fulvia Sport 1.3 S
Fulvia Montecarlo
Fulvia Coupe 1.3 S
Wangler
Megaposter

« Reply #25 on: 01 December, 2023, 02:28:06 PM »

Its what Lancia designed. I think they knew a thing or two.

Fair point - I did ask for it!

A question though. If you were to take an unmolested original Fulvia and undo all the links etc. ready to compress the springs with weights, by how much would it rise?

Fulvia Coupe 1976
Fulvia Coupe 3 1975
nistri
Megaposter

« Reply #26 on: 01 December, 2023, 04:04:07 PM »

Despite my fairly high mileage I never had the need to replace or reset the rear springs even though I did replace a number of bushes. At the front it looks as if the car needs new rubber buffers that link the transverse spring to the suspensions. These deteriorate often and should be seen as consumables. Please note that, on the market, there are short and long buffers; however, the original ones are the long ones and hopefully should be made with rubber material that does not perish very quickly. Modern replacements can be of poor quality.

Andrea Nistri

Ardea S2
Appia S2
Fulvia GTE
Fulvia Sport 1.3 S
Fulvia Montecarlo
Fulvia Coupe 1.3 S
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd