Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
27 April, 2024, 03:15:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Suppressed HT lead  (Read 747 times)
HBG
Megaposter

« on: 05 August, 2023, 01:39:29 PM »

Hi folks.

A while back before I finally got my Fulvia on the road I changed the lamps to Leds. All except the headlights which I may do in the future.

All was well and me happy. However I didn't test them with the engine running. I have a problem which is that the indicators flicker in the flash. The supplier who I've been very happy with has suggested that the ht lead between the coil and distributor should be suppressed to prevent electrical interference.

Can you tell me what suppressed leads look like and where I should get from? For what it's worth, I'm considering a 123 electronic ignition, would this make any difference?

Thanks as always.
lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 05 August, 2023, 01:44:03 PM »

123 generates more coil energy so to answer your question it will make more inference not less. There are 2 types of ignition lead. "carbon string" being the most common and probably on your car already. These are used to suppress ignition electrical noise. Original leads may have been copper core which provide no suppression.

Its not the winning but taking part! or is it taking apart?
Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
HBG
Megaposter

« Reply #2 on: 05 August, 2023, 03:02:51 PM »

Thanks Tim.

If I already have the carbon string leads is there anything further I can do? I'll be speaking to the led supplier for ideas too.

The leads I have are dark green colour and very classic looking. I can't check them for a couple of weeks as I'm away now, just had time to follow up on this.

Thanks.
davidwheeler
Permanent resident

« Reply #3 on: 06 August, 2023, 03:24:32 PM »

I have an electronic ignition set with a very HT coil and have also gone for LED side lights though not for the indicators.  I have not noticed any problems though I have not specifically looked at the lights from outside!

David Wheeler.  Lambdas, Aprilia, Fulvia Sport.(formerly Appia and Thema as well).
HBG
Megaposter

« Reply #4 on: 19 August, 2023, 06:45:03 PM »

Back from holiday now.

Is there a way I can check what type of HT leads I have? Will the core be visible anywhere?

Thanks
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd