Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 April, 2024, 08:34:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Centre brake light  (Read 1655 times)
HBG
Megaposter

« on: 13 June, 2023, 07:29:55 PM »

Hi folks.

I've sourced an led third brake light which I'll be sticking to the rear screen glass at the bottom. I'll route the cable under the parcel shelf into the boot and then to the brake lights to pick up power and earth.

Two questions, would you run two wires all the way or just a single core for power and then earth to the body close to the light?

What cable would you use? A twin double insulated type or two single cores? What colours? Red or yellow? What size conductor?

Thanks.

SanRemo78
Rebel Poster

« Reply #1 on: 13 June, 2023, 07:40:31 PM »

Just pick up a signal feed to one of the existing wires to the rear brakes, try to use the same colour coding and earth out at any convenient location using a black wire.

Guy
Wangler
Megaposter

« Reply #2 on: 16 June, 2023, 06:07:29 AM »

Have you replaced the stop, tail and indicator bulbs (including front indicators) with LEDs?

I replaced mine and they are much brighter than the originals, which seemed to be pretty dim. I was a bit worried that people wouldn’t see me indicating right and being stuck in the road feeling a bit vulnerable. They’re not ridiculously bright, but they are as you would expect of a modern car. You would need to put a different flasher unit in, which is very easy to do. IMO it’s an important safety measure.

Fulvia Coupe 1976
Fulvia Coupe 3 1975
HBG
Megaposter

« Reply #3 on: 16 June, 2023, 07:33:59 PM »

Hi. I've recently replaced all of the exterior lamps with LEDs, except the headlights which I'll do at some point. Much brighter as you say. I'll still add the centre light soon. The item I have will be stuck to the bottom of the rear screen inside. It needs a bit of fettling to make right but I'll post up some pics when I get a chance.
oldracer

« Reply #4 on: 18 June, 2023, 03:30:03 PM »

Have you replaced the stop, tail and indicator bulbs (including front indicators) with LEDs?

I replaced mine and they are much brighter than the originals, which seemed to be pretty dim. I was a bit worried that people wouldn’t see me indicating right and being stuck in the road feeling a bit vulnerable. They’re not ridiculously bright, but they are as you would expect of a modern car. You would need to put a different flasher unit in, which is very easy to do. IMO it’s an important safety measure.

Sounds like a worthwhile safety upgrade for most old cars, can you recommend a supplier? I assume fitting is as straightforward as removing the lens covers and swapping out the bulbs?

1972 1.3 Fulvia berlina S2
1937 DKW F7
HBG
Megaposter

« Reply #5 on: 19 June, 2023, 06:48:22 AM »

Fitting was completely straightforward, lamps supplied by classic car leds. Advice freely given by them.

https://www.classiccarleds.co.uk

The most difficult bit being to get the rear lenses back on and sitting in their rubber seals correctly, which was a fiddle.
oldracer

« Reply #6 on: 19 June, 2023, 04:43:09 PM »

Perfect, thanks

1937 DKW F7
oldracer

« Reply #7 on: 11 July, 2023, 04:38:21 PM »

On the subject of lighting, does the Fulvia have hazards? Not that I've needed them (touch wood) but it would seem a useful upgrade if not.

1937 DKW F7
HBG
Megaposter

« Reply #8 on: 11 July, 2023, 05:43:20 PM »

I've not found any on my Fulvia 3. I'll be fitting some soon I expect.
nthomas1
Rebel Poster

« Reply #9 on: 11 July, 2023, 07:52:19 PM »

Howard - I thought hazard flashers were standard on Series 3.  The S3 wiring diagram that I've got shows them as item 39.   If you don't have them and you want to see how I went about fitting them to my S2 you can see the step by step approach starting on page 38 of my forum thread "slow S2 rebuild". Cheers, Norm

Norm Thomas
Ormskirk, Lancashire

Own:
1973 Fulvia S2 Coupe
Previous Lancias: S2 Coupe and S3 Coupe in late 1970s
HBG
Megaposter

« Reply #10 on: 11 July, 2023, 10:07:40 PM »

Thanks Norm. If they are there, I haven't found them. I'll need to look closer.
lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #11 on: 12 July, 2023, 05:57:30 AM »

Thanks Norm. If they are there, I haven't found them. I'll need to look closer.
the original fit hazard system may not work with LEDs…… It is operated by one (lhs?) of the center console pull switches normally.

Its not the winning but taking part! or is it taking apart?
Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
nthomas1
Rebel Poster

« Reply #12 on: 12 July, 2023, 01:16:56 PM »

Interestingly, the 2nd edition Fulvia 3 owner's handbook that I have shows a wiring diagram simply titled  "Wiring Diagram" (presumably the RHD version), which shows no hazard flashers.  Furthermore there's no reference to hazard flashers in the section where dashboard controls are shown.  The same handbook shows a wiring diagram entitled "RHD Car Wiring Diagram - on cars intended for countries where the fitting of hazard signalling is required". This latter diagram shows the hazard flasher as item 39.

So it looks like, at least for UK cars up to those with the edition 2 handbook, there were no hazard flashers.

Norm Thomas
Ormskirk, Lancashire

Own:
1973 Fulvia S2 Coupe
Previous Lancias: S2 Coupe and S3 Coupe in late 1970s
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd