Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
29 April, 2024, 04:35:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fulvia series 1 tick over solution  (Read 1174 times)
John.Morton50

« on: 09 April, 2023, 10:58:07 AM »

Wise members of the Lancia Forum! Here are my humble experiences fixing the unstable tick over previously noted-  I removed and stripped down both carburettors (Solex PHH35s) and found there was extensive wear to the carb body around the spindle shafts. The shafts are steel, running directly in the cast aluminium of the carb body. There are PTFE(?) seals at either end of the shaft and these had hardened and worn. The net result was that there was detectable wobble at the inner end of both spindles resulting in air leaks when on tick over (when the butterflies are closed).
I obtained oversized spindles (8.2mm instead of the original 8mm), replacement butterflies for one carb (as I had damaged them by snapping off a screw head) and new 8.2mm seals from Solex/Dell Orto. I found a couple of cheap reamers on the internet, 8.1mm and 8.2mm for opening out the holes for the spindles. In fact the 8.1mm reamer fell into the inner hole on both carbs without removing any metal showing how much wear there really was, fortunately the 8.2mm reamer did in fact remove some metal so all was well. Reassembly was straight forward although getting the butterflies to sit correctly involved loosening the screws and flipping the spindles against the springs repeatedly.
Once the carburettors were reinstalled the engines started straight away and after adjusting the mixture controls settled down to an even tick over. Problem solved? It seems so, although I also had an issue with an oil-up spark plug. The only other thing is that the front carburettor with the new butterflies is now quite noisy on tick over, a kind of screeching noise which I assume is the air squeezing past the butterflies. The machined edges of the butterflies (13 deg) where very sharp compared to the originals, maybe I should have eased the metal slightly before reassembly.
I am very relieved to have got it all finished and pleasantly surprised at how much improved the starting is, I have never undertaken anything so drastic on carburettors before. Maybe wear on the carbs is a primary cause of old Fulvias reluctance to get going?
Happy Fulvia-ing to all!
John

lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 09 April, 2023, 01:54:54 PM »

Hello John

Screeching noise could be a dodgy gasket not sealing or the rubber mount time expired.

Its not the winning but taking part! or is it taking apart?
Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
nistri
Megaposter

« Reply #2 on: 09 April, 2023, 02:32:23 PM »

Congrats for the good work done to the carbs. However, do check that the distributor is working fine and that it has no play. Andrea

Andrea Nistri

Ardea S2
Appia S2
Fulvia GTE
Fulvia Sport 1.3 S
Fulvia Montecarlo
Fulvia Coupe 1.3 S
John.Morton50

« Reply #3 on: 13 April, 2023, 11:13:22 AM »

Tim
you were on the money here - the screeching noise is caused by the rubber coming away from the metal on the resilient carb mounting. I notice that the rubber is already perishing, this was a brand new item from Pieces-Fulvia costing euro 112.5 and is a piece of junk. It shall be returned with a snotty note - this is the second time I have had issues with after market supplied parts, the master cylinder saga was the last one. It just seems to be the (lack of) quality of the rubber used in the remanufacture.
Have you any thoughts on where to get a decent one from?
John
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #4 on: 13 April, 2023, 11:18:47 AM »

Tim
you were on the money here - the screeching noise is caused by the rubber coming away from the metal on the resilient carb mounting. I notice that the rubber is already perishing, this was a brand new item from Pieces-Fulvia costing euro 112.5 and is a piece of junk. It shall be returned with a snotty note - this is the second time I have had issues with after market supplied parts, the master cylinder saga was the last one. It just seems to be the (lack of) quality of the rubber used in the remanufacture.
John
I've used seek and seal liquid that successfully sealed the cracks on one.
Brian
8227 Cool

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #5 on: 13 April, 2023, 11:46:58 AM »

Tim
John
Sent you an email

Its not the winning but taking part! or is it taking apart?
Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
davidwheeler
Permanent resident

« Reply #6 on: 14 April, 2023, 04:03:50 PM »

Omicron?   They do most things for Fulvia (and rebuild the carbs too).

David Wheeler.  Lambdas, Aprilia, Fulvia Sport.(formerly Appia and Thema as well).
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd