Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
27 April, 2024, 12:31:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Safety items.  (Read 1917 times)
HBG
Megaposter

« on: 26 March, 2023, 09:23:46 AM »

So here goes, the car isn't here yet but I've started looking about so that I can get these items sorted quickly when it arrives.

Seat belts. The static belts have to go. I can see various reasonably priced belts listed to retrofit to Fulvias, most of which attach the belt reel at shoulder height behind the B pillar. It seems to me that this isn't great should you have someone small in the back. What do you think? Also some of the lower cost belts aren't fully enclosed which I think is a bit odd.

I've also seen an installation where the reel is behind the rear side trim panel, in the void. This has a deflector at the B pillar. Looks neater but I don't know how the belt exits through the panel.

Any recommendations for belt supply and method of installation gratefully received.

The second item I'd like to attend to is the exterior lighting. The car will be used in town a lot and I don't want to get flattened by a large SUV, so I'd like to make the rear lights brighter by using LEDs and fitting a generic centre brake light. Any suggestions as to supply, experience or wiring diagrams would be appreciated.

That's enough for now. My other query regarding underseal/ protection will wait for a bit later.

Nice to meet you all,

HBG

* IMG-20230319-WA0014.jpg (228.39 KB, 1600x1200 - viewed 38 times.)
lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 26 March, 2023, 10:18:41 AM »

Re underseal/protection a member has used (and was pleased).

https://www.waxoyltreatment.co.uk/home/waxoyl-treatment-centers/

I have no connection with these people (I waxyol my own cars...) but if you want some one else to do...

Its not the winning but taking part! or is it taking apart?
Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #2 on: 26 March, 2023, 11:07:13 AM »

I have no connection with these people (I waxyol my own cars...) but if you want some one else to do...
I've been waxoyling my 2c every year for the last 23 years,
And generally, it's been well worth doing,
You'll be lucky if you ever stop rusting completely, but the waxoyl has certainly helped.
Brian
8227 Cool
For inside cavities and doors, I use Dinitrol. You can also purchase a long extension that gives a fan effect to cover all around that fits the spray can.
« Last Edit: 28 March, 2023, 02:03:50 PM by fay66 » Logged

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
Wangler
Megaposter

« Reply #3 on: 26 March, 2023, 11:07:22 AM »

I thoroughly recommend LEDs for brake lights and indicators in particular, although it's not worth using them in the small repeaters IMO. Headlamps/driving lights too because they will considerably reduce the work the alternator has to do as well as make a huge difference to night driving. You'll need to replace the indicator blinker unit (under the dash on the left hand side) with an electronic one as the current draw on the LEDs will not be not sufficient to activate the make-and-break system. The electronic unit is actually a timer. A simple and inexpensive swap.

Be careful with your choice of LEDs for the headlights and driving lights. There are some very cheap ones on the market that give lots of light, but will be completely out of focus due to the position of the LED array. Classic Car LEDs have always been very helpful.

You'll need to change the outers to RHD and although they're not an original fitment I found that Hella 5 3/4 inch units as fitted to TVR Griffith cars work very well as direct replacements, although you may have to put a sleeve (or tape) over the side light holder to make it a tight fit.

* E3607A2B-EAD6-461F-BFFB-08CA635A33A8.jpeg (3382.6 KB, 4032x3024 - viewed 42 times.)
« Last Edit: 26 March, 2023, 12:18:11 PM by Wangler » Logged

Fulvia Coupe 1976
Fulvia Coupe 3 1975
HBG
Megaposter

« Reply #4 on: 26 March, 2023, 11:49:55 AM »

I've been waxoyling my 2c every year for the last 23 years,
And generally, it's been well worth doing,
You'll be lucky if you ever stop rusting completely, but the waxoyl has certainly helped.
Brian

I'll definitely be doing it myself, been researching the various products. I recall reading somewhere an article on treating the Fulvia cavities but can't remember where it is. Are there access holes to treat the inside of the sills?
HBG
Megaposter

« Reply #5 on: 26 March, 2023, 11:53:50 AM »

I thoroughly recommend LEDs for brake lights and indicators in particular, although it's not worth using them in the small repeaters IMO. Headlamps/driving lights too because they will considerably reduce the work the alternator has to do as well as make a huge difference to night driving. You'll need to replace the indicator blinker unit (under the dash on the left hand side) with an electronic one as the current draw on the LEDs will not be not sufficient to activate the make-and-break system. The electronic unit is actually a timer. A simple and inexpensive swap.

Be careful with your choice of LEDs for the headlights and driving lights. There are some very cheap ones on the market that give lots of light, but will be completely out of focus due to the position of the LED array. Classic Car LEDs have always been very helpful.

You'll need to change the outers to RHD and although they're not an original fitment I found that Hella 5 3/4 inch units as fitted to TVR Griffith cars work very well as direct replacements, although you may have to put a sleeve (or tape) over the side light holder to make it a tight fit.

Thank you
Wangler
Megaposter

« Reply #6 on: 26 March, 2023, 11:58:21 AM »

I've not got much experience of the various rust inhibitors out there, but Harry's Garage and others swear by ACF-50. it's a low viscosity formula that seems to creep into every crack and crevice. Very popular with bikers too it seems.

That said, it can need reapplying if it gets washed off by wet weather use. But I don't take my Fulvia out in the wet!

Fulvia Coupe 1976
Fulvia Coupe 3 1975
HBG
Megaposter

« Reply #7 on: 26 March, 2023, 01:18:30 PM »

I use ACF 50 on my bike, and will use it on visible and easily reached parts, probably not for the areas that I want to treat and forget about for a few years. It is good stuff though.
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #8 on: 29 March, 2023, 12:11:24 PM »

I'm slowly working out who's who with the "I've got a new Fulvia" threads.

How often is anyone going to sit in the back seat?   A harness can hook either to "parcel shelf" area (best angle for belt, not sure what the structure is like there or how easy to make it good enough) or in the gap between the rear seat back and cushion.  The harness will be a quick release hook, really only a job of moments.  The attachment could be a screw in eyelet that could be removed and a bung go in for days when you want it looking more standard.

A cafe racer option I've seen is an inertia reel for the rear mount for a three point harness so can reach forward for the choke or whatever else.  In an Aurelia the handbrake is under the dash.  I probably used to have the shoulder straps really loose driving to work.  I forget the details but I was able to have a pair of harnesses in the front and a lap strap hooked in the back for a baby seat.  Jason and Louise might have rigged a dog harness in a similar way.

David Laver, Lewisham.
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #9 on: 29 March, 2023, 12:29:52 PM »

Brake lights - I had little round rubber brake lights in the top corner of the rear windows, and indicators to match.

Consider a heated rear screen at the same time getting wiring done.

If wanting the rally look - how about a period "fog light" at the back for reversing?  Illegal on the road, everyone STARTS a rally with the cover on, which tend to fall off over the first bump.  It needs a switch and a warning light or illuminated switch.  Maybe a rear red fog as well?

If putting extra switches in...how about a panel with that rear reversing, the heated screen, and an override for the electric fan, the electric fuel pump.  Is there a heated front screen for Fulvias as yet?

I used this type https://www.trailertek.com/trailer-parts/rubbolite-button-side-marker-model-m50?gclid=Cj0KCQjww4-hBhCtARIsAC9gR3YpayZXCG_emRJ9vrhEPVLYgPCEEcG_rgUQeXlBU2IztATgAPWTbsoaAtu-EALw_wcB

That was before the era of LEDs so I bet there's something smaller and neater now. 

What I added to my godson's Austin 7 was a couple of USB sockets.  I had a headphone DIN type plug for power to the "potti-light" for rallies.  More recent navigation I've done with a little torch but the potti does look nice wired in on a hook "if you like that look".

I can't see the one I went for.  It had a voltmeter built in which was handy.  There's a world of choice...

https://www.carbuilder.com/uk/search?q=usb

For music a bluetooth speaker will do it.  Could wire a blue tooth amp into the speakers.  I did that with an old guitar amp as a bluetooth speaker.  This isn't what I used or would recommend - but a start on a search for one with a good review, 12v power etc etc.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/DollaTek-Bluetooth-Amplifier-TPA3116D2-Amplificador/dp/B083QF164T/ref=asc_df_B083QF164T/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=463025020240&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=2356578608925842064&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9044967&hvtargid=pla-910339015591&psc=1

David Laver, Lewisham.
Wangler
Megaposter

« Reply #10 on: 30 March, 2023, 10:16:29 AM »

A small slim Carello like this one is period correct. I've connected to the reversing lights circuit and it hasn't overloaded the circuit.

I like the look of it, others may not.

It's usually got its cover on.

* BCC0BCD2-B2F1-4AD1-A06B-2493EC6D8444_1_201_a.jpeg (2456.88 KB, 3024x2973 - viewed 34 times.)

Fulvia Coupe 1976
Fulvia Coupe 3 1975
JollyClubUK
Megaposter

1971 Fulvia S2 1.3s fast road spec

« Reply #11 on: 30 March, 2023, 12:12:47 PM »

A small slim Carello like this one is period correct. I've connected to the reversing lights circuit and it hasn't overloaded the circuit.

I like the look of it, others may not.

It's usually got its cover on.
Looks great that’s my next job to do.
Michael Tryton

« Reply #12 on: 30 March, 2023, 04:51:10 PM »

As it happens, I've got a couple of these period 1970s 'CARELLO' lamps myself, ideal for enhancing any classic 1970’s ALFA ROMEO, LANCIA, FIAT or FERRARI - especially as a reversing lamp.

Having recently sold my beloved Fulvia (after 28 years!) perhaps it's time to recover them from the loft & move them on to someone who'll make better use of them.  

Both my lamps are in super condition, as per photos: enlarge the images for a better view. They come with lovely chromed bodies and one (only) has a plastic 'CARELLO'-embossed cover. (Pics to follow, once website behaves itself - currently prevented...)

As authentic period items, they're both obviously 'used' but in excellent condition - check my photos - and can also confirm they've both been tested & are working properly.

A must-have addition for any Italian sporting classic.
1. Without cover: £65
2. With correct 'Carello' cover: £79

Plus Post & Packing - via DPD.

* DSC_0259.JPG (3516.67 KB, 4608x3072 - viewed 31 times.)
« Last Edit: 30 March, 2023, 04:54:30 PM by Michael Tryton » Logged
Michael Tryton

« Reply #13 on: 30 March, 2023, 04:58:42 PM »

Am persisting with adding a few pics of those Carellos, but only allowed one at a time.

Tedious - but here goes!

* DSC_0260.JPG (3625.72 KB, 4608x3072 - viewed 34 times.)
Michael Tryton

« Reply #14 on: 30 March, 2023, 04:59:18 PM »

And so on...

* DSC_0261.JPG (3663.63 KB, 4608x3072 - viewed 36 times.)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd