Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
29 April, 2024, 06:09:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Electronic ignition  (Read 4392 times)
nistri
Megaposter

« Reply #30 on: 24 March, 2023, 08:38:29 AM »

It is unlikely that a worn chain will give you rough running as described. Easy to check it with a static timing light if the advance data are different for cylinders 1 and 4. Very unusual that tensioners wear out unless the car has done intergalactic mileage. It is quite normal that the tensioner pad develops grooves even at low mileage. Replacing the timing chain of a Fulvia is not a trivial job and needs detailed experience. For replacing the tensioner the water pump must come out. I would explore more carefully various components of the fuel system as indicated by earlier comments. Good luck, Andrea

Andrea Nistri

Ardea S2
Appia S2
Fulvia GTE
Fulvia Sport 1.3 S
Fulvia Montecarlo
Fulvia Coupe 1.3 S
oldracer

« Reply #31 on: 06 April, 2023, 12:40:48 PM »

Quick update on the berlina - new fuel pump, plugs and leads fitted and she starts first time, every time.

Delighted, and thank you for all the useful tips and suggestions. Looking forward to a few runs out locally now.

Having collected the car I got a second opinion on the engine noise and the first suggestion was to check the valve clearances. With the cam cover off the chain can then be inspected in situ.

To my untrained ear it sounds no different to normal, and it drives no differently, but I will limit myself to short trips until I can get it into the 'new' workshop.

1972 1.3 Fulvia berlina S2
1937 DKW F7
chriswgawne
Permanent resident

« Reply #32 on: 06 April, 2023, 06:10:11 PM »

I have a couple of Mobelec Max transistor ignition modules. One is new and unused whilst the other appears to have had minimal use. They were bought some years ago for use on Fulvias. From what I remember they use the original points but take the load off them so they last longer. Also one gets a bigger spark so points gaps can be opened.
The modules which are exactly the same have a 3 way switch on the outside. Position 1 is Transistor ignition on, Position 2 is 'off' - a crude immobiliser and Position 3 is normal as in  'back to points' from memory
Because I cant give any guarantee for the 2nd one it comes foc with the first one which itself doesnt have fitting instructions although they will be available on the Internet.
Any reasonable offer considered..
Chris

Chris Gawne
Mobile: 07778 216552
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd