Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
29 April, 2024, 12:20:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Electronic ignition  (Read 4386 times)
oldracer

« on: 05 March, 2023, 06:15:02 PM »

I've searched through the last couple of years of posts and no-one seems to have asked, so has enyone fitted electronic ignition to a Fulvia?

If so, has it made a difference? I'm looking at the 123 system advertised by Omicron but £300 plus this and that plus fitting is no small outlay, especially if it doesn't improve starting which is my major niggle.

Is there a cheaper solution? Electronic ignition is banned in historic racing, but back in the day I was able to source some high-quality replacement distributor parts, coil and HT leads which made all the difference.

Interested to hear people's experiences and recommendations.

1972 1.3 Fulvia berlina S2
1937 DKW F7
Neil
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 05 March, 2023, 06:28:09 PM »

I would recommend the 123 distributor, fit and forget, there are quite a few fitted successfully to Fulvias in the South East with various engines sizes.

Neil   

1973 Fulvia S2 1.3
Jai Sharma
Megaposter

« Reply #2 on: 05 March, 2023, 07:01:28 PM »

in the HSCC I think Lumenition was permitted. I am not saying it is better than 123. Points that were available, I found, had a lot of problems after some prolonged high rpm use and when competing I had problems with misfires due to them. Perhaps they were of poor quality.
oldracer

« Reply #3 on: 05 March, 2023, 07:17:19 PM »

Thanks for the speedy reply chaps. Maybe 123 is the way to go then? Better start saving...

Jai, thanks for reminding me re the HSCC, seems like a lifetime ago. If I'm digging out old pics, I'll see if I still have the one Charlie Wooding took of all our cars.

I didn't specify but I meant electronic ignition was banned in FIA App K - I finally asked Doug Smith for the same kit Tom used on his MG and it worked a treat.

1937 DKW F7
Wangler
Megaposter

« Reply #4 on: 05 March, 2023, 10:00:31 PM »

I fitted 123 last year to my S3. I didn’t really need it, but it does seem to give a better tickover.

An easy installation, but go for the top entry distributor as I was told by Huib that it’s less tricky to fit than the side entry one, even though it looks better IMO. A Bosch Red coil and some decent HT leads finish it off well.

Fulvia Coupe 1976
Fulvia Coupe 3 1975
oldracer

« Reply #5 on: 06 March, 2023, 06:38:41 AM »

That answers that, thanks very much gents. Will report back once I've upgraded.

In the meantime will get a decent set of HT leads, a new coil, and give the inside of the cap a good clean.

1937 DKW F7
lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #6 on: 06 March, 2023, 07:51:32 AM »

I run Luminition on my Fulvias. I seem to remember the Lada distributor chopper set fitted the 1600 distributor, but maybe the 1300 has its own part number. It retains the mechanical advance so that needs to be in good order I run the cheap Lucas Sports coils. I have not had any issues with over 15 years and around 30000 miles between two cars.

Its not the winning but taking part! or is it taking apart?
Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
Scott
Megaposter

« Reply #7 on: 06 March, 2023, 08:37:15 AM »

For what it's worth my experience is similar to Tim's i.e. Lumenition system fitted many many years ago has been faultless.
dhla40

« Reply #8 on: 06 March, 2023, 09:34:27 AM »

The 123 distributor does not come with a drive gear so you need a spare if you want to keep the old distributor intact.

Sean

1976 1.3s coupe
1973 1.3s coupe
1982 montecarlo project
1976 alfa GT
1981 alfa spider
oldracer

« Reply #9 on: 06 March, 2023, 09:48:37 AM »

Now you mention it I had Lumenition on a few of my old race cars. Little grey box on the inner wing, much less intrusive than a whole new distributor system.

Also need to save up though so thinking sensible upgrades to help with cold-starting are an electric fuel pump, new plugs and new leads.

I can keep all of them if I go to Lumenition at a later date so it's not money wasted.

1937 DKW F7
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #10 on: 06 March, 2023, 03:31:36 PM »

Depends on how much money you want to spend!
For years, I've run a simple system that only uses the points as a trigger.
I have no complaints and has always been very reliable.
Another bonus is, with the flick of a  switch, I'm back to points if required.
I have also had an electric priming pump fitted for about 15 years.
Brian
8227 Cool
« Last Edit: 07 March, 2023, 10:10:13 AM by fay66 » Logged

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
Scott
Megaposter

« Reply #11 on: 06 March, 2023, 03:55:50 PM »

If you've not got money to burn and are after sensible upgrades then electric fuel pump and points seem popular choices.

I've opted for an electric fuel pump but only in terms of priming the carbs for cold starts. This was inspired from an article by Andrea Nistri many years ago in the club magazine and has certainly stopped me grimacing at the alternative of churning the engine over to get fuel from the tank to the carbs with the mechanical pump. Once primed however then it's normal starting where the standard mech pump does the business.

The choice of Lumenition was just general hassle with points. The last straw was, early on in my ownership, taking my car to a marque expert for a service who changed the points but stripped the holding screw leading to an alarming breakdown 20 minutes down the road whilst on a motorway with some seriously erratic timing as the points jumped loose. After fitting the Lumenition system myself a long time ago this has been super reliable; no problems at all.
Jaydub
Megaposter

« Reply #12 on: 06 March, 2023, 06:41:43 PM »

I have run an Historic Formula Junior single seater race car for 3 years ( Champion 2021& 22) with no misfires whatsoever. Bosch High Performance Blue Coil, Swiftune Condenser (never had one fail in 10 years) and Lucas points from Martin Jay ( distributor Doctor). Electronic ignition not allowed in our Class, buy not needed anyway. Historic Grand Prix cars in certain classes  aren`t allowed it either and again, set up properly with Swiftune condensers not usually any problems. If there were to be any problems, then it`s easier to replace points etc than having to carry a spare distributor fitted with an electronic system, and having to reset ignition timing etc by the roadside, IMHO.

1600 HF. S2.
oldracer

« Reply #13 on: 06 March, 2023, 11:00:34 PM »

Congratulations on the back-to-back championships, I take it that's with the HSCC? It's a few years since I was out with them.

I wasn't aware Nick had expanded into spares, he built my A-series in the early 2000s and it was a little gem. Condensers are too often overlooked so good to know where to get one which won't break down.

Looks like electric fuel pump, plugs and leads to start with, plus potentially coil and condenser for reliability.

1937 DKW F7
Wangler
Megaposter

« Reply #14 on: 07 March, 2023, 09:03:00 AM »

Having to churn the engine for ages is a common issue. I’ve never really got to the bottom of why it occurs, but when I had  a Fulvia S2 back in the 70s it simply never occurred.

Ther are cheaper ways of priming the system after the car hasn’t been started for a number of days. Cheapest and easiest of all is to use a rubber priming bulb as used by outboard boat engines. Alternatively a cheap fuel pump off eBay for about £12 should work fine just for priming rather than spending £100 on a Facet pump like I did! Once the system is primed for a a few seconds, switch it off and just turn the key. The standard mechanical pump should then do the job perfectly. If you go all electric for pumping fuel you will probably need to buy a pressure regulator, which adds to the cost.

Anyway, that’s my experience for what it’s worth.

Fulvia Coupe 1976
Fulvia Coupe 3 1975
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd