Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
29 April, 2024, 02:50:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Air Vents  (Read 1665 times)
Spider2

« on: 29 October, 2022, 04:03:59 PM »

The air vents on my S1 sport are in very poor condition as are most of the Lancia's I see. Recently on Wheeler Dealers Mike Brewer found an amazing company that did spray on chrome. The results were superb. Problem is that on brief examination removing the vents from the dash looks like quite a mission. To me it looks like one of those jobs that once you get it out you cannot get it back because you have broken an irreplaceable clip. Has anyone removed (and put back) a vent surround? If so hints please.
If these vents come out easily it would be a good plan to contact this company with a whole batch of vents so as to bring the unit cost down.
Simon
roddy

« Reply #1 on: 30 October, 2022, 04:20:54 PM »

The vents are held in place by a half-moon curved flat piece of thin spring steel, that has two protruding 'knobs' at each end.  These knobs locate into a hole in the vent and through into the locating backing tube of the dash panel/air trunking.  Using a small screwdriver or something similar, you need to prize the knob out of its locating hole, and also the same at the other end of the spring hoop, then the whole assembly slips out towards you.

Have a look with a torch first, with the vent fully open.  Hope this all makes sense, and good luck.  Regards -

Roddy Young
Dunfermline, Fife

1970 Fulvia Sport S1 1.3S
Spider2

« Reply #2 on: 30 October, 2022, 04:34:15 PM »

Thanks for the reply. Are these 'knobs' simply a press fit into the holes or is there some sort of twisting movement needed. As I first said I reckon this is a job just waiting to be messed up. Have you successfully removed and refitted any?
roddy

« Reply #3 on: 30 October, 2022, 04:53:27 PM »

What I am calling the 'knobs' is just like a short piece of plain round dowling, perhaps about 3mm in diameter and 5mm long, at right angles to the face of the little spring steel strip.  They do not need to press into the hole, but simply slide easily out and in of the holes.  It is the piece of quite thin and weak spring steel that is keeping them in place.  Obviously if the hole in the chrome plastic does not line up with the hole in the locating sleeve, then the pins will not fully slide home.  Yes I have removed and refitted them, as on the Series 1 Fulvia, it is the means of locating the dash top crash panel at its outer ends, and they need to be removed first if you are seeking to remove the top panel.  It is some years since I did it, when a new windscreen was fitted to my Sport. Hope of some help?  Regards - Roddy Young

Roddy Young
Dunfermline, Fife

Spider2

« Reply #4 on: 30 October, 2022, 05:09:47 PM »

Hopefully all will become clear when i have a careful inspection. Thanks. Do you want yours re-chromed?
roddy

« Reply #5 on: 30 October, 2022, 06:01:17 PM »

Thank you for the offer, but mine are perfect, so no thanks.  Regards -

Roddy Young
Dunfermline, Fife

my69S1

« Reply #6 on: 31 October, 2022, 08:31:00 PM »

Curious if your vents are metal or plastic.  I have one metal one, which I understand is correct, and one plastic after market one.  Does anyone have a spare metal one or know where they might be available?
Spider2

« Reply #7 on: 01 November, 2022, 01:33:00 PM »

Hi
My vents in my 1968 sport are metal. I have bought from a LMC member 2 spares as I am about to remove mine for re-chroming and knowing my luck I will bend/break/loose bits in the process.
I do not know whether the two I have bought are metal or plastic but when they I arrive will let you know. As long as my refurbishment goes to plan I may have one you can have.
my69S1

« Reply #8 on: 01 November, 2022, 03:19:46 PM »

Hi
My vents in my 1968 sport are metal. I have bought from a LMC member 2 spares as I am about to remove mine for re-chroming and knowing my luck I will bend/break/loose bits in the process.
I do not know whether the two I have bought are metal or plastic but when they I arrive will let you know. As long as my refurbishment goes to plan I may have one you can have.

Thanks Spider, that would be very much appreciated.  Here is a pic of an original one showing the pin at the base holding it in place.  If I recall they were pretty easy to remove.

* DSCN6640.JPG (200.6 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 64 times.)
Spider2

« Reply #9 on: 01 November, 2022, 04:03:56 PM »

Just removed one and it is plastic! I want to re-chrome it; has anyone successfully removed the flap? I am guessing that 55 years ago the pin that it swivels on was spring loaded, at least on one side anyway.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd