Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
27 April, 2024, 11:31:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hinging number plate.  (Read 1114 times)
Raahauge

« on: 13 October, 2022, 06:56:09 PM »

More help please. From period photographs I can see that the number plate on my car was transferred to the right hand side in the 1930's but it retained the spring and stops for LH usage. These were bypassed and the the plate was held by friction in more or less the correct position and manually turned to allow the opening of the boot.
I have rearranged the stops and connected the spring so that it works in the manner intended (I think) A chain holds the plate in the correct position when motoring and as the boot is opened the number plate is hinged out of the way by the spring
My arrangement with the chain however is rather crude and certainly not as it would have left the factory. The problem is the geometry and to make it work I have had to allow the chain to slide up a rod on the back of the number plate.
Can anyone help me please with photos or a sketch of the correct arrangement.
Regards
Mikenoangelo
Megaposter

« Reply #1 on: 13 October, 2022, 09:42:23 PM »

I'll post some photos tomorrow. Ours uses a chain, works perfectly and causes much amusement and interest when demonstrated. I kept it on the left side.
Mike Clark
Mikenoangelo
Megaposter

« Reply #2 on: 14 October, 2022, 07:17:34 PM »

Mine has a chain and works but I suspect something more sophisticated ( and complex) was originally in place! Here are some pictures which do show what appears to be the original attachment points, one of which is just a hook on the number plate while the other is like a hinge pin fixed to the boot lid. This has a threaded top so no doubt had some other fitting on to connect to the chain.

Mike

* Nimber plate chain1.jpg (113.4 KB, 640x480 - viewed 268 times.)

* Number plate spring 3.jpg (142.47 KB, 640x480 - viewed 114 times.)

* Number plate spring3.jpg (119.06 KB, 640x480 - viewed 269 times.)
Raahauge

« Reply #3 on: 14 October, 2022, 08:50:42 PM »

Mike, thanks, really helpful. I will have a look at mine again tomorrow to see what is different.
Running Board

« Reply #4 on: 19 October, 2022, 03:03:43 PM »

the use of a chain is correct for an alperton car

When it comes to Lancias, mine are State Of The Ark!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd