Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 09:43:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Indicators  (Read 1234 times)
Wangler
Megaposter

« on: 10 June, 2022, 07:53:45 AM »

My flasher unit wasn’t working very well so I decided to replace it with a modern one. It’s located near the steering column under the dash and is easily accessible. It’s a cylindrical aluminium unit a bit bigger than a 35mm film canister, with a red and a yellow wire attached. The body is the earth and it’s attached by a single Philips screw.

The old type works on the principle of using a strip that heats up when current goes through it, causes it to bend and makes and breaks its circuit, causing the lights to flash at a regular interval. If a bulb isn’t working the flash rate changes. They will not work with LEDs as they don’t provide enough resistance to the circuit.

Modern electronic flasher units are in reality a timer that makes and breaks the circuit irrespective of load, so they can be used with tungsten filament bulbs or LEDs or a mixture of both.

Anyway, LED turn lights now installed to complement my new stop & tail ones, although I’ve kept the small side repeaters with the standard bulbs. Not sure it’s worth doing the front bulbs if the reflectors are good (mine aren’t) but certainly the rear are a good safety improvement. If the front reflectors aren’t in good condition the LEDs more than make up for that.

Fulvia Coupe 1976
Fulvia Coupe 3 1975
RRomanis

« Reply #1 on: 11 June, 2022, 05:59:31 PM »

Hi
This seems like a really worthwhile upgrade.
Would you be able to share details of the supplier and spec for the flasher unit please.
I presume this works on cars with hazard warning lights?
Many thanks
Robert
Wangler
Megaposter

« Reply #2 on: 11 June, 2022, 10:16:45 PM »

Here you go:

CLASSIC CAR BRIGHT AMBER SMD LED INDICATOR BULBS BA15S GLB382
Negative Earth
4   £35.00 + VAT
12V ELECTRONIC INDICATOR / FLASHER RELAY WITH OE CLICKING SOUND - Relay Only
£8.25 + VAT

Don’t know about hazards but the guy at the below website is very helpful.

https://www.classiccarleds.co.uk/

« Last Edit: 11 June, 2022, 10:45:15 PM by Wangler » Logged

Fulvia Coupe 1976
Fulvia Coupe 3 1975
RRomanis

« Reply #3 on: 12 June, 2022, 08:34:04 PM »

Excellent
Many thanks
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator