Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 09:47:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tyres? - new Fulvia owner  (Read 2033 times)
coltom

« on: 29 May, 2022, 05:55:45 PM »

Hello all
I’ve rejoined the club recently after having first joined around 1981 when I bought a camel yellow Beta coupe 2000. I imported a series 1 Fulvia Rallye last year now being fettled. It needs new tyres. I’m looking at Cinturato CA67 145/45. Are these OK? Others have mentioned Vredesteins or Dunlop Classic. I know tyres can be a personal thing but any recommendations?
Thanks, Colin
Wangler
Megaposter

« Reply #1 on: 31 May, 2022, 07:16:10 AM »

Vintage tyres are selling the Dunlop Classics at a discount as they were manufactured a few years ago.

https://www.vintagetyres.com/shop/tyres/dunlop-sport-classic-165-80r14-85h

Depending on your rims you may well need tubes.

Fulvia Coupe 1976
Fulvia Coupe 3 1975
Mikenoangelo
Megaposter

« Reply #2 on: 31 May, 2022, 08:06:37 AM »

Take care if old stock - you might lose a slice of the recommended ten year life!
Mike Clark
Wangler
Megaposter

« Reply #3 on: 31 May, 2022, 09:40:26 AM »

That's why they're discounted Wink

It's also quite a complicated subject. If the car is kept in a garage on a clean floor where UV doesn't get the chance to degrade the rubber that's a big help, as well as keeping them properly inflated and moved now and again to stop any chance of flat spots.
« Last Edit: 31 May, 2022, 09:47:06 AM by Wangler » Logged

Fulvia Coupe 1976
Fulvia Coupe 3 1975
ITSA

« Reply #4 on: 01 June, 2022, 09:31:21 AM »

See here: http://www.lancia.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=13090.0

- Chris

Chris
Prisma, Dedra & Flavias from time to time
Wangler
Megaposter

« Reply #5 on: 01 June, 2022, 10:13:07 AM »

There's a mass of anecdotal stuff out there, but this is interesting from KwikFit:

Tyres are considered to be ‘new’ and are suitable for retail sale for, up to 5 years from the original date of production with recommended storage guidance from tyre manufacturers.

The industry standard for tyres, based on the German BRV recommendation, is the ‘5 year rule’ for new tyres.

Tyre ageing is commonly identified by small cracks, known as crazing, which appear in the tyre sidewall. This is brought about when UV light oxidises the rubber, causing it to dry out.

While tyres contain anti-oxidising chemicals which significantly slow down the rate of ageing, this wax-like substance is only released when the tyre is in motion. Therefore, if the tyre is not used frequently or is stored away ineffectively, they will age more quickly – rendering them unroadworthy when returned to use. Low mileage, older cars tend to be most at risk from premature ageing – as drivers assume the tyres are still in good condition if they have plenty of tread.

Fulvia Coupe 1976
Fulvia Coupe 3 1975
Richard Fridd
Permanent resident

« Reply #6 on: 01 June, 2022, 11:04:22 AM »

Does anyone know the cause of cracking within the tread grooves?
Richard

Richard Nevison Fridd                                                                      Happy Lancia, Happy Life
davidwheeler
Permanent resident

« Reply #7 on: 01 June, 2022, 11:12:06 AM »

The same as cracking on the sidewalls.   Such a tyre is scrap.  Cinturatos are highly rated and appropriate for an Italian car but more important is to have a matching set of modern tyres that fit.    Just how high a rating depends on how fast you drive.   My 1600 Sport is on Firestone Multihawk which suit me fine and are around £70 each.
« Last Edit: 01 June, 2022, 11:20:54 AM by davidwheeler » Logged

David Wheeler.  Lambdas, Aprilia, Fulvia Sport.(formerly Appia and Thema as well).
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd