Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
29 March, 2024, 07:22:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Italian drive shafts  (Read 1270 times)
simonandjuliet
Permanent resident

« on: 23 March, 2022, 01:17:48 PM »

I think that this has been done before but not written up for a while .....

If you are lucky enough to have the Italian drive shafts but the bearings are beginning to wear, I have found a simple , inexpensive solution that may be worth trying, especially if you have boxes of old tired ones like I do !!

The main issue is that grease doesn't get into the needle rollers because the holes get blocked up (I could go for ages about stripping and cleaning these) and the needle rollers rust and eventually break up - that's OK if they haven't damaged the inner cup because you just replace the needle rollers and regrease
However once the needles seize, they damage/break the inner cup and then the bearing is finished

I haven't seen the exact price of a bearing recently but I think that they cost about 100€ each , and there are 16 of them !!

So I found some suitable , modern bearings and lip seals to replace the innards

You need to remove the old seal and shim, scrape out the damaged needles and clean up the outer part.
Remove the cup from the spider

Once clean, fit the 2 x 5mm-thick bearings (I "glued" them in with permanent loctite) and the lip seal and you are done. I found that 2 bearings was 5 times less expensive than the 10mm thick bearing !

A few photos to explain.....

Bearings used :
61803-RS x 2 (size = 17x26x5mm)
Oil seal:
OA-17x32x5-NBR

Here in France the total cost was about 8€ in total, Simply Bearings had the same sizes but they were slightly more expensive

I haven't tried them yet so cannot vouch for the durability, but may be worth a try if you are stuck

* IMG_8322.jpeg (116.75 KB, 480x640 - viewed 352 times.)

* IMG_8324.jpeg (129.6 KB, 480x640 - viewed 426 times.)

* IMG_8326.jpeg (68.12 KB, 480x640 - viewed 351 times.)

* IMG_8327.jpeg (75.2 KB, 640x480 - viewed 420 times.)

AmilcarCGS, ApriliaCabrio,S2Aprilia,Ardea c'cino,S4 Ardea, Appia c'cino, Appia f'cino,B20 s4,4 R4 Sinpar, R4 Rodeo, 65 Moke, 2xR60 Tractor, 2xToselli 78, Moto Guzzi Ercole, Disco 3, Mini ALL4 JCW, Moto Guzzi Cardellino, Fulvia GT, RE Himalayan, Ypsilon
davidwheeler
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 23 March, 2022, 09:56:09 PM »

I did something similar many years ago and all is still well.   Your solution is better than mine though as I used full width needle bearings and original type "seals" but I wrap the entire joints in sticky black plastic to protect them.
« Last Edit: 23 March, 2022, 09:57:46 PM by davidwheeler » Logged

David Wheeler.  Lambdas, Aprilia, Fulvia Sport.(formerly Appia and Thema as well).
peterblenk

« Reply #2 on: 04 May, 2022, 03:14:42 PM »

Great idea. I have a pair of spare half-shafts (as I assume they are a weak point) but have baulked at equipping them with 16 new bearings at E100 each. The other thing I would suggest, if you have the half-shafts out, is to fit a second greaser to each spider, 180 degrees from the single greaser supplied by the factory as standard. I think that factory was being overly optimistic in assuming that the single greaser would routinely permit grease to reach all the bearings. Peter Blenk
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd