Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 04:49:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Augusta battery  (Read 2194 times)
Mikenoangelo
Megaposter

« on: 20 March, 2022, 12:41:19 PM »

I've been investigating a battery for the Augusta. I don't need one but having seen some cars with the wrong size poorly fitting battery I thought I'd see what does fit.
It turns out that the Citroen C1 and Toyota Aygo use a lead/acid 40Ah battery, 175mm long, 175mm wide and 190mm high which would fit. TAYNO Batteries stock an Enduroline  battery, 002L, for £52 delivered.

Mike Clark
donw
Megaposter

« Reply #1 on: 21 March, 2022, 11:13:19 AM »

6Volt?

Don Williamson
Member 111 joined 26th July 1963
1917 Theta 2str
1926 Lambda torpedo
1930 Artena berlina
1933 Belna coupe
MichaelElsom

« Reply #2 on: 21 March, 2022, 02:31:47 PM »

I have bought a 6v battery for my car in the recent past from Tayna.
I can't find the invoice but could easily measure etc if that would help.
The only trouble with using Tayna - or probably any other on-line battery retailer - is that they used to supply the batteries dry and send the acid for you to fill. Now they send them ready filled on a vast pallet!
Mikenoangelo
Megaposter

« Reply #3 on: 21 March, 2022, 08:50:00 PM »

12V - my car was converted by a previous owner in Italy. Sorry I did not think of that. It has a 12v coil and there must be a mod to the dynamo but the starter just turns faster. I added a voltage converter  to the windscreen wiper which previously worked but got hot.

Mike Clark
JohnMillham
Permanent resident

« Reply #4 on: 22 March, 2022, 08:09:00 PM »

Mine is 12 Volt, too. The dynamo is from a VW bus and looks the same as an original Augusta one, but is 12 Volts. I wouldn't go back to 6 Volts!
MichaelElsom

« Reply #5 on: 29 March, 2022, 09:27:48 AM »

Many years ago I thought I would have to convert my Nash to 12 volts as supplies of the long, 3 cell batteries which fitted on the running board were getting difficult. In addition they were made for Fork Lift Trucks which required no starting performance at all. My regular supplier locally then put an enormous 6 volt battery on the counter and suggested I try one of those. They are made for lorries - which use 4 - and have transformed the starting performance etc of the Nash. They were even up to my grey Fergie! I stick with 6v now as there are three pre-war cars in the garage and all 3 are on 6 volts - it stops me having to worry about keeping too many spare bulbs in stock!     
Charles

« Reply #6 on: 29 March, 2022, 01:12:24 PM »

I converted mine to 12 volts and it is a great improvement.  I used the original Bosch dynamo but with a Bosch voltage regulator (mounted pick-a-back like original) from a 12 volt VW Beetle.  I had to rewire the dynamo so that the field windings were energised directly from the voltage produced rather than from the battery as the new regulator works by dumping that circuit to earth as it reaches 13.5volts.  I put a resister in the field winding circuit as suggested by Morris Parry to prevent it being overloaded by the higher voltage.  I also mounted a slightly smaller pulley so that the unit spins a bit faster and produces 12 volts at a fast idle.  I have not changed the starter motor but I think that it now suffers less than before as starting is virtually instant so there is very little cranking.
« Last Edit: 29 March, 2022, 01:17:10 PM by Charles » Logged

Augusta berlina, Appia S3 berlina
Flaminia convertible 2.8 3c Touring
Beta spider S1 1600, Gamma berlina S1
Gamma coupe S1, Delta 1.6 multijet
MichaelElsom

« Reply #7 on: 04 April, 2022, 02:58:53 PM »

For anyone minded to remain a 6v Luddite like myself, the battery I have just re-fitted to CLM is as follows:
SHIELD Classic 404.
It is also marked 71AH  20HR, and below those markings appears G17
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd