Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 05:14:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Brake issues - technical question  (Read 5156 times)
DavidHill

« on: 10 January, 2022, 09:18:34 AM »

Morning,

After getting my Aprilia on the road after around an 8 yr and counting restoration i found that the brakes were really weak.  So have now taken all the drums off to investigate.  Have found the following: front brakes: drivers side shoes hardly move at all, passenger side shoes also hardly move at all and have a leaking cylinder. Rear brakes: Drivers side both shoes move well, passenger side one shoe moves well, other less so.

So can I conclude that the master cylinder is working ok, or could it be the issue causing both front brakes to hardly move?  (My car is a series two with a master cylinder labelled P25-30.)

cheers
David.
davidwheeler
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 13 January, 2022, 11:25:05 PM »

I would suspect all the seals and renew the lot.  Get a full set from Omicron, take off all the cylinders, unseize clean and restore them and do the same with the master cylinder which is itself a very simple thing compared with modern ones.    I would renew the hoses whilst I was at it also.    You may also find the aluminium shoes are binding upon the steel pins?pegs? on which they sit because of subtle corrosion.    Waste not 8 years work for threeha'pence. 

David Wheeler.  Lambdas, Aprilia, Fulvia Sport.(formerly Appia and Thema as well).
simonandjuliet
Permanent resident

« Reply #2 on: 14 January, 2022, 07:32:22 AM »

Also consider sending the cylinders and M/C to "Past Parts" in Bury st Edmonds (from memory) to get it all checked over. They will measure everything accurately and assess what is repairable. Over the years many cars have had 1st ser cylinders added to 2nd ser cars because the later stuff has been more difficult to source.
They have done several sets for me and I've been pleased at both price and service

Happy New Year

AmilcarCGS, ApriliaCabrio,S2Aprilia,Ardea c'cino,S4 Ardea, Appia c'cino, Appia f'cino,B20 s4,4 R4 Sinpar, R4 Rodeo, 65 Moke, 2xR60 Tractor, 2xToselli 78, Moto Guzzi Ercole, Disco 3, Mini ALL4 JCW, Moto Guzzi Cardellino, Fulvia GT, RE Himalayan, Ypsilon
DavidHill

« Reply #3 on: 14 January, 2022, 04:54:31 PM »

thanks for the replies David and Simon,

I managed to take the whole Master Cylinder off the Aprilia yesterday and today after some battling with a screw that blocks the piston from coming out once the circlip has been removed from the end, i dissembled the master cylinder.  The piston itself looks ok- as do the two seals. But on inspection of the bore i noticed that there is some small corrosion at the far end of the bore...this explains why the rear brakes were moving, but not the front - as the far end of the cylinder is supplying pressure to the front brakes and that's where the small corrosion is!  so now have to see whether it can be re-bored and sleeved or source a new one from Cavalitto's/Omicron....I also plan to replace all the wheel cylinder seals - just in case whilst they are off the car anyway...all the bores look pristine on the wheel cylinders...will keep you posted on progress...

Many thanks
David.
davidwheeler
Permanent resident

« Reply #4 on: 16 January, 2022, 11:07:46 PM »

My master cylinder has only one outlet, on the end thereof.  Dual brake circuits were not, to my knowledge, employed on Aprilias.    Thus the pressure acts equally on front and back.    I still think your front cylinders/shoes are seized.

* IMG (Copy).jpg (348.87 KB, 758x1050 - viewed 108 times.)
« Last Edit: 17 January, 2022, 09:52:22 AM by davidwheeler » Logged

David Wheeler.  Lambdas, Aprilia, Fulvia Sport.(formerly Appia and Thema as well).
DavidHill

« Reply #5 on: 17 January, 2022, 05:27:51 PM »

Hi David,
see attached pic of my Mastercylinder.  it has two outlets, the first one going to the rear brakes and the end one to the front. See also in the picture the brass piston from inside the cylinder. This has two seals and two pistons that are connected together via a shaft and a spring..so they can move independently a bit (not much)...so i think either one of the seals is not great, or there is pitting affecting just one seals, or the mechanism that allows the pistons to move slightly is not working? Does that make sense?

* mastercylinder.jpg (2776.97 KB, 3024x4032 - viewed 101 times.)
lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #6 on: 17 January, 2022, 06:33:57 PM »

Just out of interest where does the master cylinder reservoir feed in?

Its not the winning but taking part! or is it taking apart?
Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
DavidHill

« Reply #7 on: 18 January, 2022, 08:38:06 AM »

yes good question...from the steel top of the middle pipe out of the cylinder, the brass part of that pipe takes the feed to the rear brakes...
davidwheeler
Permanent resident

« Reply #8 on: 19 January, 2022, 10:32:30 AM »

Your cylinder is different from mine then and is perhaps a later modification.   Mine (SeriesI/II) has only the single cylinder.  The diagram (Tav.27) is from the series II book.   I am still not sure how it works as all the dual circuit cylinders I have worked with have two pressure outlets and a separate inlet from the reservoir.  Very strange...  Perhaps there is a non return valve in the line from the reservoir?  Otherwise, the pressure would merely displace fluid from the reservoir.

* IMGP4057 (Copy).JPG (589.83 KB, 1400x1050 - viewed 106 times.)
« Last Edit: 19 January, 2022, 10:39:59 AM by davidwheeler » Logged

Kari

« Reply #9 on: 19 January, 2022, 01:26:40 PM »

The master brake cylinder of David Hill looks like a SABIF P25-30. Here you'll find a description of it and how it functions. Sorry, Italian language.

https://www.registroaprilia.it/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/La-pompa-dei-freni-SABIF.pdf

Its stated that there is one connection at the front for all 4 wheel cylinders and the connection on the centre top accepts the pipe from the reservoir.

I hope that helps.

Karl
DavidHill

« Reply #10 on: 21 January, 2022, 09:00:36 AM »

Dear Kari,

thank you very much for pointing that out. My master cylinder is a Sabif P25-30 and the picture from the TAV does indeed show both front and rea brake lines coming off the same exit from the master cylinder, with the other fitting connecting the master cylinder to the brake reservoir. My rear brake lines were fitted to the reservoir point too, which is clearly wrong! I will have to fix that before refitting the master cylinder.  Many thanks!
David.

* brakes thumbnail_IMG_2752.jpg (548.25 KB, 960x1280 - viewed 112 times.)
davidwheeler
Permanent resident

« Reply #11 on: 23 January, 2022, 02:27:56 PM »

Thanks for the Tav which I have put into the technical information thread.

DavidHill

« Reply #12 on: 24 June, 2022, 10:08:08 AM »

I seem to be missing a small part in my front brake wheel cylinders - on the diagram part 28 seems to be a washer that distributes the spring load onto the seal. I am missing that and have talked to Omicron and they cannot supply one.  Any ideas on a) whether it is important to fit one , b) what the spec is if i need to make/source one?

* brake cylinder.jpg (873.24 KB, 1512x2016 - viewed 76 times.)

* brake tav.png (1115.57 KB, 822x1098 - viewed 77 times.)
simonandjuliet
Permanent resident

« Reply #13 on: 26 June, 2022, 08:51:52 AM »

I know that some are missing on my cars - and have been for a long time ..... try phoning Past Parts either for advice or the washer??

AmilcarCGS, ApriliaCabrio,S2Aprilia,Ardea c'cino,S4 Ardea, Appia c'cino, Appia f'cino,B20 s4,4 R4 Sinpar, R4 Rodeo, 65 Moke, 2xR60 Tractor, 2xToselli 78, Moto Guzzi Ercole, Disco 3, Mini ALL4 JCW, Moto Guzzi Cardellino, Fulvia GT, RE Himalayan, Ypsilon
chriswgawne
Permanent resident

« Reply #14 on: 26 June, 2022, 09:05:27 AM »

The washers are I believe the same as those used on Aurelia (up to and including S4 B20 on the front) aluminium front and rear brake cylinders.
They are brass, perforated and cupped with little clips to attach to the steel springs and are there I presume to give some support to the rubber seals. Naked springs without washers obviously work but they wont be as kind to the seals or offer as much support as when the correct washers are used.
I have never seen such washers for sale on their own.
Chris

Chris Gawne
Mobile: 07778 216552
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd