Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
29 March, 2024, 08:32:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Engine component balancing  (Read 9246 times)
ncundy
Lapsed
Rebel Poster

« Reply #15 on: 15 December, 2008, 08:57:36 PM »

Thanks John,
That makes sense - do they run it for long, and do they mark and drill ( /add weight) the crank in situ or mark it and remove it ?
I guess the thrust face on the Lambda pistons may have been slightly worn in profile ?
Thanks for the info gentlemen - it's all adding to the mix and hopefully getting me to the right place.
Neil

1969 Fanalone, Mazda RX-8, Fiat Multipla
JohnMillham
Permanent resident

« Reply #16 on: 16 December, 2008, 01:24:04 PM »

With both of my motors, I asked that, if possible, they would add weight, rather than remove it from the crankshafts. The Lambda ended up with weights added to the flywheel and fanbelt pulley, but the Augusta had weight added to the pulley, but a small amount removed from the periphery of the flywheel. With more modern, presumably stronger crankshafts, it would probably be OK to remove some weight from the crankshaft itself, if necessary. It's important to have the oil pump working, by the way, to enable the crankshaft to be kept full of oil, the weight of which would have an effect on the engine's balance. My Lambda pistons are a bit too much of a sloppy fit in the bores! Unfortunatley, not just "slightly worn".
 Regards, John
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd