Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 08:24:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: S2 Engine out  (Read 1630 times)
Paul Johnson

« on: 19 December, 2021, 08:38:26 PM »

All,
Your assistance on the removal of the engine is sought. I would be grateful to receive any suggestions, ideas and tips. I would like to keep a rolling chassis if possible as this will help with future projects,
Very much appreciated.
Paul

Ex-1972 Fulvia
Current-1972 Fulvia S2
davidwheeler
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 19 December, 2021, 09:31:28 PM »

It is possible to remove the engine from the car leaving the gearbox in situ though it is not very easy.  No particular problems though, just follow a logical progression.    I have done this with a series II Coupe at any rate.   Subsequently I have undone the 6 bolts and various connections and just lifted the car off the subframe assembly which gives access to everything much more easily!    Does rather block the garage though.

David Wheeler.  Lambdas, Aprilia, Fulvia Sport.(formerly Appia and Thema as well).
Rog

« Reply #2 on: 20 December, 2021, 12:10:41 AM »

Hi
I recently removed the engine on my Fulvia. As I was working on my own and don’t have a lot of space I decided to just remove the engine. In full disclosure, mines a series 1 Zagato - not a series 2. I’ve removed engines before but this was a first time for the Fulvia. I wouldn’t describe it as difficult as these things go  - it took me around 4 hours. Of course, a lot of that time was just figuring out what I was up to and familiarizing myself with everything. I’m sure you could do it in way less time if you’ve done it before….
You basically remove the radiator, a bunch of electrics, exhaust, engine/gearbox mounts etc.. then tilt engine up so you can slide the engine forward and up….there’s a great post describing the exact steps. I’ll see if I can find it.

Obviously the alternate (maybe more common?) approach of separating the body and subframe, is probably simpler - and David obviously attests to that. You clearly need to be able to lift the body to separate the subframe off….and somewhere to roll the subframe…I didn’t have that space.

Here’s a post I found regarding that approach.
http://www.lancia.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=2122.msg15176#msg15176

If you search on YouTube on Harry’s Garage channel you can find a video of the engine being removed from his Zagato - gives you an idea of what’s involved.

Rog.
« Last Edit: 20 December, 2021, 12:24:20 AM by Rog » Logged
Rog

« Reply #3 on: 20 December, 2021, 12:15:26 AM »

Here’s the link from Harrys garage on YouTube

https://youtu.be/rLxF2D3RveQ
« Last Edit: 20 December, 2021, 12:20:27 AM by Rog » Logged
lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #4 on: 20 December, 2021, 06:57:02 AM »

As Rog says it is not difficult to pull the engine out of the engine bay. I do this way always. If a coupe you do not even have to take the bonnet off.. you will need a hoist and a trolley jack or 2. I use an electric hoist that runs on an I beam in the garage and roll the car back out of the way as the engine comes up. The only tricky bit is getting the front of the sump to clear the subframe, hence jacking the gearbox up at the front (remove the upper mount).

Its not the winning but taking part! or is it taking apart?
Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator